Thread: Sucess finally

Default Sucess finally

Today I completed a journey that has taken me nearly a quarter of a century. I took my first flying lesson on July 1,1991 and today I became a licensed Private Pilot. I flew for the first time with my grandfather, John Worlow, at the age of 7. I always admired grandpa and wanted to be just like him. Flying and aviation has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember and today I feel like I accomplished a major milestone. Thank You's to everyone who supported and encouraged me over the years and to all of the instructors who had to endure my attempts to get it right.
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

Let me be the first to congratulate you on your accomplishment...remember...its only a license to learn...Be careful and enjoy the freedom of the sky...

Congratulations! You've opened up an entire new dimension.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Congratulations !
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I will see you in the skys if you come back to alaska, I will be hard to miss.

Congratulations! I'm taking ground school this spring and hope to start flying this summer after our trip up north to check out/work on the cabin. Now, if I can just get that pesky little FAA test thing out of the way....

Congatulations! Just think in a few weeks youll want your Instrument rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Adison View Post
    Today I completed a journey that has taken me nearly a quarter of a century. I took my first flying lesson on July 1,1991 and today I became a licensed Private Pilot. I flew for the first time with my grandfather, John Worlow, at the age of 7. I always admired grandpa and wanted to be just like him. Flying and aviation has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember and today I feel like I accomplished a major milestone. Thank You's to everyone who supported and encouraged me over the years and to all of the instructors who had to endure my attempts to get it right.
    CONGRATULATIONS . . . . . and welcome to a very special and unique fraternity.

Congrats! Now fly safe

Adison,

Congratulations!! Doesn't matter how long it took. You got there and thats what counts. There are individuals out there still dreaming about taking that introductory flight.

Like others have said, this is just beginning of a never ending learning experience. But I don't have to tell you this is one class room that will keep a smile on your face while taking it all in!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Congratulations, Addison. Glad you found the right instructor/school or whatever your solution turned out to be after your German control-freak female instructor/chief pilot problem.

When I first started taking flying lessons in 1958 it was $11.00 an hour dual and $6.50 per hour solo in a 65 hp Aeronca 7ac. 27,000 hours later, I am still learning. There are plateaus of learning as you go. 200 hours is one of them. 1000 and 2000 hours are a couple more. And then depending on where you go in aviation there are many more after that.

My first airtaxi flying job out of Fairbanks in the middle of the winter of February 1975, was a major plateau for me with my 1800 hours flying and giving flight instruction out of Seattle with cross country flights within the Pacific Northwest. Fortunately, there were some high-time pilots working for that Fairbanks company who mentored me into the realm of bad-weather sub-zero far-flung bush flying and I somehow survived with few problems other than being really nervous/anxious/scared on more than one occasion.

So take it incrementally as you go and try to avoid emotional decisions in regard to proceeding onward despite that inner voice telling you not to.

... today I feel like I accomplished a major milestone.
    You did accomplish a major milestone. I am glad you persevered.
    Patrick

Good for you, its a major accomplishment, since when you consider the number of people who start taking flying lessons vs the ones you actually finish and get a private pilot certificate. I got my private pilot certificate on May 20th this year its going to be 37 years ago! Have fun with your new certificate and privileges. I was paying 24 an hour with an instructor, not as cheap as Monguse. Then again 24 bucks was a lot of money back then when you could go to the local steak house and have a steak dinner with all the trimmings and only have to drop 6.50 dollars. Now the learning curve begins as Monguse stated.

Thanks everyone! I am probably more proud that I stuck it out and hung in there than I am about the actual license. I have flown enough over the years that I wasn't worried about the actual flight test, but so much has changed and evolved over the years with the knowledge base that I was concerned that I would overlook something simple.

After I got my A&P license I was told the same thing. It's a license to learn. I would same that aviation in general is a learning experience. If you don't continue to keep yourself up to date and current, It will make you pay dearly in some way or form. Sometimes with deadly results.

I am looking forward to enjoying some fun in the skies now and sharing the experience with my grandson! Who knows, maybe he will find his grandpa to be a cool guy and want to follow in my footsteps someday! If not, maybe the granddaughter will!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

Good work Adison, I'm glad for you, good luck and enjoy your adventures. Tom

Congrats! What an adventure! I just finished mine up two weeks ago too and it's a whole new world now!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

I feel like a real pilot now! I got to take my girlfriend for her first flight in a small plane today. Wind was a bit higher than I liked for a first timer but she hung in there and did real well. I was nervous before the landing but I nailed it and felt real proud afterwards. I think I'm gonna enjoy this flying thing after all.

Attachment 70419

I feel like a real pilot now! I got to take my girlfriend for her first flight in a small plane today. Wind was a bit higher than I liked for a first timer but she hung in there and did real well. I was nervous before the landing but I nailed it and felt real proud afterwards. I think I'm gonna enjoy this flying thing after all.

Attachment 70419

I can tell you that I hated flying I promised myself that I'd quit right after having earned my license. But then friends kept coming from the woodwork and I seemed to always be flying one of them somewhere. One morningat about sixty hours, I went to the airport and after the preflight I simply slipped the airplane on like an old jacket. A whole new world opened up for me that day, and I could go wherever I wanted. The airplane had no choice but to follow along. And now, about 20,000 hours later, I can say I'm ****ed glad I didn't quit early on.

Congratulations again.