Thread: Seward question?

Default Seward question?

Two parts first anyone catching anything off the docks? Second what docks are you referring to? I would love to take my 5 yo out and plug away for a bit. Just don't know where to go.

I have seen folks sitting on the fuel dock at Whittier catching small fish with pieces of bait on the bottom.
    Really can't tell you any more than that as I was busy fueling the boat.
    BK

Lol good to know. Thanks.

The lakes should be melted out in a couple of weeks, well at this rate mayber closer to a month. Lower fire lake and beach lake can be productive to fish, though I've found fishing from a canoe or other small boat is typically much more effective than from the bank. One thing I remember when fishing with my kids when they were little is I had to forget about doing any fishing myself as my time would be spent untangling their gear.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    I have seen folks sitting on the fuel dock at Whittier catching small fish with pieces of bait on the bottom.
    Really can't tell you any more than that as I was busy fueling the boat.
    BK
    My guess those would be young cod..
    kids down in Homer used to cruise the floats, catching small cod and selling them to charters to use as bait..

Soon there should be herring in Seward which is a blast for kids. Otherwise just go to the end if a pier and drop a chunk of herring or work a gulp minnow on a trout size lead head jig.

Small cod and starry flounder will likely be your main catches. Those starry flounder can get decent size and will pull fairly hard on a trout size set up.

We caught 4 or 5 fish in a half hour. This photo was in July off the boat docks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect. Thanks for the info. He wants to fish the ocean like daddy and I want to start him simple.

Not much for fishing action off the docks yet. There are some tom cod moving around as of a week ago. Very small twister tails on leadhead jig are a dirt simple set up, tip it with a bit of bait or gulp. Salmon eggs are productive for smolts and dollies at times. And unless the herring have moved through in the last week, they may be just around the corner, of course timing can be everything with them. I feel the dock fishing heats up as the summer progresses as there is more bait and viscera in the harbor. I've caught cod, and starry flounder from K dock. Herring, and cod from the "new" southeast docks, and sculpins from around D. Good luck!

Herring up date. Taking the little man down this week probably Tuesday weather dependent.

Are the herring already in Seward? Would it be possible to take a herring rig and pole to catch them off the dock this time of year?

I was told a few are in. Idk if its true or not but a day on the docks is always a good day v