Thread: Leaky Hatch window

Default Leaky Hatch window

On the bow of my seasport there is a hatch cover/window that was leaking. I pulled the frame and all out to find that this has been going on for awhile by the looks of the wood between the fiberglass. covered the hole and put an elec heater in the berthing area to dry it out. I dont think the wood is rotten just wet, any suggestions on repair. There are a few crack in the glass around the outside of the frame from people stepping close and it flexing. BREAK OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND

Seal it w/5200 is what Potbuilder would say!
    PM him, he is wise in the ways of fiberglass repairs.
    BK

You need to dig out the wet wood and see how far in it has wicked, its like a cancer and will only cause more problems in the future. Dig it out and fill with a hull/deck putty, if it were me i'd grind out the cracks and the whole area around the hatch and reglass it,fair & sand smooth, gelcote and buff and wax. Sounds like a big job but it really ain't, just takes time and a love of getting ichy and sticky(i do). Stop by or call me if you have questions. I've been messing with a cabin addition all winter and even made some fiberglass angle the other day. Ayah its a split house on the real lobstah boat.
    split house 6.jpgsplit house 1.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Digging the wet wood out and stuffing plywood back in until the fall. Then it's going to cac plastics to get done right.

Thanks for the info

I heard of a guy one time that had a leaky hatch in his crack. Had to go in for an overhaul....

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Hope you get it fixed, its time to hit the water!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Plywood is going in tomorrow with some silicone, just a temp fix till the fall. I've had the elec heaters down there for two days hopefully she dried out.

Eastah, don't use silicone. It won't stick long or work well in that environment. I'd use Sikaflex 291, it's a marine rated polyurethane. 5200 is overkill and expensive, plus it doesn't "tool" nicely if appearance counts and its exposed.
    let the 291 warm to room temp and its like butter, mask off any area you don't want it, tool with a finger or caulk finishing tool, pull tape.
    It's a fast cure product too, don't dawdle too long before pulling tape.
    I just sold my glass company in Hawaii after 23 years and have used most things out there, prep & application is everything; the wrong product won't work well and will be a mess later no matter how good it is at other applications (silicone).
    good luck!

What Big Jim said about silicone - it doesn't belong on a boat IMHO! It usually works loose and makes it really hard to clean up the spot for anything to stick to it again. And don't use 5200 on anything you plan on taking apart again - it will pull up the gel coat with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim House View Post
    Eastah, don't use silicone. It won't stick long or work well in that environment. I'd use Sikaflex 291, it's a marine rated polyurethane. 5200 is overkill and expensive, plus it doesn't "tool" nicely if appearance counts and its exposed.
    let the 291 warm to room temp and its like butter, mask off any area you don't want it, tool with a finger or caulk finishing tool, pull tape.
    It's a fast cure product too, don't dawdle too long before pulling tape.
    I just sold my glass company in Hawaii after 23 years and have used most things out there, prep & application is everything; the wrong product won't work well and will be a mess later no matter how good it is at other applications (silicone).
    good luck!
    Can you find it around here?

a little dish soap in water and you can tool/smooth out any of those goops.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by DownEastah View Post
    Can you find it around here?
    West Marine in Anchorage ought to carry it.

I believe it is actually on sale at WM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Witch View Post
    What Big Jim said about silicone - it doesn't belong on a boat IMHO! It usually works loose and makes it really hard to clean up the spot for anything to stick to it again. And don't use 5200 on anything you plan on taking apart again - it will pull up the gel coat with it.
    5200 is no longer the monster it was due to the invention on D-Bond. It will release 5200. Its an aresol can and together with a razor knife
    and some wedges you can remove anything. Used 4 cans to remove a 26 foot section of 10" wide 1.5" thick solid teak cap rail without damage.
    If we all agreed....this would be no fun