Thread: powder

Default powder

Who sells real black powder in Alaska? Is there anyone in he fairbanks area?

Great Northern Guns in Anchorage is, to my knowledge, the only store in AK that sells it.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks. .......

Here ya go. He's right near you.

Double thanks Browmbear. I had heard someone out chs road handled it a couple years ago, but never found out who. Again thanks a bunch.

Thinking of going to a muzzleloader. How much powder does on need to have on hand and does it store well?

How much to have on hand would depend on how much you shoot it, so no answer for that. They are addicting though if you get into them.
    The powder basically stores forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Istaga View Post
    Thinking of going to a muzzleloader. How much powder does on need to have on hand and does it store well?
    Lotta variables in how much powder you need, in your loads, how often you shoot and local availability. If you're shooting 70 grain or larger charges for "hunting" loads, that's 100 shots or less from a pound of powder (7,000 grains). Due to sporadic availability and high cost of real black powder (compared to substitutes), I do a lot of my practice shooting with reduced loads- 30 grains in most guns. That translates into around 230 shots per pound. If a guy shoots around 20 shots per session, we're talking 10+ sessions per pound. Real black is mandatory with flintlocks, but cappers can be made to work fine with the subs, which are easier to get. As a result I reserve my real black mostly for flinters while using substitutes most of the time in the cappers. The distinction is in restrictions on shipping and storage requirements for black versus subs in local stores. The stores can get the subs easily and have no special storage requirements like black.

I see and thank you for your time in your response. I have so much of a learning curve.

Great Northern was a bust with nothing more than excuses which prompted me to dig a little deeper and I too found Swanny at Nor West co in Fairbanks. Easy to deal with and no hoopla about if he could get powder, when he might get powder etc. He works a job with a schedule so be patient about getting hold of him. I know I'll be headed back probably sooner than later especially in light of the fact those 10 lbs I bought will only fuel Fileus for about 300 shots!

Mike

Talked to Swanny the other day, and yes he is working 2 on and 2 off. Getting some powder this week from him.
    My daughter lives in wasilla and will be coming up in a week or so, she probably wouldn't mind bringing some back if you need it.

You guys should just make your own.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    You guys should just make your own.
    Possible, but far from legal. To each his own, but I'm not going there.

Just curious, what is illegal about it. I know several that make there own, and they don't try to hide it.

Here is my source on it. Some other sources disagree. It's "gray" enough for me, I don't want to get involved.

I do not have permission to go there. lol I am not real big on signing up on forums, but that one looks interesting enough I may sign up and see.

I don't know the legalities of it, but like I said the ones I know of doesn't hide the fact, ofcourse that doesn't in itself mean anything.

I know what you mean about that. If you're really into traditional muzzleloading (their coverage stops at the civil war and they don't allow talk of inlines, sabots and such), it's a really good site for everything from history to building your own to shooting. Here's what that page has to say, though I followed the link and ATF has changed their page:

We do not discuss the making of Black Powder on the Forum. The following will explain the reasons.

(d) Except for the purposes of subsections (d), (e), (f), (g), (h), (i), and (j) of section 844 of this title, "explosives" means any chemical compound mixture, or device, the primary or common purpose of which is to function by explosion- the term includes, but is not limited to, dynamite and other high explosives, black powder, pellet powder, initiating explosives, detonators, safety fuses, squibs, detonating cord, igniter cord, and igniters.

(h) "Manufacturer" means any person engaged in the business of manufacturing explosive materials for purposes of sale of distribution or for his own use.

(n) "Distribute" means sell, issue, give, transfer, or otherwise dispose of.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/rules/gennotices.htm
    I've heard of folks making their own and even looked into it for myself. The things I learned were enough to keep my buying rather than making.

No more than I will personally use, I would rather buy it if for no other reason, it wll maybe help make it worthwhile for him to keep having it shipped up.
    I may eventually make some just to see and learn how to make a useable powder. Much of the homegrown that I have seen is not what I would call satisfactory for use in a firearm.

Under current ATF regs ("Orange Book", c. 2007) individual US citizens who aren't alcoholics, aren't convicted felons and so on are allowed to manufacture -for personal use- small amounts of black powder for sporting or cultural use, not to exceed 50 pounds total on hand at any one time.

There are regulations about how to store it that get really hairy over 50#. The regs for a BP magazine under 50# are pretty common sense.

Be advised sentate bill 792 (S. 792) is in comittee. If it passes the foregoing will change dramatically.

http://ebookbrowse.com/atf-orange-book-pdf-d162103672

Two other things. I have been dabbling in homemade black powder for a few weeks now. It is pretty simple.

Getting the mill dust dense enough to use it as "gunpowder" instead of "pyrotechnic powder" takes a press, about 3000 psi or so to run the finished density up around 1.7grams/ cubic centimeter. I can get up to 1.3g/cc with a hammer, but the velocity just isn't there yet compared to commercial BP.

The other bugaboo is consistency. Making one batch that is "faster" or "hotter" than Swiss (or Pyrodex or whatever) isn't that hard, but coming up with a consistent product batch after batch that burns the same as the other batches, major challenge.