Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spring Bear Hunt with a Bonus

Smile Spring Bear Hunt with a Bonus

Myself and two buddies were hoping to find a good bear and enjoy some spring snowmachining last weekend. The hunt surpassed all of our expectations and was one we won't soon forget!

One of my buds had never ridden a snowmachine before and had yet to harvest a grizzly. We came close to getting him a spring grizzly in the previous two years, but it wasn't to be. This was our third attempt and he was the designated shooter. Learning to ride a snowmachine while following a couple of veteran riders in Alaska's backcountry was no easy feat in itself. We logged about 270 miles in three days of hunting and it wasn't until about mile 250 that he replied "hey, this is kind of fun". His thoughts during the first 250 miles were mostly of what it would be like to attend his own funeral! He tends think I'm trying to kill him on our hunting adventures, but I just remind him that, " A mans got to know his limitations" . He did great and believe it or not the windshield on the snowmachine lives for another day.

On day one we had a great ride, but found no bears. On day two we found a fresh wolf killed caribou that half a dozen eagles had claimed. We followed the wolf tracks around the mountain. While glassing from a high spot on the back side of that mountain, we found a sow grizzly with two new born cubs in tow. They were headed over the ridge towards moose country. A little more glassing from the same location turned up a single grizzly a few miles down the valley. With a little "ribbing", I asked if I was the only one glassing for bears! The guns came out of the boots and off we went.

While looking for the grizzly I spotted a black wolf directly ahead of us. I got the wolf. While loading the wolf on the machine I heard two shots up the valley. My bud got his first grizzly! We started the skinning chores and heard a wolf howl. My other buddy got that wolf. Two wolves and a BIG grizzly down in about 5 minutes! We were in awe of what had just transpired. Day three was another great ride, but no bears or wolves this time.

Although we haven't taped the bear or measured the skull yet, it's front pad was better than 7 1/2" inches across suggesting it will square well over 8 feet and may approach 9. The bear was huge. One of it's claws was much longer than the others and I think my bud said it measured 7 inches in length - a freak claw. I think it will make the B&C book. I haven't told him yet, but the rules now change to, "he who spots it gets first crack at the critter" - ha! He couldn't be happier and we all had a great time.

Yeah o.k., the location was south of the Yukon and north of the Wrangells . Best of luck to all you spring bear hunters.
    Attached Images Attached Images

More pics of the bear.

obligatory photos.....

Wolf pics...

Yup, big bear! Nice goin, great pics! Good story too!

Last of the pics.

Wow! What a hunt! Congrats to you all. Did you happen to get any closer pics of that "freak" claw. When you said 7" I didn't initially believe you until seeing the pictures. You can see it really hanging out there but a close up of the paw would be cool. You have to have one.

Scott

you and your buddies had a great weekend! Nice bear and 2 moose eaters.....way to go and nice shooting.

That may very well be the most incredible, unbelievable hunting report I've ever read on here. Unreal! Congratulations to all of you, and if you need a 4th next year, well...

Quote Originally Posted by smarion View Post
    Wow! What a hunt! Congrats to you all. Did you happen to get any closer pics of that "freak" claw. When you said 7" I didn't initially believe you until seeing the pictures. You can see it really hanging out there but a close up of the paw would be cool. You have to have one.

Scott
    I don't have a very good pic of "the claw". My bud will have to chime in and provide a picture of it. He's thawing the hide to remove the head right now. Measurements and claw pics coming - he should be reading this....

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    That may very well be the most incredible, unbelievable hunting report I've ever read on here. Unreal! Congratulations to all of you, and if you need a 4th next year, well...
    Yes, Brian, we thought so too! My buddy summed it up as "epic", which seems pretty accurate! I'm anxiously awaiting the measurements. With the overload of skinning chores we ran out of time to skin the bear head that night.

Congratulations to all of you......nice report.

Default Crazy claw

Quote Originally Posted by smarion View Post

Scott
    I just measured it with a tape and its 6.5" to the tip.

Spring time fun for sure, a cahnce at a sunburn and frost bite to go along with yer Bear and yer Wolves
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Smile

Thanks for the claw pic. Thats quite a cocaine claw. Didn't know bears were into that.

JPOST and crew.I was about to shut down the computer for the night when I said outloud, guess I'll take a last look in case a Kodiak hunter should post a Bear kill.Much to my delight there's a great story and beautiful trophies. Great going guys. This area should continue to produce SO keep it a secret (I know now everyone will be mad at me for that advice )

What a hunt! Congrats to all. Awesome!

3 preadators down in 5 minutes. Now that's the way to do it. Awesome.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Outstanding results for sure,congrats to all.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Congrat's , Well worth the wait for your buddy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast