Thread: Trout in lakes question

Default Trout in lakes question

When fishing for cutthroat,rainbows and Dolly's. in lakes and ponds. Are there natural forage fish that they are eating? Or is it more of an insect diet. Also. Should I be fishing shallow cover like, say. Bass fishing, Or trying to find drop offs and points with a depth finder? The reason I ask about the forage is every time I search, or ask ( even fish and game). All they say that's in the ponds are the trout, Whereas let's say. Ponds by me in jersey have pike and bass but also have sunfish,crappie,bluegill......ect. From what I take it. There are none in Ak, And I am referring to the ketchikan area

Look for dropoffs, ledges, go buy what are called cowbells..(cable with flashers) Put 6-8 in line, hook amd worm...Trolling...100% catches fish.

Depth is all you need to figure out...
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Main forage fish we have are sculpins, sticklebacks, and juvenile gamefish. Some waters have freshwater eels, suckers, and whitefish, all of which are eaten by larger fish. Whitefish are a favorite of large Lake Trout. For most trout in most lakes, though, insects and freshwater shrimp, or scuds, will be the main course. Leeches and Dragonfly nymphs are very effective flies to use in any Alaskan lake. Sculpins aren't a food they get fat on, but a very special treat they love when they get a chance at one. Goby jigs are good imitations of a sculpin. Right after ice out is easiest time for fishing lakes, as trout will be congregated in shallow water preparing to spawn. Salmon eggs are nearly always effective bait. IMO fly fishing is the most effective method of trout fishing, as the flies you can use are without limit. You can tie a fly that resembles anything the fish may eat, and fish it in the manner most closely resembling the natural.
    Last edited by willphish4food; 04-30-2013 at 05:28. Reason: add more stuff

Thanks guys