Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing Rust/Aluminum stains on Rafts?

Default Removing Rust/Aluminum stains on Rafts?

I was wondering if anyone has found a great product or a method to removing the aluminum and rust stains from their Cats and Rafts? I have done some scrubbing and used simple green but it just won't touch the rust on my Cat tubes. (previous owner had a steel frame) Any suggestions? Thanks!

The advice I got from the guide I bought my cat from was to use windex or armor all, at least for aluminum.

Depends on the fabric- Hypalon wash with dawn and green dish pads or rough rag, then a bit of tolune, or acetone , if with pvc or urethane-- same dawn and a bit of MEK. should get her clean. Works for me.
    Goo

My Sotars get a bit of frame rash each trip. Still not sure why, perhaps just dirt rubbing between the frame and fabric. I just had my rafts out the other day and some elbow grease and a soapy (Dawn) rag got 80% of it off. May try the MEK to finish the job, thanks for the suggestion Goo. Being that it is an aluminum frame, I guess it is just dirt that I am getting off. Makes dark gray swirls for a lack of better terms.

-Dan

There are a couple of rust removers made for synthetics (carpet cleaning) like bridgepoint systems t-rust. Made to break down rust but not harm synthetic materials. There are a few carpet supply companies like interlink that carry those items.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Being that it is an aluminum frame, I guess it is just dirt that I am getting off. Makes dark gray swirls for a lack of better terms.
    Not dirt, its from the aluminum itself. Oxidation?

Quote Originally Posted by ChugiakTinkerer View Post
    The advice I got from the guide I bought my cat from was to use windex or armor all, at least for aluminum.
    DO NOT use Armorall on your boat tubes! It penetrates the fabric and you won't get a patch to hold.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Good advice Mike!! I totally agree, meant to say that on my post too. Dan's frame must not be anadized or powder coated. But can be cleaned with no problem. This is the only reason I have the black urethane put on the top of some of my urethane colored SOTARS, not for extra abrasion, just breaks up the colors and cleans up easy.
    Goo

for tuff stains that 409 and water won't remove, i use a little wipe with Xylol (less stringent than tolulene) and that works on urethane and hypalon fabrics. The commercial sample available is Goo Off (advertised to remove gum, glue, paint, and other stains).

larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bartlett View Post
    for tuff stains that 409 and water won't remove, i use a little wipe with Xylol (less stringent than tolulene) and that works on urethane and hypalon fabrics. The commercial sample available is Goo Off (advertised to remove gum, glue, paint, and other stains).

larry
    I think you're talking about a product called "Goof Off"? Unless there is a not-so-subliminal message there?

Hmmm...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

I'd watch out for stuff like goof off, especially if it is around seams, patches or rings.... it is made to dissolve glues..

Larry that was BRUTAL Been called "GOO" for 64 years, and have some funny comments on the name, a Louisiana thing, but never in such BOLD letters???? yes it is goo-off. You are right on the name of the product and should work on your china and feathercraft knock-off boats, as well as my SOTAR stuff, even used it to get Russian tar of my new boots last trip over There in July.

Enough is enough -- Done with it all- with you and your BULL. Over and OUT but not OFF!!! I am still around and will be selling USA equipment for a while!!!

Goo

safe boating-- GOO

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    Larry that was BRUTAL Been called "GOO" for 64 years, and have some funny comments on the name, a Louisiana thing, but never in such BOLD letters????...
    Hey that was me with the bold letters! Just seeing if everyone is still alive and kicking out there. No harm intended..

-Mike

Sorry Mike -Long winter-- Just want to make PEACE with our boating community. Seems like all this off shore stuff is killing the AMERICAN way. Larry I am sorry for being so short. I know you of all people have paid the price in your service to our country. Let us all try to work together.
    Sincerely, Goo
    My mistake on the post - Good look and have a safe season

As for the marks on the tubes, are you guys talking about "goo gone"? If so, I got some in the kitchen and will try to get the grey swirls off my blue Sotar. Being so new to this stuff, I am hesitant to put anything on the urethane.

Goo, is this safe to use on my boat or are you guys talking about another product?

-Dan

Dan - I would bet the ranch on it. Urethane is really hard to hurt and if our military stores jet fuel in 120f heat in the mid-east, cant see a problem!!
    If you like I will buy some and put it on my extra fabric tomorrow and let you know. Just to many jokes about "goo-gone" I really do want to stay!!! Although Tasmania is calling, but with the new Grand-baby I would have to leave Laura here!!!
    Talk soon-
    Goo

I will try it on my raft and see if it gets the last bit of the marks off. Thanks Goo.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    I will try it on my raft and see if it gets the last bit of the marks off. Thanks Goo.
    That stuff is pretty inert but as others have stated it is designed to break adhesion. If you have a spot on the raft that is glued on or a patch I would watch it around that. Other than that go bananas. I put that stuff on the paint on my Corvette to get tar and gum off of it. Works great.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

SOTARS Have no glue at all in them. All welded. And personally have never had to patch one after 30 years of commercial use of many. No worries Mr. Dan!!
    Goo

dang, you're a sensitive bunch of *****ly pears...yeah, i meant to type GOO GONE...had no hidden reference to the Goo Myster, nor his boats. Just a suggestion to remove aluminum oxidation from raft fabrics...knock-offs or otherwise.

lb, off

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast