Thread: trout taxidermist recommendations

Default trout taxidermist recommendations

Well, looking to get a rainbow mounted this year. I dont have any fish mounted so would like to know who everyone likes. Looking for quality of work more so than cost and amount of time for completion. Also what do costs look like per inch. Appreciate it
    NRA life Member JVJ

Reproduction just take a picture of the fish length, grith and find someone who does Fiberglass repro's. Might cost a little more, but none of the other headaches associated with real fish. Seems no matter how hard I try to keep my skin mounts in great shape they sooner or later have issues.

I like Local work however to get a good idea of what your Bow can be look at Blackwater in WA www.blackwaterfishreplicas.com

Good luck!

RMM

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

3 months ago, I got a quote for a fibergalss reproduction of a 29 inch Rainbow to the tune of $460, + shipping. As much as I wanted to get the mount done, I'll have to be content with the pictures.

Contact Brad Lance @ 376-0429.
    Excellent work and VERY reasonable.
    He's in Wasilla, works out of his house and he's an artist!
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    I like Local work however to get a good idea of what your Bow can be look at Blackwater in WA www.blackwaterfishreplicas.com
    We wanted a single fish mount in our house, my wife's dime bright 55# ocean king, and decided quality was our top concern. We looked at the work of a lot of outfits, and Blackwater came off tops by a good margin. They're not cheap by any means, but with them you get what you pay for. Scroll through their examples and you'll see what I mean.

Of course, my wife caught another topping 60# the next year! We've decided we'll mount another if she tops 70# one day, but in the meantime she can point at the 49" beauty on our wall and say "That's not my biggest."

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Contact Brad Lance @ 376-0429.
    Excellent work and VERY reasonable.
    He's in Wasilla, works out of his house and he's an artist!
    BK
    I will second that on Brad. I have seen several of his reproductions and they are very nice.

You might consider Mark Oslund with Real Life Taxidermy. Some consider him the best. He ain't cheap, but you are paying for a memory.http://www.rltaxidermy.com/taxidermist.htm
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Scott's Taxidermy 907-382-6808
    I have several fish done by Scott. Great work. I cannot remember his rates, you will have to give him a call.

Larry McMurphy with Woodland Taxidermy in Wasilla is very good. The mounts in 3 Rivers Fly and Tackle are mostly his work. He only does reproductions now. If you have to have skin, real life out of Anchorage is very good, and one of the few that even does skin mounts anymore. Reel Trout studios in Wasilla does exceptional carved replicas, but no longer does taxidermy as such. Eric is a phenomenal artist, and deserves a look. Whatever the price difference between taxidermists, just remember that you're hoping to look at the mount the rest of your life. It always sucks to be the guy who looks sadly at his fish of a lifetime, thinking "I should have spent the extra 100 bucks".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgH0HULSsNw

My vote would be with Mark Oslund as well. He does amazing work.