Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orcas....

Default Orcas....

I'd like to get a 2 person kayak for the wife and I, However she seems to think the second it hits the water we will get flipped and eaten by a whale thinking we are a big seal. Lmao, I know. But could some one shed some light on this, How the are around people/ boats. There's not to much on the Internet for ( killer whale eats kayaker). But I guess that's not enough for her

There's never been a case I've heard of where Orca's attacked kayakers.....

...But now sea lions.....

Them suckers are MEAN!
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I read a book called "Rowing to lattitudes" or something like that. The couple in that book have rowed most of the coastline of Alaska, and the coast of Norway and an island North of Norway... they almost got smashed by a jumping wale once and several times had problems with polar bears, but not Orca attacks.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Default Well......

You probably shouldn't show the wife this pic then.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Orcas have never been a problem. I sometimes wish they'd come closer. A kayak has to have a completely different acoustic signature then anything an orca wants to eat. Besides most orcas around here are the fish eating resident types from what I understand.

But yeah, those sea lions can be terrifying when they zip by you. They aren't "cute" harbor seals...especially the males.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

........yeah. Diff won't show her that. So sea lions huh, Not so friendly? Lmao. So I don't have to worry about a killer whale, But fear a seal. Lol

Just think of Sea Lions as brown bears that can out swim a salmon.... Nothing to fear.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Ill admit I'm freaked out by orcas. I have done lots of research and so far the only wild attack was in the 70's. an orca grabbed a surfer but immediately let him go. I believe unharmed if I remember right

Still.... They are predators. One day they might experiment !

I have seen a ton of videos where they do come right up to kayakers and boats.

But yeah sea lions suck. I have had them come up to me and act like they were mad.

One reason I fish so much at whiskey gulch is cause of the lack of marine mammals most of the year!

During many years of guiding kayak tours, I have seen orca at close range and I will agree with Kardinal in that humans in kayaks do not resemble anything on the menu and are more of a curiosity than anything else. I have had several tense encounters in which the bull orca will peel off from the group and bee-line straight toward my in my puny kayak only to eyeball me and return to his pod without another thought. These are extermely intelligent animals with finely tuned sonar and other sensory abilities. I think they know what they are doing and have none of the "bite it to see if its food" mentality of say of a great white shark.
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

I watched a TV show about a family in a sailboat that was sunk by Orcas, who then screwed with them for a day or so while in the life raft. I want to say it was back in the 70's that it happened. They survived in the life raft for a couple of weeks. Wish I could remember where it happened, as it was kind of a cool story.

It was the Robertson Family. I hadn't thought of that incident in a long time, thanks for jarring my memory.

Here's a link.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-s...shire-18877090
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I don't need them doing this to me while I'm in my kayak!
    http://dailypicksandflicks.com/2013/...ng-boat-video/

I dive out in PWS andI also researched this as well and could not find anything on attacks by orcas on people, that maybe a different story when it comes to kayakers from new Jersey.

I think you would be fine

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I have an interesting question. Has anyone ever heard of a seal lion attacking a dog retrieving water fowl? I worry about my lab when I know they are near by. I also know he does not like them...

Quote Originally Posted by sisusuomi View Post
    I have an interesting question. Has anyone ever heard of a seal lion attacking a dog retrieving water fowl? I worry about my lab when I know they are near by. I also know he does not like them...
    This is from another kayak forum...no wonder your dog doesn't like those sea lions.

Re: Sea Lion`s Dangerous or Not ?
    magooch
    Forum Participant

A little update about water lions; a labrador retriever was killed by a sea lion when it went after a stick that its owner had thrown in the river (Columbia). It just happens that where this occured is where I launch all the time.

"Grin and Bear It"

They just showed a clip on ktuu of some orcas hanging around a boat at deep creek. Jackie said the orcas were pushing on the boat!

Here ya go...

http://pvp.trb.com/782847669001/2013...=2372549466001

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    It was the Robertson Family. I hadn't thought of that incident in a long time, thanks for jarring my memory.

Here's a link.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-s...shire-18877090
    Glad you found it. I tried looking online but couldn't find it and was starting to wonder if it was just a movie I watched and had too many beers and thought it was real.

I've had encounters with both orcas and sea lions in Resurrection Bay. The orca encounter was completely benign, but it was the most impressive wildlife encounter of my life. We were in an 18' boat leaving Agnes Cove when two mature orcas approached. The bull's dorsal was taller than I was standing in the boat, and he came right up to us and gave us the eyeball. I could have reached out with my fishing rod and poked him in the eye if I was stupid enough to do so. He was much, much larger than the boat. Then they just swam away.

The sea lion incident was a bit more disturbing. We had a silver salmon on the line in Pony Cove when the lion gave chase. The fish was all over, still on the line, with the lion after it, and the fisherman was yelling and reeling to try to keep his fish. At the helm, I yelled to cut the line, imagining the lion jumping into the 20' boat with us after the fish. Fortunately, it took it off the end of the line.

The orca thing is remarkable. We know that they kill and eat just about anything out there, from other whales to sea lions to fish, and there has even been testimony to them killing and eating moose swimming in Orca Inlet near Cordova. Just a year or so ago an orca intentionally killed a white shark in the presence of a whale watching tour near the Farallon Islands, ate it's liver, and left the rest to the birds while all the other white sharks in the high density area disappeared like ghosts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRans3pkOxA

Why not humans in kayaks?...........

Never had a problem with Orcas but I have with sea lions... To the point I had a pistol in my hand and the kids in the cabin. That thing kept charging at the boat and then diving under at the last minute. He/she would sniff out the swim deck and would not leave. I figured as soon as it tried to come in the boat he was going to get thumped. Anyone know how effective a .40 S&W is on a sea lion? Ha Ha
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast