Thread: Bear attack

Default Bear attack

Heard that there was a bear attack near Kasilof today. Person bruised but unhurt. Troopers charged by the bear and put him down.

Sad to hear but with the time of the year approaching with warm temps bears are bound to be out. I guess I need to take up non lethal hobbies then maybe ill finally fill my **** brown tag, going on 3 years with 3 unsuccessful tags.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

That is Very VERY common behavior for how a bear acts for about 2 or 3 weeks after it is swatted & bitten to run it off so the sow can breed. The little bears will walk right up to you crying.......I think this is how most cubs get killed and eaten by boars, as the newly bannished cub will approach anything that looks like mother. Even into mid-june you can call them right up to you by making a sound like a baby crying. Too many humans with too little bear experience. The cops could have told in a second how old the bear was by checking for a "Milk Tooth". No need to guess.

Have friends who had a run in with this bear earlier yesterday and that bear was acting really wierd. It went after somebody's dog which isn't that wierd. Then it apparently "attacked" some guys truck and really went after it. Then my friends first exposure to it was seeing it running down the beach towards their 8 year old daughter. Then for whatever reason it veered off onto a sheet of ice that then broke off the shore and away he floated into the inlet and up the shore. Then its out on the ice freaking out rather that just swimming to shore like it easily could have. Then another buddy connected to the incident said that it was seen again "attacking" a light or telephone pole. He said it wasn't just kind of raking his claws or just chewing but really going after it.

Hope they do a necropsy.

Scott

I was fishing down there Friday/Saturday. Scary good thing we had plenty of guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Surfcaster Extraordinaire (Personal Records)
    Sand Shark 5'2" 68lbs
    Halibut 128lbs
    Musky 42" 18lbs

sounds vaguely like rabies...attacking inanimate objects and bizarre behavior.

A rabid brown bear....now that's a scary thought for the night.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    That is Very VERY common behavior for how a bear acts for about 2 or 3 weeks after it is swatted & bitten to run it off so the sow can breed. The little bears will walk right up to you crying.......I think this is how most cubs get killed and eaten by boars, as the newly bannished cub will approach anything that looks like mother. Even into mid-june you can call them right up to you by making a sound like a baby crying. Too many humans with too little bear experience. The cops could have told in a second how old the bear was by checking for a "Milk Tooth". No need to guess.
    I'm curious how this relates to a ten year old sow as was reported?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Dad is very smart and very brave - as is his family.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyFishboy View Post
    I was fishing down there Friday/Saturday. Scary good thing we had plenty of guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Amazes me anyone goes anywhere in this state without a gun or three, particularly since its so accepted?

Glad to hear Toby and his family are ok, good story to tell!

9 Foot Sow, closer to 20 years old rather than 10...If a guy had to pick someone to fight off a bear with a spotting scope Toby certainly fits the bill. Heck, I would pick Toby's wife to fight the bear over most guys I know. Good for them - very cool family.

Default It's all in your head

Rabies is rare in bears. They are pretty resistant to infection even when experimentally infected. Parasites can do this as well. An aberrant migration to the brain can cause all kinds of behavior issues. With the age of the sow, a brain tumor is also a significant possibility. I had a brain parasite once, about 25 years ago, drove me totally bonkers. Then I divorced him and suddenly all was well.
    Fly fishing makes me herl

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    I'm curious how this relates to a ten year old sow as was reported?
    The original story was that the bear was 2 or 3 y/o That was later changed in "UPDATED" story that I did not read, leaving me to believe that the bear was 2 or maybe 3 y/o.

(http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...-kasilof-river)

I often regret that I post on this Alaska Outdoors Forum.

Latest update is that it was a 20 year old sow, blind in one eye from an old injury, and the other clouded over with a cataract. Sounds like she went blind over the winter and was charging objects she couldn't see very well. Glad no one was hurt!

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Latest update is that it was a 20 year old sow, blind in one eye from an old injury, and the other clouded over with a cataract. Sounds like she went blind over the winter and was charging objects she couldn't see very well. Glad no one was hurt!
    Thanks for the update, I dont know why, but I feel better that it was an injured older sow than a younger confused browny.....I might be wrong but for some reason it makes me feel better, she was put down.

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    Thanks for the update, I dont know why, but I feel better that it was an injured older sow than a younger confused browny.....I might be wrong but for some reason it makes me feel better, she was put down.
    Indeed.....although I want a decrease in the amount of brownies around here, I don't hold anything against them. Regardless, it's always hard for me to see any animal suffer.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

She evidently had some sight problems that may be the cause of her bizarre behavior. http://www.adn.com/2013/05/03/288914...ve-caused.html