Thread: Discada & Gen 2 rocket stove

Default Discada & Gen 2 rocket stove

Here is an old and new project. In central america people use plow discs as cooking pots like a wok. It is called discada. All you need is a disc ( mine is 18" john deer) and a piece of metal to weld the center hole. Then you season it like cast iron. Because there are heat treated to last it gives them a good heat distribution accross the surface.

The rocket stove is second generation and a close knock off of a deadwood. This one is about 10 pounds. We cooked our fish this weekend on them. Willow twigs did the job in no time.uploadfromtaptalk1367264088647.jpg

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

I used to hunt with a guy in NM and he had a disc/wok, it worked great

Ron,

Any details you'd share on the 2nd gen rocket stove?
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

In Namibia they use a disk(+- 15 inches) with a threaded nut welded to the center and a 30 inch T-handle screwed into the nut. In addition they welded 3 legs to the bottom of the disk to hold it above the fire. It made one heck of a "camping wok".

These are great ideas gents!! I'm headed to the steel store Monday AM. Between this and the Irish tea pots there isn't much you couldn't cook.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

What would you like to know?

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Thanks for the idea Ron!

I went on the web and researched a variety of different rocket stoves and built one seems to work great. Having a problem finding dry hard wood above the snow but it is working well with scrap wood. I used 6x8" 3/16th box and I think I'm putting a door on the wood feed slot to reduce the air flow thru there and increase the air velocity on the bottom. It sounds just like a jet engine spooling up with the feed area blocked. Haven't done the wok yet but it did work just fine, albeit with a lot of wood to cook bacon and pan cakes on my cast iron griddle. It was in the mid teens when I tried it and it took awhile to get the thing hot but once it was up to temp it worked pretty well. I spaced the pan/griddle 7/8" above the top of the chimney and the heat goes straight up onto the bottom of the pan. I'm going to try some charcoal in cold temps to get it hotter and keep the heat up.

We're a Ford family so a Deere disc is out but I'll find something for a wok. I'm thinking elk stir fry for starters.

Where the disc is made is more important then the brand name. Most are made in India now. Find an older U.S. one. I cut down one to 12" for traveling. It works good on a smaller stove.

Ron

Edwin Hubble

I was kidding about the Deere disc, but you're probably right about the US made steel. 12" seems pretty small but I suppose it would be ample for most things. I'll see what I can find...thanks for the idea.

So Ron, the top of the stove under the disc goes into the open base? Then What? The disc just sits on the base or is welded on? Hard to tell from the pics

Just sits on the disc. Remember the feed tray does in about 1/3 to 1/2 into the main part of the stove. Clean out every few minutes once its hot.

Ron

Edwin Hubble

Neat idea. I use a farm disc like this as the base for my fires inside my Tipi. I res the disc on 3 rocks to get it off the ground and build small fires right on the disc itself. (you dont need a very large fire in a tipi)