Thread: Kid friendly fishing holes

Default Kid friendly fishing holes

I have some family coming up in late June (22-30) and wanted to get my nieces (8/10 yo) some fishing experiences to remember. Are there any places close to Anchorage that are fairly kid friendly without a bunch of mud? I can take my dad down to Ship Creek while everyone else is sleeping in the morning but would like to find a spot we could take the kids as well. We will also be heading down to Seward the 28-29. All ideas are welcome and appreciated.

try the local ponds in Anchorage F & G do a great job on the stocking also in the valley they stock well with some good size fish at least pan size an tast great at home with a chance of getting a larger one ever so often finger lake in the valley is great just don't go in the noon day son go real early or late it will help a lot

Head down to the Gulkana River and find Sailors Pit raft put in. Directly across the river is a killer King/Red hole that is just perfect for your kids.

Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    907-259-4290

go grab some herring and fish off the docks in Seward for cod and flounder. There is enough action there to keep them interested.

The ponds on the road to Whittier (RH side once you exit the hwy) are plumb full of rainbows.
    They are easy to catch and kid friendly.
    BK

Thank you all for the replies! I like the idea of fishing for cod off the docks in Seward as suggested by kenaibow since we will already be down there. Gulkana: I would love to take them out there and salmon is what we wanted to target, however, I think for the sake of travels with 4 kids all 10 and under we are going to try and keep it between Seward and Anchorage. My nieces would be fishing but we have 2 younger ones that would still be in tow anytime we travel out of Anchorage.