Thread: Fly line for salmon

Default Fly line for salmon

I use a 9 ft 9 wt for all except kings. I have been using floating line with weight. Some research has me wanting to try either a sinking line or sink tip line. One website recommended a multi tip fly line for versatility. I have seen sink tip sections that you can attach to floating line. I have been thinking if I can get my fly down faster, I will have more time in the strike zone. What do others use? Any comments or suggestions?

You'll first notice that both the sinking and sink tip lines (whether dedicated or multi's) cast really differently than floating lines. You'll also learn that adding on one of those sinking sections to an existing line really cobbles up your casts. I'll use sink tips if I have to, and especially in saltwater I'll use full sinkers, even if I don't like to cast them. But those add-ons? Not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by AKSweetPete View Post
    I have been using floating line with weight.
    I don't normally give away local secrets but think about the logic of that sentence?

I've never had any problem casting a multi sink tip line. That gives you the ability to match the sink rate to the current and get down to where the salmon are holding....

I always just use weight for salmon with standard line.

I do have a reel with sink tip line, but it is for trout. I don't see the point in attaching a sinking leader when another reel set up with sink tip isn't going to break your bank. The only time I break out the sink tip is when fishing for finicky bows deep with weighted flies where I don't want a weight splashing and bouncing off the bottom.

You can make any line a multi-tip line with the addition of polyleaders. A set of 10' or 14' polys in everything from hover to super x fast sink will cover your bases without having to purchase another line.

Folks that don't like the way sinktip lines cast (I hate the "hinge", too) should check out AirFlo's new StreamerMax line - there is an intermediate section joining the sinktip and the floating section, virtually eliminates the "sinktip effect" on casting. If you are going to go with a sink-tip line, this is a good one.

I personally use a floating line / weighted fly for most of my salmon fishing. For kings, I use a 2-hander and throw unweighted flies with sinktips.

Default I am with G-Smolt and Jim Teeny Systems

I rarely use Sink tips but on my Switch Rods I have started to use some of Jim's Lines and system. Started using the Orvis System loop-loop back in 88 which of course was similar to Teeny's when I was playing out at King Salmon and have been modifing and making sink lips off of WFF lines for a while. However that being said I am OLD School I guess and if at all possible if I am chasing Kings with the Long rod I try at all times to have th proper weighted fly for the areas I fish.

Look up Teeny Inc call Jim pick his brain a little might open an entire new world for you considering he is more than likely the authority on the subject and is always willing to share information when asked.

Regards

RMM

I use sink tips for all salmon fishing. It gets your fly down faster. I have yet to use sink tips for trout. Plan on trying it this spring. I have tried several different lines with adding sink tips. I have found that Rio Clouser line works for me with heavy sink tips or even split shot. I have been really impressed with Rio Clouser line with sink tips.