Thread: Eagle River hazard clearing

Default Eagle River hazard clearing

I can't recall who posted about clearing some log jams on the Eagle River, but I'm up for it.

Me too, and I can bring a chainsaw.

But, I was down along the river yesterday, and it's pretty low & slow. The water was hardly moving. Almost like a series of pools that were dammed by ice-jams at every shallow riffle. Still a lot of thick ice along the edges: some broke-off and slanting-in, some still hanging over, waiting to fall.

I don't run the Campground Rapids (yet). But, I portage along the trail from just upstream, to the Campground itself. I've always wondered why somebody doesn't go out there in the winter, when the river is really frozen, and cut some of those big trees that lay across most of the way, into smaller pieces? So that they would be carried away, when the ice thaws.

Let me know, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Will do. Need to see if SWMBO has other plans for next weekend.

Earle

Im right down the street and wouldn't mind lending a hand if Im not at work. I dont boat down there but like to get outside and work.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I just got myself a 18' cat and I plan to spend a lot of time on the Eagle River re-acquainting myself with the rhythm and feel of the water. So my main interest is from the North Fork put-in to the Loop Rd bridge. Anyone know of any jams in particular?

This winter I've hiked 2-3 miles upriver from the bridge several times. There are several large trees on the South bank maybe 1 1/2 miles up stream from the bridge that aren't sweepers yet but are leaning over pretty hard. There is also a large log pileup maybe 1 mile upstream from the bridge. I was wanting to snowmachine the river but the parks dept only opened the river for a short window and I didn't have time to make the run.

I'm sure there are some other log jams and likely some sweepers that will need attending to.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I'm not trying to be a downer here at all, but you guys may wanna check with whatever Alphabet Soup Agency that has jurisdiction over the river before you start cutting and clearing. While I doubt they're is any problem, it'd suck to find out otherwise the hard way.

Kudos for the efforts!
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    While I doubt they're is any problem, it'd suck to find out otherwise the hard way.

Kudos for the efforts!
    Are you kidding it's a hanging a fence to cut a green tree. LOL

Great ideas and stewardship fellas. One thing I would recommend is when cutting trees and clearing hazards is to not put material back into the river. If you cut a tree try and winch or come along the tree out of the river and up the bank. If you put the tree back in the river it will get jammed somewhere else downstream. I've assisted in this kind of work on Six Mile Creek and that is the way its done down there.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

If we can work it around my schedule I would be interested in help clearing... especially south fork....lots of jams up that way.

Quote Originally Posted by ChugiakTinkerer View Post
    I can't recall who posted about clearing some log jams on the Eagle River, but I'm up for it.
    Eagle River blew up last fall...sending A LOT of wood downstream. Campground rapid went from super high and fun to suicidal. The resulting log jam covering Campground right now is crazy huge...10' high in places. Although I've not floated, or looked at, Upper Eagle River in a couple years, I imagine there are some nasty log jams up there too. As mentioned in an earlier thread by Mark, watch out for wood, and be safe and ethical when attempting to clean up these beasts.

-Josh

Keep in mind that they are widening Eagle River road this year and construction crews have been working 10am-8pm mon-sat. Might make it difficult for parking/shuttling vehicles.
    I am no longer surprised at what I am no longer surprised at ---Bill Whittle