Thread: Snow levels up on the Steese?

Default Snow levels up on the Steese?

I am planing on going up in about 3 weeks to put out my bait, around the 14th of May. I was wondering if anyone has been up towards central and know what the snow levels look likes up that way? I would hate to drive all that way and not be able to go there on my atv. Anything anyone could share would help, thanks. Also, does anyone know if there is cell service in central? I dont go there and dont know.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

I went to check out Davidson ditch area then up past 12 mile this weekend and it was Deep waist deep or more in areas. Luckily it was pretty stiff from getting cold this week and I had my snowshoes. A week or 2 of 50 degrees could do alot but its not even close to that in the 10 day forecast .

Lots of snow north of town. Been skiing at Skiland (top of Cleary Summit) every weekend for weeks. This is the latest we've been open since 1992. We're usually closed by now cuz of snow melt. We are a month behind normal snow melt up there this year, we haven't lost any snow. It's still winter up there. Heck, it's still winter here in downtown Fairbanks! It's snowing as I type this. I'm wondering how I'm gonna get out baiting at this rate. Oh well, at least skiing is good in the meantime
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I spend alot of time up the Steese. In fact I was just up there last week, and past Central the week before. There is still a TON of snow out that way.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

....and a fresh 6+ inches last night
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    ....and a fresh 6+ inches last night
    yep.... Looks like by the time we can get out up here theres going to be about 2 maybe 3 weeks left in the season for baiting.

Maybe contact a couple of the trucking companies, find out who goes all the way to the Yukon, and get road reports from them. Also, there is a DOT station at the base of the mountains. You might call DOT Fairbanks to see if there is a number to call them. Not sure if there is road maintenance shop at Central near the airport. Crabs Corner might be another option for info also.
    ARR

Here's the weather station for Eagle Summit. http://raws.wrh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/rom...EAGA2&time=GMT
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

and here's the Cleary Summit webcam and weather

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/iways/roa...Id=1&siteId=29
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

While you wait, might spend some time on a snogo in areas with good glassing potential.................and look for a griz. This late spring will mean good access to griz country!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

There are no bears out yet. Spent last two weekend out looking, deep snow and windy

no cell service in Central and ditto what martentrapper said, lots of bears out that way and they eat alot of moose calves ( 47% ) so feel free to take your limit of three!!!
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

Well it might be wishful thinking, but maybe I'll be able to get it out. As long as the weather stay nice and we get what they say us expected, then it just might happen.