Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baits in.. going to give it a week or 2 before i expect solid results

Default Baits in.. going to give it a week or 2 before i expect solid results

Got a chance to get out yesterday with another forum member and got our sites all set up (relatively speaking). The area I am baiting is still a bit under snow but with warm conditions and good sun light I expect to start seeing the first visitors in a week or two. With the amount of scent I got thrown down and the location im in I am hoping to see some good results this year.

So the question is how is everyone fairing this year with snow levels and traffic.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Still 2' of snow at the site my partner and I picked out, we don't get to put out bait until May 1, I think we're going to put some out that day but I haven't seen ANY sign of bears on the peninsula yet. Have been reports of a few out and about. I'm not really sure it worth putting bait out on the first because of all the snow around but with the river closing the same day what else can I do!

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post
    Got a chance to get out yesterday with another forum member and got our sites all set up (relatively speaking). The area I am baiting is still a bit under snow but with warm conditions and good sun light I expect to start seeing the first visitors in a week or two. With the amount of scent I got thrown down and the location im in I am hoping to see some good results this year.

So the question is how is everyone fairing this year with snow levels and traffic.
    Do you wait to put out cameras.......or does the cold not effect there operating........????

just got done runnin the wheeler 5 miles out to my bait site and dropped off about 500 lbs of bait so im good to go. where im baiting i probly wont bait the actual barrel for another week or 2. based on previous years my bait hasnt got hit til towards the last week of may, but i am a long ways from the mountains. hopefully nothing messes with my bait too much, i got it all piled in my stand 15 feet off the ground. im hoping for some good action this year, good luck everybody

I haven't put my cameras in yet going to do that next weekend if all goes as planned.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

I have been thinking of asking the same question. My partner and I got out last Sunday and dropped off about 500 pounds of bait, plus beaver carcasses, some other goodies, and hung 2 stink buckets. In all the years we have baited this spot, we've made it there by snowmobile 3 times. The first we still had to hump everything in 300 yards, but the last 2 times we drove right to the site.
    Cuddyback is set up and running, and we hope to go in this Sunday and see what's happening. Primarily, we want bragging rights so in the future we can say how we made it back there in May. I'm saying we'll be hit already, he is hedging his bet. I figure no matter how much snow there is now, they have to come out sooner or later to start filling bellies, and if they come out now, we've got the only food available unless they stumble on a winter kill moose.
    ARR

what unit are you in if you don't mind me asking? I'm in 16a so I still got a few weeks to go before I will get to my site by four wheeler to set it up, especially with this cooler weather we have now.

Quote Originally Posted by blasterak View Post
    what unit are you in if you don't mind me asking? I'm in 16a so I still got a few weeks to go before I will get to my site by four wheeler to set it up, especially with this cooler weather we have now.
    I am also in a area of 16A

Me? I'm up in Unit 20. Normally we can't make it after April 15 by snowmobile, so this year in some ways is a real treat. I am not looking forward though to continued colder than seasonal temps while sitting for hours on a stand. It is always cold enough already for me.
    ARR

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Me? I'm up in Unit 20. Normally we can't make it after April 15 by snowmobile, so this year in some ways is a real treat. I am not looking forward though to continued colder than seasonal temps while sitting for hours on a stand. It is always cold enough already for me.
    ARR
    Hear Hear! I just rode snowmachine to the site today; probly the last time I get to do that. Sure beats humping all the bait 2 miles through soggy swamps! Built a skookum 6x3 platform and ladder, brought them out by sled. Building a little canopy, enclosing the sides, and will be all set for those chilly nights! Now just waiting for the snow to disappear. At least this warm weather should have the dens flooded out.

I like setting up the pop up on the platform, keeps a bunch of wind off of a guy. Then too, the Thermacell, assuming at some point a guy might need one, double assuming that it will be spring at some point, works better too. Only problem is the windows are not set up to shoot a bow out of from up high. I'm off Sunday to check out what has been happening. Likely just a long run, but you never know. ARR

Awesome, that gets me jacked up! We checked bait for the first time last night, no sign of any bears, nothing on the cameras.

Still 3 ish feet of snow in our area . By the time we have access looks like bait season will have about 3 weeks left.

I feel u im in 16A and we still have 2+ ft out there but already got hit

Baiting season should extend at least into July(heck,why not all year long same as the black bear seasons) for most game units in my opinion, by the time all the snow melts off and I start getting frequent hits on my bait it is already the first week of June. It would be interesting to run a bait site in the late summer/fall time as well, not sure how effective it would be with the berries or salmon out.

Is this the fabled 7' black bear I hear is terrorizing the RV/Camping area over by the hospital on base? haha!

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post

Ran out last weekend, saw 4 otters playing "WACKAMOLE" in the ice. That was fun watching them pop up and then disappear. Fresh snow covered up everything at the site except for the raven tracks. I could not get my camera to read the SD Card so had to bring it back. Turns out a lynx spent the better part of 4 days hanging around. that was cool. But the best part was when I left the site, running through the slough, and I saw people tracks, or so I thought, and they were a long way from anyplace. I got up on top of them, stopped, and smiled. There was a solid line of 5 plus inch tracks in my snowmobile tracks, made by a blackie, and it was headed toward home plate. He was less than a mile from the site. Whoop whoop!!! A bit later I came across more otter tracks in my snowmobile tracks, and saw a bald eagle too. It was a good day. I head back in the morning to give it one more try. I'd love to find bear tracks in the snow around the site. That'd be awesome. ARR

Well, I tried. The river was flowing, no way to cross where I needed to. I did get across, but could not bushwhack to the trail. At one point my machine was hung up on the willows, mostly NOT touching the ground. I thought I was going to have to cut my way out w/ an axe. Oh well, it was worth a chance. Plus, I got to put in one more ride, almost 40 miles, before I park the snowmobile. Now it's waiting time. I hope I can get there in 2 weeks, more likely though I won't make it until June 2 or so. ARR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast