Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using trail cams with email function?

Default Anyone using trail cams with email function?

I am looking at a few trail cams with the "text or Email" function and was wondering if any of you are running this type of cam (to check your site remotely).

Any feedback would be awesome (and help save me from driving 3 hours each way waiting on the snow levels to drop and bears to come in)

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

That REALLY sounds like the way to go.......imo
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

yah 4mer its been on my mind the past few seasons and I honestly think it will make successfully hitting the site a huge increase. Plus it will allow me to monitor the brown to black ratio and such.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Check to see if it's legal.

Also, I'm not sure How many places have cell service and are good trail cam areas

sent from my igloo

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    Check to see if it's legal.
    Good idea for sure. It could very well not be. Hard to say, because he won't actually be out in the field hunting with a form of communication.....

Current units require cell or network service; I lose that at the boat launch. I suppose you could (under very limited circumstances) use a Cantenna but your distance would be limited to 1.5 miles from the source (at best) and your connection would be poor. I can see guides using this method but they would require a satellite internet connection at their lodge and all the related equiptment. Connection by sat phone would be an option but most wouldn't be willing to go to the expense (if the technology was available).
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

the cameras I am looking at require AT&T phone service which I do have 3g service at my site. (guess im one of the lucky ones)

It is not legal! Atleast back when I asked about it here a few years ago at the most. Plus did you confirm by GPS you are 1/4 mile of the road wherever you went, by driving the road with GPS on and a go to feature activated? I have came across a lot of baits that are not legal. Word is the troopers are gonna be out this looking for that and illegal 4wheeler use. Last two seasons, I personally seen trooper traffic and have been seen, first time ever in my baiting career. So double check if you have not already. Double check the regs good before buying that type of camera too! It is in the regs somewhere.

yes I have GPS'd my location with 3 different GPS units and yes im legal.

also researched the regs quite heavily and saw nothing about the use of cameras with live feed or email abilities.

2012-2013 Bear Bait Handout
    Black Bear Baiting
    Seasons and Requirements
    July 1, 2012 - June 30, 2013
    Black bear bait stations may be established in certain areas, all bait stations must be registered at ADF&G and all persons
    who wish to register a bait site must have successfully completed an
    ADF&G-approved bear baiting clinic.
    ADF&G
    may prohibit black bear baiting in local areas.
    Bait stations may be registered 15 days prior to the start of the season. Bait may not be placed at the site until the season
    is open.
    TO BAIT BLACK BEARS YOU MUST:
    ∙ be at least 16 years old to register a bait station.
    ∙ have successfully completed an ADF&G-approved bear baiting clinic.
    ∙ register at an ADF&G office. Registration requires you to provide a physical description of the location where you will
    place bait.
    You will get a sign to post at your station. If you choose not to use this sign, you must place some other sign that clearly
    identifies the site as a “Black Bear Bait Station,” and displays the
    1) bear bait permit number assigned by ADF&G, and
    2) your hunting license number and hunting license numbers of others who hunt over that bait station.
    You
    MAY
    :
    -place bait at only two bait stations at the same time. All
    bait must be biodegradable. The parts of fish and game
    that may be legally used as bait are heads, bones, guts,
    skin or other parts of legally taken game not required to
    be salvaged (see current Alaska Hunting Regulations). In
    Units 7 and 15, fish or fish parts may not be used for bait.
    -You may also use scent lures, but only with a baiting
    permit.
    -Other hunters may use, place bait at and maintain
    your bait station with your written permission. Written
    permission must be carried with you while in the field.
    -In Units 6, 7, 9, 11-13, 14A, 14B, 15-17, 19-21, 24 and
    25, a registered guide may operate up to ten (10) bait
    stations at a time in each guide use area that they are
    registered to operate in. A guide contract is required for
    each hunter.
    -In Units 7, 9, 11-13, 14A, 14B, 15-17, 19-21, 24, 25
    and in predator control areas, black bears may be taken
    at permitted bait stations the same day you have flown
    provided you are at least 300 feet from the airplane. This
    is
    NOT
    allowed on Park Service lands.
    -In Units 12, 20C, 20E and 21D brown/grizzly bears may
    be taken at a black bear bait station subject to the same
    restrictions as black bear. Hunters who take brown bears
    over bait in these areas are required to salvage the edible
    meat in addition to the hide and skull. Hunters must
    comply with seasons, bag limits and sealing requirements
    for brown/grizzly bears.
    You
    MAY NOT
    :
    -set up a bait station within one mile of a:
    ∙house (including your own home),
    ∙school,
    ∙business,
    ∙developed recreational facility,
    ∙campground, or
    ∙permanent dwelling including seasonally-occupied cabins
    (including your own). Establishing bait stations within
    1 mile of seasonally occupied cabins is allowed in some
    areas. See page 2 for the list of places this is allowed.
    -set up a bait station within one-quarter mile of:
    ∙a publicly maintained road or trail,
    ∙the Alaska Railroad,
    ∙the Unit 14 shorelines of the Susitna River and Little
    Susitna River south of the Park Highway bridge; or
    ∙the Unit 7 or 15 shorelines of the Kenai River (including
    Kenai Lake), Kasilof River and Swanson River.
    -take money, bartered goods or services from someone who
    uses your bait station. This does not apply to a registered
    guide-outfitter, master guide-outfitter or employee of the
    contracting guide for providing big game hunting services.
    -use another’s bait station without their written permission.
    You must write your hunting license number on the permit
    at each site you intend to hunt over and carry the written
    permission with you while in the field.
    -In Units 1-5, register a bait station without first providing
    the location of the bait station in a GPS (Global Positioning
    System) format of latitude and longitude.

http://hunt.alaska.gov

revised 3/22/2013
    Bowhunters wishing to hunt black bears over bait in Units 7 and 14-16 are required to complete an IBEP
    or
    equivalent course.
    You must remove all bait, litter and equipment from the bait station site when hunting is completed. This
    includes all attractants.
    Areas Open for Bear Baiting
    Dates
    Units 1A, 1B, 1D*, 2, 3, 5, 6A, 6B, 6C
    April 15 - June 15
    Unit 6D*
    April 15 - June 10
    Units 7*, 11, 12, 13*, 14A*, 14B*, 15*, 16A*
    18, 19, 20
    21A, 21B, 21C, 24
    and
    25A, 25B, 25C
    April 15 - June 30
    Unit 16 predator control area
    July 1 - October 15
    April 15 - June 30
    Unit 17
    April 15 - May 31
    Unit 19D predator control area
    Units 21D and 24 within the Koyukuk Controlled Use Area
    Unit 25D
    August 1 - September 30
    April 15 - June 30
    *Bait may not be used and bait stations may not be registered in the following areas:
    • 1D, that portion of the Chilkat Peninsula south of the Haines Hwy and within 1 mile of the Haines
    Hwy, Lutak Road, the Porcupine Mine road to the confluence of the Porcupine and Klehini rivers,
    and the Chilkat Lake road from the Porcupine Bridge to Chilkat Landing on the
    Tsirku River.
    • 6D, Blackstone Bay and Harriman Fiord
    • 7, Resurrection Creek and tributaries and within one-quarter mile of the shoreline of the Kenai
    River.
    • 13, within one-quarter mile of the Alyeska pipeline and pipeline access road from mile 75 of the
    Richardson Hwy (where the pipeline crosses the Tonsina River) north to the unit boundary at mile
    227 of the Richardson Hwy (Black Rapids).
    • 14A, 14B within one-quarter mile of the shoreline of the Susitna River and Little Susitna River
    south of the Parks Hwy bridge.
    • 15, within one-quarter mile of the shoreline of the Kenai River (including Kenai Lake), Kasilof
    River and Swanson River.
    • 13E and 16A, Denali State Park
    Bait may be used within 1 mile of seasonally occupied cabins, pr
    ovided that the cabin is
    on the opposite side of the river from the bait site in the following areas:
    • 11 and 13, the Copper River north of Miles Lake.
    • 16, the Beluga, Susitna, and McArthur rivers, the Deshka River (Kroto Creek) below its
    confluence with Trapper Creek, the Yentna River below its confluence with the Skwentna
    River, and Alexander Creek.
    Chena State Recreation Area, additional hunting, shooting and off-road vehicle use restrictions apply. Call DNR at (907) 451-2705 for
    specific information.

I'd think it'd fall under the part that says...

"Communication equipment may not be used in the taking of game, or to aid in the taking of game, except for ground-to-ground communication for locating bison in Unit 20D."

eh you may be right on that part but in that case you would think all trail cams would be "in the grey area" on that one.

Yup, page 18! Call and ask, but I can tell you, it's not gonna be legal! They will say it is under the communications equipment! It's in writing. Other areas of the regs apply, just not "baiting rules". Game cameras are used for all types of game, not just spring bear. Atleast you're asking before just doing.

Currently, for most big game, in most GMU, it is illegal to fly and hunt the same day. It is not illegal to spot one day, and hunt the next day (after 3am?) Therefore, the use of aircraft is not illegal. If you call your partner today, after flying, and head out tomorrow, to bag that animal, are you trying to tell me you just broke the law? You and your partner are both flying separate aircraft, you spot an animal, tell him over the radio, and you both land. You hunt the next day, did you break the law? If you got info from a trail cam today, but hunted tomorrow, or later, do you really think the State would have a case against you? I could go on about possible "next day" scenarios, none of which seem to meet the litmus test that the regulations are written to. I'm not sure even same day from a trail cam meets that criteria.
    I don't think the Trooper is the guy to ask, w/ all due respect. I think this one may be for the District Attorney. There is a lot of gray written into regulations so I'd try to get a specific ruling. It's obvious that somebody needs to present this concept to their Advisory Council next season to get it put into the regs as being ok to do before the State or somebody else tries to ban it by name or specific application.
    ARR

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Currently, for most big game, in most GMU, it is illegal to fly and hunt the same day. It is not illegal to spot one day, and hunt the next day (after 3am?) Therefore, the use of aircraft is not illegal. If you call your partner today, after flying, and head out tomorrow, to bag that animal, are you trying to tell me you just broke the law? You and your partner are both flying separate aircraft, you spot an animal, tell him over the radio, and you both land. You hunt the next day, did you break the law? If you got info from a trail cam today, but hunted tomorrow, or later, do you really think the State would have a case against you? I could go on about possible "next day" scenarios, none of which seem to meet the litmus test that the regulations are written to. I'm not sure even same day from a trail cam meets that criteria.
    I don't think the Trooper is the guy to ask, w/ all due respect. I think this one may be for the District Attorney. There is a lot of gray written into regulations so I'd try to get a specific ruling. It's obvious that somebody needs to present this concept to their Advisory Council next season to get it put into the regs as being ok to do before the State or somebody else tries to ban it by name or specific application.
    ARR
    I agree 110% on this. there are a lot of gray areas on this one.

To me.......communication to "aid" in hunting means while actually in the field hunting......and he won't be. All he'll be doing is looking at a monitor miles and miles away. But I realize I could be wrong of course...

the powers that be need to step up thier game and spell out what is what to keep honest law biding folks from getting themselves in a jam... This is the same discussion thats floated around here but with a different piece of eletronic.. Why they cant just put it in print is rediculous at best.. To be devils advocate here I can see how this could be seen as an aid... get and email pic in the morning that your baits got a bear on it and head on down the road( but of course the same could be said about other things too)... or just set up a couple baits and simply just wait for pics...but that kind of takes the fun out of checking the bait.... I think they are a fine tool but I wouldnt use one just cause the risks are too high for me...

To continue the "devil's advocate" idea:
    How would a trooper determine that you had used the email function of a trail cam to receive pics of game at the bait site?
    I know that cell phone messages can be eavesdropped on, but it seems to me that the possibility of a trooper interscepting an email is kind of remote.
    If the current law is unenforcable, it sort of puts into the grayest of areas.

Spoke to the troopers in juneau and am waiting on a call back he is looking up the exact legalities of this type of trail camera i will let everyone know what he says as it should be interesting none the less

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast