Thread: vinegar?

Default vinegar?

Anybody have any experience making their own vinegar? I've been thinking about it for some time now, but never known anybody that did it. Is it worthwhile? Better than what you get in the store? Any tips?
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

I started making vinegar this spring. Bought a red wine mother of vinegar starter from Lehner's, put it in a 2 gallon jug with a spigot on the bottom. Added a couple of bottles of red wine and some water per the directions, covered the jug with cheesecloth. Put it in a warm place, and in a couple of months, I had some very good tasting vinegar. Evaporation was greater than I had thought it would be, so I had to add more wine and water occasionally to keep the level up. A good raft of mother floats on the top, and I use a turkey baster to add more wine/water so as not to disrupt the raft. I think it's worth doing.

As if I don't have enough winter projects....I may have to give it a try.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by FlyTaiya View Post
    I started making vinegar this spring. Bought a red wine mother of vinegar starter from Lehner's, put it in a 2 gallon jug with a spigot on the bottom. Added a couple of bottles of red wine and some water per the directions, covered the jug with cheesecloth. Put it in a warm place, and in a couple of months, I had some very good tasting vinegar. Evaporation was greater than I had thought it would be, so I had to add more wine and water occasionally to keep the level up. A good raft of mother floats on the top, and I use a turkey baster to add more wine/water so as not to disrupt the raft. I think it's worth doing.
    Who/what is Lehners? I want to make some vinegar!