Thread: Upper Nenana River

Default Upper Nenana River

Hola! I'm looking for recent info on the upper Nenana River, north of Monahan Flat. Has anyone put in up there? Am considering a fly-in float-out and wonder if 2000' is a big enough lake for a float plane (about 2800 MSL).

While you certainly could do this if you are looking to do it for hunting you'll be dealing with a LOT of ATVs out there. Walked most of the river up to the glacier in there...some Class II+ is the worst it gets in there...nothing too crazy but if the flows are low the braids up by the lake you are looking at could be a bit of a pain.

Yeah, looking to hunt. Was hoping that the north side of the river would be ATV free. Or at least not so heavily trafficked.

Looking at a 18' cat, probably a Cougar. Sounds like what I'm looking for in a boat. Should handle shallow water, dunno about braid width though.

Quote Originally Posted by ChugiakTinkerer View Post
    Yeah, looking to hunt. Was hoping that the north side of the river would be ATV free. Or at least not so heavily trafficked.

Looking at a 18' cat, probably a Cougar. Sounds like what I'm looking for in a boat. Should handle shallow water, dunno about braid width though.
    There are plenty of folks that hunt that area of Monahan all the way over to the river up to the glacier and crossing the river up in the braids on ATV is a non event most the time (except for last Sept ) If paying for a fly out I'd certainly put my $$$ elsewhere to get away from ATVs but that is just me. Beautiful area for sure, just like to get away from the people on ATVs if I'm restricted to foot access only from a raft. But you'd probably have a ball regardless.

Sorry I'm late getting back to you. Was busy buying this...

A guy who guides out of Dillingham was downsizing his fleet. He suggested looking at the Fortymile. More research...!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    There are plenty of folks that hunt that area of Monahan all the way over to the river up to the glacier and crossing the river up in the braids on ATV is a non event most the time (except for last Sept ) If paying for a fly out I'd certainly put my $$$ elsewhere to get away from ATVs but that is just me. Beautiful area for sure, just like to get away from the people on ATVs if I'm restricted to foot access only from a raft. But you'd probably have a ball regardless.

Hey there A_L; As per your post above, where do most of the guy's put-in to access this area with an ATV-? Would it be east of Brushkana Camp ground, I've been up and down Canyon creek a bit,,,, ???
    Thanks in-advance, for any info:
    [ Retired and Living the "Dream" in Alaska, Semper-Fi ]

Looking at the 1:63,360 topo sheet, if you continue on the Denali Hwy past Monihan Creek then you can cut north and approach the glacier without having to ford any streams.

Quote Originally Posted by ChugiakTinkerer View Post
    Looking at the 1:63,360 topo sheet, if you continue on the Denali Hwy past Monihan Creek then you can cut north and approach the glacier without having to ford any streams.

Hey there CT;, thanks for the reply, yea, I was looking at that area as well, I know some guy's go down the trail at the Brushkana CG, but then there are multiple crossings that have to be done, to get out on the flats, so to speak, I'm looking at getting out to that upper-area between the Nenana and the West Fork Glacier, back up against the Alaska Range foot hills, where the elevation starts to increase.
    You Take Care and "Keep your Nose in the Wind"
    [ Retired and Living the "Dream" in Alaska, Semper-Fi ]