Thread: Willow area trails

Default Willow area trails

I have a cabin on mile 80 of the Glenn just past willow. I was wondering what trails were within a short ride from there. I heard there was access past Susitna landing on the right side that leads into the talkeetna mail trail and crosses the kashwitna.

Thanks

Not much atv suitable trail on the east side of the highway at mile 80. Allotta big marsh....but you can get the the "mail" trail from there easily in winter. Prts of the mail trail are atv-able, but also alot of near impassible parts of it as well. Some of it in the middle north of little willow can be tough to even find in the non winter months. Although I heard some trail folks had done some work to open it up. I know I have run into dead ends up there with dog teams in early winter before the trail was punched thru by folks who knew its location well..Also some trail up off of montana creek road...

I think the trail crosses some private land around where it goes across the Kash, so thats another thing to keep in mind.

BTW, I think you meant Parks Highway...

I sure did mean the parks. Thanks.

Thank I appreciate it. I was gonna try and ride the mail trail this summer and ill post on how it is.

That being said can anyone recommend a good day ride near anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by secfogecko View Post
    That being said can anyone recommend a good day ride near anchorage.

Jim's creek area out in the Butte...Just stay off the ice. A few machines went thru the ice this past weekend. No injuries other then pride.

Go down the highway to approx. Mile 83 and turn up the Talachalitna Road. Go all the way down, hang a right and continue on. You will come to a trail that takes you across the railroad tracks from there there are several different options.

Quote Originally Posted by secfogecko View Post
    I have a cabin on mile 80 of the Glenn just past willow. I was wondering what trails were within a short ride from there. I heard there was access past Susitna landing on the right side that leads into the talkeetna mail trail and crosses the kashwitna.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AK6Pack View Post
    Go down the highway to approx. Mile 83 and turn up the Talachalitna Road. Go all the way down, hang a right and continue on. You will come to a trail that takes you across the railroad tracks from there there are several different options.
    Sweet. I'll check it out

The private land i think you are referring to is either Eagle Ridge or Eagle Nest it is something like that i believe. I do my trapping in the winter time around that exact area you are talking about. Some of the area i think will be really tough to pass through in the summer months with an ATV. I was going to try to get back onto the mail trail this summer as well but i dont think i will be able to make it past some of the big marsh.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfever1 View Post
    I do my trapping in the winter time around that exact area you are talking about.
    You and quite a few locals, lol. Some of whom may or may not have been out there this winter...

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

Something to think about. Most of the trails in the Willow area are winter only trails and atv's are not allowed. Trying to use these trails in the summer doesn't really get you anywhere because of all the swamps and really upsets the local land owners making it harder to keep access open in the winter.

Yeah i ran into one other guy who was out trapping near me. I do know there are a few others out there as well. The trails as stated before out there i can see how they are not summer trails. I can also see how in alot of areas you would indeed cause alot of damage to the habitat riding ATV's.