Thread: any PWS bears out yet???

Default any PWS bears out yet???

Just wondering if anyone has seen any bears out yet in the PWS area. I was out last weekend and spotted a den with tracks but no bear. Im heading back out this next weekend to look for bears. Good luck everyone.

I hope not, I don't get back in town to give it a shot until May 15th and even then I have one weekend to do it...
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Flew over, still a bit of snow out there...

The snow don't matter, last year was even worse of a snow year and spotted bears in areas that had 6'+ on the beach, but was skunk cabage growing under the spruce trees on the steep slopes just off the beach 20' up and on. No need to hike for them, unless you're just dying to try to get up to them. Let them come down, not all bears will come down either, some pop their dens and head on over the ridge into the next bay sometimes, witnessed that personally. Best thing is look for tracks or dens still. The tracks will eventually start to zig zag down from tree to tree or rock outcropping to the next. No harm to walk around in the trees a bit, one year there was tons of tracks in the trees, but not much out in the open like usual.

Was out last weekend as well, spotted bear tracks in a bay that has southern exposure, but with glaciers near, was surprised. Zig zagged, but was hard to catch them again after the second patch of trees. Way steep up above the goat!

Spent the past two Saturdays glassing and hiking around between Portage and Hope. No sign of bears, saw plenty of moose.