Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It IS A Desease - Continual Upgrade XL7

Default It IS A Desease - Continual Upgrade XL7

Well, I do love how my 06 (Marlin XL7) has finally come in to its own with my load work. Had one real awesome group, you know, that group every now and then that you never duplicate again, but it is a for sure "WOW!" group, but you keep getting close to it because of the good load you found that the rifle likes. Yet, it is not enough! Got to do more! Time to tinker again! UPGRADE TIME!

I will be putting a new scope FX II 36mm LR Duplex on it and changing to DNZ Game Reaper Pro one piece mount and rings to provide more rigidity of the receiver to control flexing and it is 1/3 the weight of steel and since my stock will weigh more than the factory plastic stock I want to hold weight down some. They are constructed out of Tempered Billet Aluminum and using 5/8 screws from grade 8 steel, that have 4 times more screw length and they do not need lapping.

Also, after knowing of a person who reduced his average group size with his different loads with his Marlin XL7 by putting a new laminated wood stock on his Marlin XL7, I will do the same. So, this coming week I have a new wood (laminated) stock Prairie Hunter coming from Boyd's (finished - drop in) like my acquaintance did with his 30-06 XL7 and it fit perfect and it allows the barrel to free float.

Leupold FX II 6x36mm LR Duplex

DNZ Game Reaper Pro

Boyd's Prairie Hunter (finished drop in - color Nutmeg)
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I will be changing to Warne rings the DNZ are just to ugly, I can't do it.

Warne Rings
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

The Warne rings and bases are excellent, but man are those rings heavy. Solid chunks of steel.

I have already given some thought to the 1/2 pound weight of the Warne bases and mounts and decide to go with these weavers for low mounting and light weight and put the Leupold on. These are the same kind of mounts and rings I had on this rifle with the Redfield and had no problems with recoil or movement of the scope so I will go with them. Only thing left is to wait for the stock to come in.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I bought the XL7 in '06 for my son last week. It seems to be a real nice rifle, and even if he is 12, he has no issues with recoil. My only issue with it is the blind magazine; I must admit, I do not like the way this rifle loads. Other than that the rifle seems to be a dandy. He is already talking wooden stock for it next year.

Smart kid if he is already thinking would stock. I have blind mags on a few customs and I guess I am use to them. The safety on the XL7 allows for one to empty the mag safely. They did that to give strength to a plastic stock which with the pillar bedding and fore end pressure works fairly well.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Had you painted your plastic stock OD?

Yes, I could not stand that drab plastic look, plus I wanted it to blend in with the green in my area and junipers in Arizona.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I am a fan of the Boyd's stocks, I used one in my last custom. But they come with WAY too much wood on them for my taste, especially in the wrist and forend. I bought the unfinished Virtual Inlet model and commenced to shaping it to my taste. I was able to shave 8-10 oz. off of it and slimmed it down considerably in both the previously mentioned areas. I also hollowed out the butt and filled it with foam. After I pillar bedded it and put the finish on, I couldn't be happier with it now.

As stated in my article when doing a comparison with entry level rifles, I indicated that you do not need to customize the rifle because it is cheaper in most cases to just go purchase another one. Well, I got bored and since I am in between some projects, I decided to mess around with this Marlin. Of course this Marlin XL7 really shoots good and this messing around might cause it to shoot worse and if it does I can return it to its original state since I am not adding anything that is permanent. Just having some fun playing.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

You have to admit the DNZ rings/base look like you could drive over it with a truck, and change the tire, and still hold zero.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    You have to admit the DNZ rings/base look like you could drive over it with a truck, and change the tire, and still hold zero.
    Well put, but I just can't put those modern looking things on a rifle with a wood stock, that is just my preference and I am not going to drive a truck over it so more than likely won't put them on. Although Nitroman, you have temped me with your comment and I want to thank you for putting it back on my mind (facetious)
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I recently got a XL7 in .270 Win from a forum member here to give to my son. I did put the DNZ scope mount on it, I love the one I have on my rifle. I haven't mounted a scope yet, anyone have troubles with the bolt handle hitting the scope? I read online that it may be a problem, but since I haven't mounted a scope yet I don't know? I did go with medium rings just in case.
    I'm thinking of having Alaska Hydrographics hook it up before I present it to him in June.

What did you paint it with? How did you prep the plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    What did you paint it with? How did you prep the plastic?

Aluma-Hyde II from Brownells just follow the instructions.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I've got a Boyd's laminate stock on my .35 Whelen and I love it. (It's a custom based on an XL7)

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Well, I do love how my 06 (Marlin XL7) has finally come in to its own with my load work.
    Gotta love it when a "cheap" gun shines. That has to encourage anyone on a limited budget. You continued "tuning" is something the same guy could take on over the course of a few years to help absorb the cost, so more encouragement that a guy doesn't have to drop a month or two's wages to have a gun that works well and brings pride.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Gotta love it when a "cheap" gun shines. That has to encourage anyone on a limited budget. You continued "tuning" is something the same guy could take on over the course of a few years to help absorb the cost, so more encouragement that a guy doesn't have to drop a month or two's wages to have a gun that works well and brings pride.

AMEN! Well said and thank you.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

You're more than welcome. You deserve high praise for breaking the trend of writers pimping high dollar gear most guys can't afford.

I suspect I'm not alone in wishing there was a writer that concentrated on the more reasonably priced gear and what can be done with a little tinkering. Not a lot of guys can afford the big buxx, but would find encouragement and invaluable info from such writing as you've done here.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    You're more than welcome. You deserve high praise for breaking the trend of writers pimping high dollar gear most guys can't afford.

I suspect I'm not alone in wishing there was a writer that concentrated on the more reasonably priced gear and what can be done with a little tinkering. Not a lot of guys can afford the big buxx, but would find encouragement and invaluable info from such writing as you've done here.
    Yes, yes, yes, and absolutely. Anything that helps the average guy get out and do hunting, fishing, shooting, etc. without breaking the bank is commendable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast