Thread: Versatile dog training advice

Default Versatile dog training advice

I may be getting a Llewellin setter pup this summer. I currently have a 5 yr old lab, and I have a few questions about training the pup.

How many people work retrievers and pointing dogs together? Are there any good books, DVDs, or training programs describing how to train for this? Since I currently have a lab who hunts waterfowl and upland birds effectively, I would like to train towards a versatile approach so my setter would be able to hunt both.

Check out the Greatland NAVHDA club. Good people there and many could help you out.

We do training every week and have all last winter. Now that the snow is leaving training can get serious. Had 5 dogs out yesterday. 2 labs and 2 Drahthaars and a Labradoodle. Did some distance marking with the big dogs and ran the puppies on marks and field search locating birds.

Personally, I am now running a lab and a Drahthaar. I have just added a new DD pup to make it 3. I am in Chugiak so call me if you want to talk or come out and join us for a run. Don 907-227-4261
    Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
    Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel. Training Versatile Dogs because we hunt it all.
    Memeber of the Alaska Warterfowl Association.

Happy to see this post, I signed up with the VDD-GNA and have been touching base with breeders. information was scarce on Versatile hunting breeds up here. Kida wanted to wait till I got closer to retirement (970 days 36 hour)s so I could put more time into the pup that the breed deserves. Live in Eagle River so glad to read there are Others near.

Jeff, if your interested in getting involved feel free to come out and train with us sometime. We are always looking for extra hands. Give you an oppertunity to see some of the dogs and talk with owners.
    Don
    Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
    Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel. Training Versatile Dogs because we hunt it all.
    Memeber of the Alaska Warterfowl Association.

Thanks I will do just that. I work a week on week off so will take you up on this offer. Thanks Jeff