Thread: berger bullets

Default berger bullets

Seems that I keep hearing a lot of buzz on Berger bullets and have even seen some for hunting.. Curious if anyone has used them for hunting and how they preformed.. Thinking about trying some of the out of my 300 weatherby...

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Seems that I keep hearing a lot of buzz on Berger bullets and have even seen some for hunting.. Curious if anyone has used them for hunting and how they preformed.. Thinking about trying some of the out of my 300 weatherby...
    They kill effectively but don't expect exits unless you are really heavy for caliber and that still depends on the game being taken. They penetrate about 3" and come apart sending little fragments in all directions devastating soft tissue. I have tried them and on deer size game they are good killers but shoulder bone is the fly in the ointment in some cases. They have great BC but unless it is the Hybrid they can be hard to find a good load for depending on fire arm used. All in all I don't use them much at all when hunting and in fact have stopped using them, but this is my preference.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

A visiting friend brought his long range rigged 7 mm RM with Berger hunting bullets on a moose hunt last year. He got a downhill 100 yard shot at a big bull. The wounded bull stayed on his feet and ran downhill a ways before killed by a different rifle.

Upon butchering, we found the Berger against the spine in the hump. The bullet had split lengthwise on a rifling groove. The lead was flattened out to 1.25 inches by .125 thick.....looked like soldering splatter. The copper jacket was laid out flat. Any reasonable bullet should have dropped that bull.

This bullet may hold together better at longer ranges as designed but it certainly is not my bullet of choice for Alaskan big game.

thanks guy thats the info I was lookin for I'll stick with what works..

Been using them for quite a while now in a couple of calibers. I have killed countless animals with them. They work as advertised. Deadly accurate and turn the vitals into soup.

Premium Member

Well, for what it's worth, I have used Berger bullets quite effectively on deer, elk, antelope, pig and bear in the lower 48. They are accurate, and devastatingly lethal, in my experience. They seem to penetrate bone or flesh and explode in the vitals.

I use them in .300 WinMag, 7 RSAUM, .308, and .243.

Quote Originally Posted by guns_and_labs View Post
    Well, for what it's worth,.
    Your opinion as well as everone elses posting here is more important then anything because it is personal experience and for me that counts for more words written on a tech sheet...

I had a thread back in Jan from a bou hunt up here. I shot a bou with a 6,8spc using 140 berger VLDs. Got the bou, but only recovered one oddly shaped bullet.
    The 140 VLD holds velocity quite well and is useful in the 6.8. SSA makes a factory round that has a high muzzle velocity. If they were easier to get up here I would use them more. They say the bullet doesn't stabilize as quickly as most and actually gives better groups at distance.
    I would consider it if I was using it for something like a sheep or pronghorn hunt.
    Would stick with what works otherwise.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I have used them for the past 3 years. Most of my rifles won't stabilize them so I only shoot them out of a select few rifles. You really have to take to heart their minimum twist ratio. Once you find a gun that will stabilize them, it's hard to find a more accurate bullet. Before I get to game performance I would like to mention that they are very long bullets. In two of my rifles they shoot beautifully but they will not fit in the mag well. If I load them for accuracy I am loading them just a few thousandths off of the lands. Just make sure they fit in your mag well. I have mentioned it before on this site that on my Kimber Montana .280 AI they will fit in the mag well but once I chamber a round and then try to eject the unfired cartridge it is so long it will get wedged against the front of the action. I am attaching a photos of this.

Okay, so now for my personal experience with it's performance on game. This past fall my brother asked me to take him sheep hunting to my secret spot so we strapped on the boots and took a drive into Denali park and started hiking Mt. Mckinley . The morning we left he tells me that his 7mm mag is having scope issues so I loaned him my .280 with the bergers. I hand loaded them with the Berger VLD 168 gr bullet and I propelled it with 52gr of Varget. Total COAL of 3.33"

So we get up the mountain and we see some rams trying to make an escape. We were lucky enough to head them off and my brother took a beautiful double broomer at 147 yards. The ram was quartering to us so the bullet ripped through the front shoulder and through the boiler room. I was amazed at the damage it had done. I know that a sheep is not that large but it devastated the entire front part of that sheep. About 2 second after the shot, the sheep was tumbling down the mountain. When we butchered the sheep we tried as hard as we could to salvage meat front the front of the sheep but to be honest we probably only got about 15 to 20 pounds from both front shoulders and ribs. There was a very small exit wound but we found that most of the bullet had fragmented inside of the sheep and went in all directions. I thought that it was weird that it did not mushroom like other bullets but I was very impressed with the results. I actually have some video and photos from when we were butchering it just because I was so impressed with the damage. Let me know if you want to see the video and I'll send it to you.

I have seen that a few people have complained in their reviews of Bergers because they do not mushroom but I was online a few weeks ago and saw that they don't advertise them as a mushrooming bullet. In fact they advertise them as a fragmenting bullet and thats exactly what I saw. So I say good for them. Here is the exact text from their advertisement-
    "The VLD design incorporates a sharp nose that allows the bullet to penetrate 2" to 3" before it starts to expand. After the initial expansion, the bullet will shed between 40% and 85% of its weight as shrapnel into the surrounding tissue (internal organs). The combination between the shrapnel and the hydrostatic shock produces a massive wound cavity within the vital area that will be 13" - 15" long."

In closing I would like to say that this was the best bullet of the past hunting season. I shot bears, caribou and my sheep with the Barnes TTSX bullets and none of them went down on the first shot. All required follow ups. My brothers sheep that was shot with my Berger hand loads was dead before my brother could even regain his site picture in the scope.

I know I was long winded, but I hope this helps.
    IMG_2696.jpgP8310077.jpg

Here are some more "results" photos. In my limited experience this is probably the most blood shot meat out of any one shot kill that I've ever seen.
    100_0271.jpg100_0273.jpg

I love the accuracy of the Berger VLD's in my .308, my daughters .243 and Hybrids in my 338LM. These bullets are extremely accurate when tuned to the application.

However, on a West Texas Whitetail deer hunt a couple years ago the 175gr VLD .308Win load blew a huge hole in a deer. Shot placement must be good in order to conserve salvageable meat from your game, avoid shoulders if you want the meat. I doubt I will use this bullet on hunts in the future.

The picture below is the exit wound. It appears to have two exits from one shot.

175gr Berger blow out.jpg

I seen how they perform on a moose and you can keep them! Buy either the tsx or accubond or shoot the tried and true partition... Screw the Berger bullets

I have been shooting Berger bullets for nearly 3 years now but I have not killed anything with one yet - They are addictingly accurate which makes it tempting but I'm limiting my use due to the damage factor - If you watch "best of the west" or "long range pursuits" and I think there are one or two other shows in the outdoor channels that feature those heavy barrelled (and expensive) rifles and Huskamaw scopes these dopes are tipping over trophy deer and elk at 700, 850, even 1000+ yards then they pat each other on the back and "plan" their hike over to the downed quarry - THAT is where the Bergers come into play best I suspect, a long long looong ways out there but to my way of thinking that is "shooting" and I can do that on prairie dog or rockchuck shoots day after day and have more fun - I am cautiously optimistic that Nosler's new long range Accubond will satisfy BOTH worlds enough to make all of us "sports" happy ! An Accubond producing a 1" group at 100 yds "should" be an easy kill shot at 500 yds on an elk or even a deer BUT the shooter had better be prepared to fulfill HIS side of that equation - I personally don't want to hunt with a rifle I need a sherpa or a wheel on barrel's end to pack into the field - about 8 lb hunt ready is my threshold .....

The VLDs are long range bullets where they will dump a lot of speed getting there. It doesn’t surprise me they would do a lot of damage at 100 yards, they just are not intended for hunting at 30-30 range.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have had mixed results with berger VLD hunting bullet. 140gr shooting out of a 7mm-08
    1) killed a giant bull elk at 210 yards. The bullet went through the front shoulder, lungs, and exited . The bull reacted like something was bothering him but ran 250 yards before pilling up. massive blood trail. His lungs were jello, & the top of his heart was gone. It made a pencil hole through the front shoulder but exploded inside . I gather that the lead core must of exited.
    2) killed a 6 point bull at 389 yards. The bullet hit a rib bone going in & exploded in the lungs. The bull reared up & then stood there. I shot a second time hitting him directly on the point of the front shoulder. & the 3rd shot slipped in at a quatering away destorying the liver & the rear paet of the lungs. None of the bullets exited & i found the one that hit the point of the shoulder at the shoulder. It explode on impact and fragmented . It created a hydrolic shock that bruised all the way up to his ears. I found a jacket in the lung goo . I don't know if it was the first or 3rd shot.
    3) killed a coyote at 503 yards head on. It went the hole length of his body & exited. I thought the coyote had mange but looking closely it was the shot that blew the hair off of him. Never seen anything like it. I wish I had photos of the yote.

i am working on a 338 rum load but the COAL is too long to fit in the mag well. I'm going to have a wyatt's box install and milled to fit the longer bullet. I'm excited to try them on moose griz etc and some long range wapiti.

Here's a thread in which the OP reports on 19 kills this past season with 215 Berger hybrids from a 300 WM. Most are long range kills on antelope, deer and elk. Closer range shots do not produce exits. It seems the Bergers are very effective killers but do have limitations that have already been mentioned. At close range they are highly frangible very destructive. I would limit my shots to the lung area and would not use these for large bears.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

I will be developing a load for the 230 Hybrid in my 300 RUM this spring/summer.

If i were going to use bergers as hunting bullets, which I might, I would use the heaviest for caliber, i.e., 140 in 6.5, 180 in .284, 230 in .308, etc.
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Here's a thread in which the OP reports on 19 kills this past season with 215 Berger hybrids from a 300 WM. Most are long range kills on antelope, deer and elk. Closer range shots do not produce exits. It seems the Bergers are very effective killers but do have limitations that have already been mentioned. At close range they are highly frangible very destructive. I would limit my shots to the lung area and would not use these for large bears.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

I will be developing a load for the 230 Hybrid in my 300 RUM this spring/summer.

If i were going to use bergers as hunting bullets, which I might, I would use the heaviest for caliber, i.e., 140 in 6.5, 180 in .284, 230 in .308, etc.
    Good information MR and others...thanks for your thoughts and the link.

I'm pretty partial to the TSX's for the hunting applications that I utilize. However, I have wondered about the Berger's when watching that long-range hunting show that seems to endorse them with drop-dead results (Hunting the West ??). Sounds like the Berger's are not the choice for high velocity impact...?

300 WSM, 180 Gr Berger's. 4 antelope, all at over 350yds. Hole in, big whole out. VERY accurate. I sure like them, but they are my long range bullets only, as they are designed for game over 200 yds. In close (like a lot of bullets that blow up) they disintegrate, they are designed to loose some of the speed before they get to game for expansion.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!