Thread: Fillet Knives....

Default Fillet Knives....

as a deck hand im gonna be filleting a bunch of hailbut this season. Im looking for some advice on getting a good fillet knige. I have been using the raplas which are nice but looking for somthing else. Also looking for some advice on a sharpener
    Thanks

I use Cutco's adjustable length fillet knives. Really like them. I have four, so I never have to sharpen on the dock. I have a professional electric sharpener in the motorhome that takes 30 seconds or less per knife.

Lightbulb

I'm a fan of the Kershaw fillet knives. I have a super long one for kings and a shorter version for reds and silvers.

In the past, I've used ceramic sharpeners. However, a buddy turned me on to a Smith product that's really impressive. Got one for Christmas and looking forward to trying it out this summer.

For details, go to:
    http://www.amazon.com/Knife-Scissor-...&s=home-garden

Forschner are as good as they come, and they come in a few sizes. They are priced right at about $15-25. I have a Cutco too, but they are much more expensive; but good.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

The best fillet knife I've ever owned I made out of a reciprocating saw blade. It holds an edge as well or better than any knife on the market and unlike almost every commercially available knife it fits my hand.

As for sharpening having been a wood worker/ carver my entire life I prefer the old school series of honing stones followed by polishing with a leather strap.

Rick P, does the leather strap effectively do the same thing as a honing steel would?
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default Knife

Just like tomcat said. Kershaw and a hand held sharpener. Doesn't have to be Smith. Lots of others out there just like it and avail. in town.

Default green river - hands down

http://www.fishermansheadquarters.co...xterrussel.htm

green river knife. hands down. plain and simple. in-expensive, flexible, easy to sharpen, extremely sharp edge can be put on them. I think this is because the metal is not that "hard" - it is high carbon steel.

I have been on numerous charter boats in CA and this particular knife, the 9" one with wood handle, is ALL I HAVE EVER SEEN A DECKHAND USE. And I mean everything - Halibut, Salmon, rockfish, whatever. They really whip thru the fish with this thing and sharpen it up in seconds when they need to. I bought one. To say the least, I was not disappointed.

I'm not a big fan of rapalas either, not as flexible, not as thin, harder to sharpen, not available in as long length. I have one and use it, but whatever. That's my opinion.

Just curious - and if anyone knows the answer, please chime in - doesn't a charter boat have its own knives?

Default Normark Knives

Normark knives available at Trustworthy in Soldotna for a couple of buck each. There is not a better knife on the market. flexible, easy to sharpen and hold an edge. Best of all, if you lose it, no sweat. I have a $40 cutco, but i would rather use my normark any day. when i go to the cleaning table I just grabe 4 or 5 knives and i can fillet all the fish without having to hone a knife. Then when i am not fishing, i hone them all nice and sharp. I buy 'em buy the dozen cuz' everyone wants to buy one from me...even my wife raids the boat looking for my stash of Normarks.....jokes on her...i don't keep my stash in the boat!
    What are ya...a fisherman...or a catcherman?

nice. i think im gonna go check out a few of these. what about lansky sharpeners?

Default Fillet Knives

I don't know about you but once I handled a Dexter Russell Fillet Knife I was hooked. For years I had struggled with a Rapala and I thought nothing of having to sharpen between fish. You will not be disappointed if you choose this knife. They also make a great sharpener but you won't need it much. Good luck and watch out it's the dull knife that cuts the user.http://www.dexter-russell.com/produc...ussell-int.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Ripface View Post
    Rick P, does the leather strap effectively do the same thing as a honing steel would?
    Basically yes but you have less of a chance of "rolling over the edge" with a leather strap.

They come in many lenghts and stiffness, I like a flexibul blade for for following the backbone and a stiff one for skin cuts. Russell and Forschner 7"-9" knives are all i'll use.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

I've had one of these for a few years and I love it for cutting halibut as it has the right flex for getting the meat off the ribs. http://pacwestoutdoors.com.mytempweb...h-fillet-knife

It holds a decent edge but I tend to like them razor sharp and will take a few strokes on a diamond hone between fish.

For removing the skin I use a straight blade carbon steel fillet knife with a different edge than I use for butchering.