Thread: little project for the wife

Default little project for the wife

So a customer of mine gave me some left over cedar lumber from a project of his. Tried to think of what to use it for whan it came to me that my wife really wants a picnic table... Sooo looked for some plans and decided to not go the simple route(although part way in I was almost regretting that deciscion ) So after deciding on a plan I gathered up some things and called in my expert helper..

He started of strong, I started cutting the pieces and he helped assemmble them...

got some more pieces cut but my helper seemed to be distracted by his fancy ride...

Well all was going well but decided to scrap the plans as some of thier numbers didnt add up...(cant expect much for freebie internet plans).. Looked around again for my helper and he decided it was time for lunch..

so after a quick bite we cut some more boards and did some sanding and finished the top and called it a day...

Strong work!

Where'd you get the plans? That's on my to do list this summer.

Great job Bear,
    Those miters look water tight,
    and your apprentice is coming along nicely.
    He won't need dad to help before you know it.
    Bittersweet, but what every good dad strives for.
    Well done

Nice way to use up some short sticks. Be sure to photo your legs. Good job with teaching the young one and don't forget one day to teach him how to read a tape measure. I've had 20 year old guys working that can not read a tape. I don't think they teach that in school. They must just use the ruler as a straight edge. Looks nice!

Great job Bear...awesome lookimg table.
    Looks like fun and sure your son enjoyed the time spent...good times
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Very nice indeed!!!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Well, you must have passed your geometry class!

thanks guys, its a fun little project and gets me some brownie points with the wife too.. its a little tricky and but not to difficult if you follow the plans.. I chose to make some minor adjustments to the plan and reduced the spacing in the boards on the top which gave me a bigger center hole that will eventially be modified to fit an umbrella of sorts.. The trick on this project with all the miters and dealing with non perfect lumber was to get the base as flat as possible.. You can have the tightest miter in the world but if it is not flat it will open up.. I did have a few that I back cut(cut off of a 90 degree so the top of the joint would be tighter) I also decided to put the outter ring together with biscuits ,glue and a strap prior to installing it on the table top frame work,this allowed me to make sure it was centered better with all the spokes..

power drifter I run into the same thing allllll the time with new laborers on the job...

jamesjq here is the link for where I found the freebie plans

http://freebies.about.com/od/free-pl...able-plans.htm

Oh and the big one for me and I am not sure if they mention it in the plans but I pre sanded all the pieces to make life easier in the end....

If you have never tried a Kreg tool, you should try one. They make jobs like that a breeze.

http://www.kregtool.com/pocket-hole-jigs-prodlist.html
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

That quality of handiwork absolutely blows my mind,...

I'm what I refer to as a "Chainsaw Carpenter," can make things work, and strong enuf,..(if you know what that looks like,..?)

but that final pic, the cuts, and fit,...Wow

I also love the, "Passing on the passion, to the next generation" part
    When that young man moves on to his own life, and dreams...with skills like that in his Toolbag
    he will have been given,
    one of the Greatest Advantages Imaginable,...
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    If you have never tried a Kreg tool, you should try one. They make jobs like that a breeze.

http://www.kregtool.com/pocket-hole-jigs-prodlist.html
    +1 to that; amazingly versatile fastening system. Looks sweet, Dave! Gotta love that child labor LOL
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

well day two started out with my big helper gettin ready...

cut all the leg pieces and sanded them up for install.. The boy did what he could to help out.. I used my finish nailer to tack all the pieces together and my son really got a kick out if it..

I found that you never have enough hands so I cut som blocks to the height of the seat braces and clamped them in place and it worked pretty slick

so now the moment of truth...flipping this pig over... right about now it is pretty dang heavy with all the lumber thats in it... Oh and I made some more changes too.. I used lag bolts vs screws to hold the legs and braces all together, I know the kids will be hammering this thing so I want to make sure it holds up to the abuse..

well on to the final cuts.... the seat.. on the first go around on the to I premade the first ring but this time I decided to just cut and stack and adjust size and angles as needed(very minor to keep joints tight) and last but not least a but load of wood filler to fill all the imperfections and nail and screw holes and the true test was my son taking a long needed rest at his new table,, Probably just leave it sit for the night sand it up tomorrow.. All in all a pretty fun project and lot o fun hangin out with my son and the bonus is a happy wife... He stuck it out for a lot of it too..

Looking good Bear,
    What kind of finish are you using?