Thread: Anyone have experience with the 8.1L marine

Default Anyone have experience with the 8.1L marine

I am looking into purchasing a new boat. The only question I have is it has the 8.1L in it. I know they no longer make this motor and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this motor.
    The boat is a 22 footer.

What do you want to know?
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

I have a friend in OR with a North River that has that engine. He loves it, it blows the gunwales off most other boats, and he hasn't had any reliability issues with it. He only gets it out a few times a year though. I'm sure it's a VERY thirsty boat too.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I have heard that the 8.1 burns alot of oil
    Also was wondering what kind of fuel consumption at cruise. I was guessing somewhere around 8- 10 gph.
    Really was just hoping to hear from someone that has the 8.1 and their experience with it.

Yeah, that is what I was wondering if the fuel consumption would just be way over the top.

I had a carburetor 350 in a 22ft before this 24ft with FI 8.1L and the fuel consumption is about the same. I opted for the standard, not the high output 8.1 because the HO requires premium fuel. It does not use oil. It'll do 49mph on the GPS down the Yetna.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Maybe if you didnt go so fast to peel back yer dawgs gums.......LOL.....he really needs a good cleaning too.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Had a 8.1, 375 hp duo prop in my 24 foot Sea Sport. Owned the boat for almost 9 years and had ZERO issues with the motor. Didnt matter how many people or how much weight we had in the boat it would immediately jump on step. Cruised at roughly 25-27 mph and fuel consumption ranged from 2 - 2.2 mpg. From the guys I talked to who owned the same boat with the smaller 350 ci motor my fuel economy was as good if not better than theirs. Most likely because I was cruising at only about 2,500-2,700 rpms while they were running closer to 3,500. Would use maybe 1 quart of oil each seasoon. Had the same motor in my 25 Thunderjet and zero issues with it as well.

But, I just don't see the sense in having a 496 in a 22 foot boat unless you were carrying very heavy loads all the time. Or if the boat is a inboard jet and you need to run fast all the time. But then be prepared to pay for it at the pump.
    Tennessee

I have had 2 496's one a Marine Power and one a Kodiak not the HO model, they do not use oil. I get 10gph at 3000-3200 cruse rpm. The boat is a 23 Wooldridge with a 212 and a 4.0 impeller. The gph will depend on the boat and driver I have heard of 12 to 14gph depending on how fast the guy wants to go. The engines were very popular when you could get one, I would buy one again, I did see one at the sportsman show that was a mercury package. I think it was $13,000.00 now the choices are limited to the 6.2 SC and standard 6.2, 410hp

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Had a 8.1, 375 hp duo prop in my 24 foot Sea Sport. Owned the boat for almost 9 years and had ZERO issues with the motor. Didnt matter how many people or how much weight we had in the boat it would immediately jump on step. Cruised at roughly 25-27 mph and fuel consumption ranged from 2 - 2.2 mpg. From the guys I talked to who owned the same boat with the smaller 350 ci motor my fuel economy was as good if not better than theirs. Most likely because I was cruising at only about 2,500-2,700 rpms while they were running closer to 3,500. Would use maybe 1 quart of oil each seasoon. Had the same motor in my 25 Thunderjet and zero issues with it as well.

But, I just don't see the sense in having a 496 in a 22 foot boat unless you were carrying very heavy loads all the time. Or if the boat is a inboard jet and you need to run fast all the time. But then be prepared to pay for it at the pump.

The boat I am looking at is an inboard jet with a 212.

Quote Originally Posted by AK6Pack View Post
    The boat I am looking at is an inboard jet with a 212.
    Depending on the age of the boat you may have a 3.4 impeller or the new 4.0 this one the 4.0 would be a better choice for lower operating rpm and better fuel consumption.