Thread: what power scope recommendation

Default what power scope recommendation

Looking for a spotting scope for sheep hunting. Wandering what power zoom is recommended. Trying to find a happy medium between packability and power. I have my eyes on a vortex razor hd 11-33x50. Its compact and light, but do you think it has enough power?

I frequently can't use much beyond 30x or so due to mirage under most conditions.... 1 currently have a 15-40x Zeiss and think it's plenty and then some.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Good resolution is what makes the difference. A high quality 20X scope with high resolution is better than a cheap 60X scope with poor resolution.

If that scope gives excellent resolution at 33X then I'd think it'd be a great scope. I do like higher power when conditions permit but most of time I'm around 30X. My scope is 17-52X 65mm.

Higher the mag then the larger the objective lens needs to be. Generally speaking, 65mm scope maxes at about 45-50X. 80mm maxes at about 60X. I would think 50mm would be fine for 33X if it is high quality. Maybe a little dimmer than a 65mm but you get a lighter unit tho.

Have you personally checked out this scope? It sounds intriguing if it has good optics. It seems that the 65mm scopes are the most popular compromise for us sheep hunters between size and weight.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Ya I went and checked one out last night. Seems like a good piece of equipment. I'm always a little hesitant buying things new to me. This will be my first spotter. Thanks for the advise.

I have one coming for when I don't want to carry my 85mm zeiss along...should save a LOT of bulk and 2.5 pounds

I'm pretty happy with my bushnell elite 6500 4.5x30x50. Reaches way out, but is still usable for closer range work.

Crap, you're talking about spotting scopes........Nevermind.

........head --> desk.