Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: towing question

Default towing question

My boat is arriving in Seward this week. 1997 bayliner 2859 on brand new aluminum triple axle with surge disk brakes. A friend wants to help me tow it with his 2007 ford 150, class V hitch. Looking at his truck manual I think it is good for 9000 lbs. Do you think this will work for a one time haul? Or should I try to find a friend with a 250 or bigger? I know my Prius will not work.

Thanks

I have used my dodge half ton to tow a boat that was just a hair over 10k and it did just fine. Take your time and you should be fine watch the down hills because the boat being that heavy will try to push you but with trailer breaks it shouldn't be that bad. Just don't get in a hurry.

One big question I would have though is what is the experience level of the driver pulling bigger loads? That could make a huge difference.
    Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I would read the fine print on the towing specs for that truck. I doubt its rated to pull 9K lbs without a weigh distribution hitch. My diesel excursion is only rated for 5K without a weight distribution hitch and 12.5K with. I for one would not do it.. seen way too many big boats chase a small truck down a hill and end up on top of it.

On a side note, the first thing I would do is get rid of the surge brakes and get a ele over hydraulic setup.. best $ I ever spend on my boat trailer.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

IMO a diesel truck would make your tow a lot easier and A LOT less stressful. Instead of relying on truck brakes/trailer brakes, you can have the engine do a lot of the slow down (compression or exhaust braking) instead of brake pads. The power is also a benefit, that is a fairly large boat, and that truck would have to do major work to get that thing up some of the hills and then your brakes would have to do major work to get you down the other side. How far are you traveling?

I agree with JR2, those weight distributing hitches make a world of difference in how much control the boat would have over the truck. Best of luck to you along your endeavor.

Are you willing to pay for a new transmission for your friends truck if it goes out? Turnagain pass is a dangerous road even without people pulling trailers too big for their trucks. My advice is don't put your life and the lives of others at risk by pulling too big of a load over the pass.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

You will know for sure when you go to launch...hope it is not a bitter lesson
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Jr2 good advice. If the load is within your friends truck rating (properly equipped), should be ok.
    Surge brakes won't help you going down hill!

Just picked up my boat from Seward a couple of weeks ago. It is 11k on the trailer (probably close to the same for yours) and that is a lot of weight. We had a new F350 SD and it was fine, any less truck and it would have been scary. IMO an F150 is not nearly enough truck.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I would read the fine print on the towing specs for that truck. I doubt its rated to pull 9K lbs without a weigh distribution hitch. My diesel excursion is only rated for 5K without a weight distribution hitch and 12.5K with. I for one would not do it.. seen way too many big boats chase a small truck down a hill and end up on top of it.

On a side note, the first thing I would do is get rid of the surge brakes and get a ele over hydraulic setup.. best $ I ever spend on my boat trailer.
    We converted our little trailer to elect last spring... Makes a Big difference in the pucker factor going down the hills into Homer and Seward..! Those surge brakes aren't going to do anything to hold that weight back going down a steep hill.

On flat ground sure, from Seward to Anchorage......I wouldn't be real excited about it, a weight distributing hitch will make a huge difference. Essentially it will double the capacity of the hitch and tongue weight that can be placed on the hitch. The biggie will be going down hill, presuming the 150 has enough power/ gears to get to the Y....
    Taking it slow will help and no doubt that will be naturally enforced going up, going down the other side is another story.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Was driving home the other day and seen a 26ft hews craft pacific explorer being pulled by a little tiny jeep Cherokee. I don't know where he was going or coming from but that sure made that boat look a lot bigger. I had to look twice.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Ken, maybe your friend will help me tow mine to Girdwood. If you are back in town,I can not wait to see your Maxweld.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    You will know for sure when you go to launch...hope it is not a bitter lesson
    Roger OK, I might be foolish wanting to tow it home with the 150, but I sure will not try to launch it with anything less that a 250. Thanks for the info.

Ken

Even my 250 only had a carry weight of 8000 lbs on the class V. It had more distribution weight but that doesn't apply with surge. I put a new hitch on my truck as soon as I got it. 18,000lbs carry weight.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I wouldn't even considering towing that big of a boat down the highway with a 150. You really need to find a different alternative to move that boat safely.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

What does it cost to change the brakes from surge to elect.?

Default Not Enough Truck

I have a 99 2858 which is 600 lbs heavier and I would never dream of towing it with a half ton. I use a 1 ton diesel and it's almost not enough. The brakes on a half ton are not big enough to stop something that big. I'm not sure how you would use a weight distribution hutch on a boat trailer they're meant to be used a trailer frame that y's right at the hitch a boat trailer usually has one long main beam on the front so you would need some kind of adapter.

Towing a boat that big with a 1/2 ton would be very dangerous. Just the length and height of the boat is to much you a small truck you would be all over the road.

I towed a 6000 pound camper a few time with a 1/2 ton without the trailer brakes hooked up and I would never do it again. I was on the Seward highway and the car in front of me came to a sudden stop and I slammed on the brakes and the pedal went to the floor. When I hit the brakes hard one of the crimps on brake hose that goes to the rear tire came apart and I lost all my brake pressure. I pumped the brakes and barely missed hitting the car.

Why would you try to tow with less truck than you would use to launch it??? Turnagain Pass is almost as steep as the launch ramp and a lot long.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Even my 250 only had a carry weight of 8000 lbs on the class V. It had more distribution weight but that doesn't apply with surge. I put a new hitch on my truck as soon as I got it. 18,000lbs carry weight.
    Curt industrial duty?

That's what I put on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesjq View Post
    Curt industrial duty?

That's what I put on mine.
    I went with the Titan. I bought the 2011 Super Duty with the 6.7 right after they came out and Titan was the first I could find with a big enough rating. I have a friend that put the Curt on his Duramax and its a nice hitch.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by HuntinAK View Post
    I'm not sure how you would use a weight distribution hutch on a boat trailer they're meant to be used a trailer frame that y's right at the hitch a boat trailer usually has one long main beam on the front so you would need some kind of adapter.
    Heres a couple of ways to use a WD hitch on a single pole tongue, weight distributing hitches work well and the only way to tow heavy loads w/ a pickup.....IMO

“Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast