Thread: Hunting Partner -Spring Black Bear

Default Hunting Partner -Spring Black Bear

Hey guys,

I'm looking for anyone who has plans to bowhunt spring bear. I am willing to split costs! May be up for taking a plane, depending on cost etc... I'm not looking to steal anyone's spot I just want to learn and not go it alone! I also want to throw out there that I am not looking for some huge trophy bear, I just want to experience the joy of hunting bear, as well as putting meat in my freezer. I don't have to tell anyone in this forum the pride of putting wild game on your table.

Where in the state are you located? What type of hunting are you interested in doing? Spot and stalk or hunting over bait?

I'm located in the Anchorage area. I had planned to do the spot and stalk but at this point I won't be picky if someone is willing to take me out that is hunting over bait.

depending on how my season goes and if my wife connects with her first blackie we may have some space on one of our 2 sites we are running they are set up for either bow or rifle (36-40yd from stand to barrel). I will keep you posted as the season drags on.. still over 2 feet of snow where we are running bait so we wont expect any action for another 2-3 weeks.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Thanks NhraFox, I sent you a PM.

????? You would be hunting with a Bow.......??? Also, how much notice to you need......??? in good shape to climb.......???

I would be hunting with a bow, I would need a few days notice to make work arrangements and get my game bags soaked etc... I rock climb so I hope to be in good enough shape to climb

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhawk View Post
    I would be hunting with a bow, I would need a few days notice to make work arrangements and get my game bags soaked etc... I rock climb so I hope to be in good enough shape to climb
    What are you going to soak your game bags in....and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I wondered that also.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I was wondering the same thing, after a bit of Google re-search, some folks soak their bags in a citric acid bath and then dry them, thus producing a bag which claims to help ward off flies and bacteria. I've never heard of it before but found several internet posts on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I was wondering the same thing, after a bit of Google re-search, some folks soak their bags in a citric acid bath and then dry them, thus producing a bag which claims to help ward off flies and bacteria. I've never heard of it before but found several internet posts on the subject.
    I know people use lemon juice and spray it on the meat after hung to cool.

Yea i've heard lemon juice is sometime used but I was talking about soaking them in Game Saver. Game Saver is hailed by many to be an awesome meat protector. It can't hurt.

It can't hurt, but don't pass up an opportunity because your bags aren't soaked. I've never soaked mine, and never a problem.

Game saver is Citric Acid you can buy a pound of Citric Acid for one package of Game saver.

Alaska mill feed & seed.
    drug store
    store that sells wine making equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Game saver is Citric Acid you can buy a pound of Citric Acid for one package of Game saver.

Alaska mill feed & seed.
    drug store
    store that sells wine making equipment.
    Three Bears...

FYI much of the advice on soaking bags I was reading seemed to indicate it was most applicable for long hunts where the meat may not get processed quickly and warm climates...

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhawk View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm looking for anyone who has plans to bowhunt spring bear. I am willing to split costs! May be up for taking a plane, depending on cost etc... I'm not looking to steal anyone's spot I just want to learn and not go it alone! I also want to throw out there that I am not looking for some huge trophy bear, I just want to experience the joy of hunting bear, as well as putting meat in my freezer. I don't have to tell anyone in this forum the pride of putting wild game on your table.

Well it was a pleasure meeting you and your husband friday, and the weather cleared enough for a decent day out today. Some good laughs were that's for sure! Screan name should be changed to Baby Steps though! LOL ah yeah, good times. Now ya have an area to hunt, HUSH, is our little secret, kinda, not really, but heck HUSH anyways! LOL Glad it all worked out. Will hunt with ya any day it works out! You'll do just fine and your willing to learn and do so.

Guys, she is cool. In my terms, she's LEGIT. Just trying to learn from scratch. We put some miles on today, only saw tracks though and sheep, which was cool, but.....yeah they are not in season! So.................the hunt shall continue. She knows what she will need to upgrade for especially moose hunting. She kept up with us 6'3" and 6'5" guys, which is where baby steps comes from! Two steps to one of ours! Came to the conclusion that means she walks twice as far us, LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Well it was a pleasure meeting you and your husband friday, and the weather cleared enough for a decent day out today. Some good laughs were that's for sure! Screan name should be changed to Baby Steps though! LOL ah yeah, good times. Now ya have an area to hunt, HUSH, is our little secret, kinda, not really, but heck HUSH anyways! LOL Glad it all worked out. Will hunt with ya any day it works out! You'll do just fine and your willing to learn and do so.

Guys, she is cool. In my terms, she's LEGIT. Just trying to learn from scratch. We put some miles on today, only saw tracks though and sheep, which was cool, but.....yeah they are not in season! So.................the hunt shall continue. She knows what she will need to upgrade for especially moose hunting. She kept up with us 6'3" and 6'5" guys, which is where baby steps comes from! Two steps to one of ours! Came to the conclusion that means she walks twice as far us, LOL!
    And she has a hawk to hunt with. How cool is that!? She's pretty awesome!
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

Thanks akrstabout! I had a blast out there and definitely ready to go again... I DID walk twice as far as you guys lol maybe I should change the screen name! I'm glad it wasn't raining! Learning from scratch... that should probably be my new motto! Thanks again for taking me, there are more good times to be had for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post
    And she has a hawk to hunt with. How cool is that!? She's pretty awesome!
    Next hunting season I'd be more than happy to take you out with me looking for some bunnies.

Good job man!! How cool is that!!

President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.