Thread: Casting for Kings in Juneau

Default Casting for Kings in Juneau

Hey I'm new to the Juneau area and don't have a boat but I want to do some King fishing. I heard False Outer Point is a good spot. Are there any other places I can hook into a King from shore?

The bite has been really dead lately in Juneau. I've only heard a couple reports of fish being landed, and that counts guys on boats. Scoring a King is like winning the lottery right now.

False Outer is your barometer to see if the Kings are in. Everyone and their brother fishes that spot. If you see 10-20 people down there on a weekday, you'll know the Kings have arrived. Word spreads fast.

I've heard of guys catching them at the Shrine before, but never have fished out there myself. As the season rolls along towards May-June you can also catch them from the mouth of Fish Creek or also Auke Bay Lab.

The Dolly's are starting to show up now too. Sure they're not salmon, but at least it's a way for you to get some action on your line. You'll need smaller trout sized lures, flies, and spinners for them. Near the mouth of streams is usually good (Montana, Fish creek, Sheep creek, kowee).

Some suggestions:

Outer Point - hike from the end of N. Douglas hwy to the west. Walk the beach about 1 mile up to "true" Outer Point, or fish off the exposed reef (with land bridge) at low tide.

False Outer Point. Lots of fish get caught, but it's combat fishing at it's best (worst?)

Fish Creek. When the terminal fish show up. Mouth of of the Cr. where it dumps into Friitz Cove (very low tide) or near the N.D. boat lauch, or in the pond after July 4th.

Under the J-D Bridge.

Mayflower Island.

Out Thane south of the end of the road

Pt. Louisa

Tee Harbor

Breadline (Take Breadline Bluff trail)

Auke Bay. Near the NOAA Lab. When the hatchery kings show up.

DIPAC. When the hatchery kings show up.

Thanks for the information! Good to know there's a few spots around Auke Bay since I live in the valley. Less of a drive. Will most likely be heading out this weekend. Can't let a little snow stop me. Will take the kids out next weekend for Dolly's if the weather clears up.

I'd have a hard time getting excited about the Kings this year.

Last I heard the Trollers in Sitka are just now barely halfway through their Winter Troll quota and the season closes in a couple of days. Guys are only coming in with about 30 fish from a 5 day haul....Not good numbers at all.

It looks like the return is going to be pretty dismal this year. Hardly makes it worth it for a guy to spend the gas or time chasing Kings when theres other fish to be had that are more plentiful!

Have we been through King droughts like this before or is this unprecedented?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaFishTerminator View Post
    Have we been through King droughts like this before or is this unprecedented?
    My understanding is that we tend to go through a 10 year cycle.

Generally, when WA, CA, and OR are having good King returns...we'll have poorer returns. I know the Columbia river is supposed to have a great return of Kings this year, and from what I've heard a lot of the fish that are being caught in Sitka are those fish. (3yo fish that are right around 28").

So, for the last several years its been really bad in those states, with very few fisheries....Now it looks like we're starting to reach the low point in that cycle for us.

I've heard a lot of it has to do with different ocean currents and temperatures...and that right now theres a colder current up in the southeast area...

I dunno though...just different hypothesis' I've heard....

Well in Juneau's more recent history, we've never really had the great feeder numbers like they do in Sitka. I always focus on the spawner Kings. A Fish and Game guy told me the count samples they took of the stream exiting smolts from the Taku river this Spring and last Spring (2012) were dismal. So it not looking like we're going to have very good King returns for some time to come in Juneau. Maybe the DIPAC hatchery will offset some of that though. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaFishTerminator View Post
    I always focus on the spawner Kings.
    That changed for me to the exact opposite thinking about about 10 years ago. The terminal fishery is so good now and the price of gas and fuel consumption gets spendy. Haven't been to Pt. Bishop, Pt. Greely, Icy Point, Arden/False Arden, Doty's in quite a while. Plus, you're not limited to one king per person per day in the terminal area + no size limit.