Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you prepare your rice?

Default How do you prepare your rice?

For me, it's just not a good week unless I make rice with dinner a couple times MINIMUM.......got a pot simmerin' away on the stove right now, in fact. Got me to thinkin'...."there's so many ways to prepare this wonderful little grain, I wonder how them other folk do it?" So what say ye, wash or no wash? Stovetop, rice cooker, or....? White, brown, wild? Do you add anything? Short grain or long? Lift the lid during cooking or not? Minute Rice eaters, feel free to sit this one out
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Brown rice, rice cooker, rinsed once if I remember to. I have been meaning to try the pasta method though just to see - cook with lots of water and discard extra when done. Never add anything unless I'm making a rice dish like curried rice with raisins and shrimp/venison/elk. Actually been kind of getting away from rice a little bit lately, last two nights has been quinoa. Kind of prefer shorter grain with the brown as it is a wetter/chewier grain than the light/dry long grain.

Wild rice for me..........love it however my wife cooks it up...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    For me, it's just not a good week unless I make rice with dinner a couple times MINIMUM.......got a pot simmerin' away on the stove right now, in fact. Got me to thinkin'...."there's so many ways to prepare this wonderful little grain, I wonder how them other folk do it?" So what say ye, wash or no wash? Stovetop, rice cooker, or....? White, brown, wild? Do you add anything? Short grain or long? Lift the lid during cooking or not? Minute Rice eaters, feel free to sit this one out
    No rinse; all varieties, all lengths; always on the stovetop; NEVER lift the lid; don't usually add anything.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I almost live off of rice, and whatever I think of to put on it. Today was white rice with roast beef and BBQ sauce.

I usually take a cup of water, boil it, then add cup of rice and put lid on. 10-15 mins later, I put rice into whatever bowl, and add ingredients.

Recent additions include just chicken bullion, grilled chicken and spices, beef chunks, boiled hot dogs, etc.

Not so recent additions include boiled bunny, grilled grouse, ptarmigan, trout (fillet), and redneck sushi (raw sockeye chunks and rice).

Yep, kind of weird, and simple, but rice is so cheap and versatile, I can't help it.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Wish I could get away from it occasionally....wife is korean...

Think I have had it every way possible. One thing I hve learned is washing it multiple times until the water runs clear is important. Seems she can tell if I dont..lol
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

We've mostly switched over to quinoa. We maybe use rice 15% of the time, but now substitute quinoa on almost all recipes that we used to use rice for. I probably prefer rice by a small degree, but quinoa is a good substitute and quite healthy. Made in our zojirushi rice cooker, it is every bit as easy to make as rice.

Stove top, 2 cups water 1 cup white jasmin rice. Here is how I eat it , put on plate, spread on good portion of soft butter, then sprinkle on a large amount of BREWERS YEAST and then soy sauce on that, stir and enjoy. Brewers yeast is also great on popcorn and pasta, always with lots of butter of course.

Geez,...I've been into Rice forever,..."Never even considered," rinsing it,...(??)

Reading this,....especially Duckhunters Wife's, ...."Knowing, if it's not rinsed Enough,...."
    makes me feel like a total rookie,....
    Well, live and learn,...

I use a rice cooker most of the time,...which I know is slackin' some, but works well on the boat,..
    and Brown, or Wild Rice,..is good, but majority of what I use is either Jasmine or Calrose

Cool Thread idea,...I've just learned a bunch of new additions ideas,...

but I must say, "Truth is..., I'm a rice Fool, I'm happy with a bowl of it, and just some butter, and Soy Sauce

So,.....I'd be interested in answers to this extreme question,...
    "Did anyone else, get through the Poor Boy College days with, "Rice,..... and Ketchup,...??"
    Nah, I didn't think so,...

My roommate and I Actually did that,..and I still love the stuff,...
    (we weren't That Poor,...but just had higher priorities, than what it took to eat,...can you guess ??)
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Thumbs up Rice cooker . .

Rice cooker . . rice cooker . . rice cooker . .

Rinse well, rice cooker with chicken stock instead of water for the liquid.
    Also a shot of sesame oil in the liquid.
    In the winter I use the woodstove for heat vs. the rice cooker.

When done, some butter and sprinkled with Slap-your-momma cajun seasoning.

BK

wow bk, that sounds really good
    especially the Sesame oil
    Apparently,...I have been missing out

eager to start trying all these ideas now
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

When my daughter was born the hospital served her rice with a meal and it was excellent. I inquired how they spruced it up to make it so tasty and found the cook substituted chix broth for water and added a dash of sesame oil to the liquid.
    Been doing it this way ever since.
    Hope you like it.
    BK

Never did the rice and ketchup but I have lived on rice and sriracha before. Same idea just more of a kick!

when rice is harvested in a massive field......guess where they go to the bathroom? The same spot they pick the rice.

I rinse the rice with cold water.

About 9 years ago, I worked at a small hydraulic valve manufacturing facility. There were all of four of us who ran the machine shop and assembly shop. I was one of the two in the assembly shop. My supervisor, Rico, was an immigrant from the Philippines. He latched on to me as if I were the son he always wanted, and invited me to eat every meal, every day at his house. I hated to turn him down, but I did have my own family and he understood.

There were times though, that my wife and kids were away, so I went over, and WOW was the food good. They ate rice with every meal. No kidding. They had an enormous rice cooker that was always full, and it was perfect every time. I'm not sure exactly how they did it, but Rico's father (who lived with them) actually built the rice cooker. It wasn't one of those electric jobbies you buy in the store.

It was the best rice I've ever had.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

A friend of mine in MN has a small wild rice processing facility.
    It is all hand harvested long grain wild rice(not cultivated farmed wild rice).
    We make wild rice soup with it and it is the best ever. Hamburger onions celery cream of mushroom soup and wild rice of course.
    My wife makes a homeade sourdough from some starter she got and it goes freat with the soup.
    If I was a drinker a beer would probably go well with it but I prefer a big glass of milk.
    We always buy a few bags from him and have it sent up.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Looks like I am the black sheep of this group. I consume all my rice in the form of bud light.

For meals, I am such a fan of meat that I usually just eat moose burgers, grilled salmon, or whatever meat I cooked as the main course. You guys are making me feel guilty here as it sounds like all of you stick to a much healthier diet than I do. I do think the rice made with chicken broth sounds kinda good maybe I will have to give that a try...

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    A friend of mine in MN has a small wild rice processing facility.
    It is all hand harvested long grain wild rice(not cultivated farmed wild rice).
    We make wild rice soup with it and it is the best ever. Hamburger onions celery cream of mushroom soup and wild rice of course.
    My wife makes a homeade sourdough from some starter she got and it goes freat with the soup.
    If I was a drinker a beer would probably go well with it but I prefer a big glass of milk.
    We always buy a few bags from him and have it sent up.
    I'm from Minn dude and just ordered in 10 pounds of wild rice that cost me $10 or maybe more for shipping but will last me 2 years anyway, but the trick to wild rice is cook the **** out of it for an hour to even an hour and a half unlike white rice that only takes 10 to 15 minutes after it comes to a boil in the pot and turn down the heat and put a lid in it. Most people that don't like wild rice probably ate it undone and chewy. If you cook that stuff long enough and get it tender it is to die for.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by safari View Post
    Looks like I am the black sheep of this group. I consume all my rice in the form of bud light.

For meals, I am such a fan of meat that I usually just eat moose burgers, grilled salmon, or whatever meat I cooked as the main course. You guys are making me feel guilty here as it sounds like all of you stick to a much healthier diet than I do. I do think the rice made with chicken broth sounds kinda good maybe I will have to give that a try...
    You do have a point Safari on the rice beer, Me myself is a PBR man cuz all my life they said theres 2 pork chops to every pabst, but for a side of rice, not one to turn down one or two Buds...
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast