Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .300 RUM for bear?

Default .300 RUM for bear?

Looking at buying a new .300 RUM for Black bear and Brown bear - I have zero expierence with this caliber and am looking for feedback on it.

If you know anything about the 300 Win. Mag or the 300 Weatherby, then you know all you need to know about the 300 RUM because it is both of those in spades. It's a HIGH powered 30 cal magnum that demands premium bullets, especially for bear. Go heavy for caliber (200 grain bullets) with said premium bullets and you will have no problems.

The 300 RUM is a very potent cartridge that falls in a whole different category than compared to the 300 Win. Mag. or 300 WSM. With 200-grain Swift A-Frames bullets, you'll have a serious bear combo. I'd rather use this setup on brown bear than, say, a 338 Win. Mag. shooting 210-grain Nosler Partitions. Just because of the superior velocity and the fact that I believe the A-Frame is a better bullet than the Nosler Partition, plus from experience of my brown bear kill using A-Frame bullets.

How does it handle Barnes TSx's and the likes? Recoil? Typical cost and availability of ammo? I'm thinking for most effeciancy I will have to reload - Which I can deal with.

I have a model 700 in 300 RUM.

It kicks like a mule and shoots very well with Barnes 200gr TSX bullets. 3 inch group at 200 yards.

As an example, I recently bought a CZ 375 H&H. I shot 20 rounds out of it and was still good moving my arm the next day. If I shot that many out of the 300 RUM I would have needed to put my arm in a sling for the rest of the week.

Ammo availability is spotty at best. Don't expect to go out in the boonies and find a box at the local store. Sportmans has it as do other larger retail outlets. It is also expensive...with a box of 20 costing AT LEAST $43.00 or more. That is why I reload.

One thing I will point out is that if you are hunting for bear, make sure your reloaded ammo is toned down to fly below 3000fps. That way if you have to make an up close and personal shot your bullet wont fragment and fail to make a killing shot. I load all my ammo for velocities between 2800 and 3000fps for that reason. "Probably" wont be an issue if you use premium bullets.

I have a 300 RUM in model 700. I love it. the recoil doesn't bother me (I have always had a decellerator pad on mine) as much as the barrel jump from shooting. I am eventually either getting a muzzlebrake or porting job done on it. I reloaded some 180 grain TSXs this last year for moose. I got a pretty good group out of my first experiment load. I would say it was about .75" at 100 yds. (first 2 shots were almost touching and the third was about the width of a bullet away....I covered all three shots with one of those dots that come with a shoot and see target) I decided to start reloading when I had to drive all over town to find bullets and the only thing that was available was 180 grain swift scriccos for $48 a box! Other than that and the amount of powder it takes to reload, (about 20 grains more than a 300 winmag) I love the round. I can reload TSXs for about $1 a round.

Had one for awhile and traded it. As stated, it kicks like a mule with a ton of muzzle blast and barrel jump. As a comparison, my 338 Mag and heavy 45-70 loads out of my Guide Gun are way easier to handle The 300 WIn Mag is a *****cat by comparison. The 26" barrel needed to burn that huge powder charge is a pain. The RUMS also have extremely short barrel life. I was told personally by a Remington Custom Shop gunsmith that the barrel life on a RUM is 1000-1500 rounds. He advised that's the price of that level of performance. Brass and ammo are expensive too.

On the plus side, it was, like most Remington 700's, very accurate. I worked up several sub-MOA loads. It seemed to be at it's best with 180-200 grain bullets. Don't mess around with anything but premium bullets, the standard stuff doesn't hold up. It hit like a bomb, and no doubt it would be serious elk/moose/big bear medicine.

I still have a SS LH 700 in 7MM RUM. Barrel life, ammo, and components are still pricey, but it's a much easier and more pleasant rifle to shoot than the 300 RUM. And it shoots well; sub-MOA with a handload that produces 3400FPS with a 160 grain Nosler Accubond. Absolutely clobbered a big bodied 6X7 prairie whitetail with it last season. Don't see any reason, other than the 26" barrel, that it would be a bad choice for bear, particularly using 175 grain premiums...

300rum with 180tsx's over 110grs of 8700 works for me

bears hate em'

Default RUM RUM Just Punishment

To all you 300 RUM shooters, all you doing is punishing yourself! A bullet out of a 30-06 will do you just as good. The only difference is about 4 or 5 inches in trajectory at 400 yards.

30-06 Hornady factory load– 180g 2900fps.+3 @100 +1.5@200 -5@300 -18.5@400 -38.8@500

300 RUM-from Remington website Long-Range Trajectory
    Cartridge Type Bullet 100 150 200 250 300 400 500
    Premier® Core-Lok 2.1 2.5 1.8 zero -3.1 -13.6 -30.7

Energy is for suckers it has no real value in hunting, it's all about the wound channel you bullet makes.

And!!
    A Barnes –X bullet will make tiny holes and doesn’t deliver much killing power compared to a other expanding bullets that loose a little weight. Putting holes in trees and dirt behind the target does nothing to kill the animal. The greatest wound channel made by the bullet will kill the animal the fastest. Barnes X takes a back seat to most, Nosler partition is king, and the like do very well.

If you want more killing power move up in bore size .375 or .458

Question why?

Just curious about loading the 300 RUM down. If one does that, then why not just get a 300WM...everything less expensive? It seems like that defeats the purpose of having the beastly cartridge. The personal reason for getting it in the first place should be just that...the reason for getting it, whatever it may be. Kinda like getting a 600 hp Hemi and putting a 2 barrel carb on it. Thanks, ciao.

Also more than likely you will have to have a muzzle break on any RUM, which will take years off your hearing even when wearing hearing protection.

I will completely disagree with Bernie on the subject of a 30-06 over a 300RUM.

I witnessed a caribou shot with a 30-06 at about 400 yards. Took 6 shots to keep it down and ALL of the bullets barely penetrated and were found inside the animal. Factory ammo and had pathetic penetration and tiny knockdown power at that range. All were good shots too! I told the shooter he better never carry that gun around me again as it did nothing but wound the animal and require many follow up shots to dispatch it. Some (not all) of those 30-06 shooters are punishing the animals they are hunting by not making a kill shot on the first bullet downrange.

I have shot a caribou at 450 yards with the 300 RUM and it went down in one shot with full body in and out penetration.

I load my ammo down in velocity only when shooting what I call "non-premium" bullets. As an example the Hornady 180gr SST. I bought the gun because if it's power and range, not understanding at the time that flying a bullet at over 3100fps will cause it to basically fragment to nothing on impact (in a lot of the bullets). So unless I am shooting the high dollar bullets, I load down to a good accurate load that works well on pretty much everything. I have learned that faster is not always better.

Quote Originally Posted by KirovPDR View Post
    I will completely disagree with Bernie on the subject of a 30-06 over a 300RUM.

I witnessed a caribou shot with a 30-06 at about 400 yards. Took 6 shots to keep it down and ALL of the bullets barely penetrated and were found inside the animal. Factory ammo and had pathetic penetration and tiny knockdown power at that range. All were good shots too! I told the shooter he better never carry that gun around me again as it did nothing but wound the animal and require many follow up shots to dispatch it. Some (not all) of those 30-06 shooters are punishing the animals they are hunting by not making a kill shot on the first bullet downrange.

I have shot a caribou at 450 yards with the 300 RUM and it went down in one shot with full body in and out penetration.

I load my ammo down in velocity only when shooting what I call "non-premium" bullets. As an example the Hornady 180gr SST. I bought the gun because if it's power and range, not understanding at the time that flying a bullet at over 3100fps will cause it to basically fragment to nothing on impact (in a lot of the bullets). So unless I am shooting the high dollar bullets, I load down to a good accurate load that works well on pretty much everything. I have learned that faster is not always better.

You said it yourself!!!! “I have learned that faster is not always better”

I would probably guess that the 400 yard shot with a 30-06 was with a Swift A-frame or a T/B bear claw yes at those ranges that type of bullet would have a problem opening up. Try a Noslar partition or a Hornady interlock and you will see one shot stop. But what’s the challenge of shooting a bou at 400 -500 yards, show some hunting skill and get within 200 at least!

KirovPDR
    “I told the shooter he better never carry that gun around me again as it did nothing but wound the animal and require many follow up shots to dispatch it.”

Are you saying a 30-06 is not adequate for North American game?!?!?!?!

This wasnt a thread to praise the 30-06 - I was asking for feedback on a PARTICULAR cartridge - I have my own reasonings for my interrest in the .300 RUM - I'm sorry that that doesnt fit in to your own personal views - But if you dont have somthing productive to contribute to this thread other than your own personal opinions - Please, take it elsewhere or start your own thread.

Default Are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie1 View Post
    To all you 300 RUM shooters, all you doing is punishing yourself! A bullet out of a 30-06 will do you just as good. The only difference is about 4 or 5 inches in trajectory at 400 yards.

30-06 Hornady factory load– 180g 2900fps.+3 @100 +1.5@200 -5@300 -18.5@400 -38.8@500

300 RUM-from Remington website Long-Range Trajectory
    Cartridge Type Bullet 100 150 200 250 300 400 500
    Premier® Core-Lok 2.1 2.5 1.8 zero -3.1 -13.6 -30.7

Energy is for suckers it has no real value in hunting, it's all about the wound channel you bullet makes.

And!!
    A Barnes –X bullet will make tiny holes and doesn’t deliver much killing power compared to a other expanding bullets that loose a little weight. Putting holes in trees and dirt behind the target does nothing to kill the animal. The greatest wound channel made by the bullet will kill the animal the fastest. Barnes X takes a back seat to most, Nosler partition is king, and the like do very well.

If you want more killing power move up in bore size .375 or .458
    Cmon now. That is a little far fetched. Are you saying an 06 is just as good as a .300 ultra mag at 400yards? So you are saying that velocity means nothing also?

Barnes x doesn't have much killing power? I am not sure where you hunt, but I don't shoot holes through trees and through the ground to see how well my bullet works. The Barnes TSX is surely one of the finest bullets ever made for hunting. I took my .300 wsm with 180 barnes tsx to Africa with me and my PH (who has grown up hunting in Africa) was so impressed with the killing power and penetration of the Barnes TSX that he only uses them now. Please back up your statements when you say something so far fetched. I have found NO animal that has been shot with the tsx that complained about the "small" hole. No animal has needed a second shot for that matter and I have not recovered a tsx from an animal. They have been complete pass throughs with and entrance and exit wound to bleed out of.

Comparing an 06 to a .300 ultra mag is like trying to compare a tempo to a mustang. AND I DID not say the 06 was a piece of crap, just stating facts that the .300 ultra mag will out perform the 06 hands down.

Loading down the 300RUM, like any large capacity magnum, is not a good idea. Load down too much and you risk a detonation rather than progressive burn.

That being said I did some careful experimentation, and found that accuracy and overall consistency started to suffer at roughly 5% below max. Clearly, the RUMs were designed to be loaded up toward or at max...

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    This wasnt a thread to praise the 30-06 - I was asking for feedback on a PARTICULAR cartridge - I have my own reasonings for my interrest in the .300 RUM - I'm sorry that that doesnt fit in to your own personal views - But if you dont have somthing productive to contribute to this thread other than your own personal opinions - Please, take it elsewhere or start your own thread.

OneLunG,
    Yes I know, I’m telling you why the 300 RUM is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie1 View Post
    OneLunG,
    Yes I know, I’m telling you why the 300 RUM is bad.

Oddly enough, everyone disagrees with you.

I would not hesitate to buy a .300 RUM if I didn't already own a .300 Wtby Mag... The Wtby used to be the .30 cal "velocity king" but it's a close second to the RUM in my opinion.

- Clint

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast