Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: moose rifle?

Default moose rifle?

Wondering when a moose became so hard to kill. Been there when they dropped with a 30-30 with deer bullets, .270 with core lokts, 7mm mag more times than I can count with any cartridge combo on the shelf. To be honest the most shots to down a moose that I have been a shooter or backup on have been with the 30 caliber magnums or bigger with premium bullets. I have been shooting the .338 win mag for 20 plus years and the smaller calibers always do better. My rifle gets the job done and I love it and shoot it very well but it is too much gun for moose IMHO. I am just backup now so I keep it but I have gone away from premium bullets and do better with corelokts on moose and smaller animals. My shots are not usually 1 shot kills but many 30.06 and smaller calibers are. I have always been reading and looking for the next magic bullet and have completely shot rear to front on a moose, with a failsafe, but I have never done as much damage and humane killing as the deer type bullets in smaller calibers. Just throwing my experience out there.
    It is nice to know that there are "ALASKANS" out there, no matter where they live.

Gun and ammo manufactures continue to produce new things so we will all buy their products! I have watched my father who shoots a .270 winchester with 130gr. sierra game kings drop animal after animal that according to many hunting magazines require a cannon to bring down!

Quote Originally Posted by mtncowboy View Post
    Gun and ammo manufactures continue to produce new things so we will all buy their products! I have watched my father who shoots a .270 winchester with 130gr. sierra game kings drop animal after animal that according to many hunting magazines require a cannon to bring down!
    I have dropped a lot of big whitetails with a 90 grain 260. The bullet never came out and the boiler room was nothing but soup. Dropped in there tracks. With that said I just bought a 375 H&H than I plan on taking for grizz and moose. They have their place depending on the critters your after.

A Moose Rifle is what you can afford and feel comfortable shooting. I have used a 30-30 about sorry to say 30 yards away right behind the shoulder double lung dead Moose, I have shot them with a 270 right behind the shoulder double lung from about 70 yards away dead moose, I have shot them with a 30-06 from about 100 yards directly behind the shoulder dead moose, I have shot them with a 300 Mag from about 150 yards away behind the shoulder dead moose and my 338 Win Mag again behind the shoulder in the lungs dead moose. Is what it is!

Regards

RMM

You guys have just ruined a whole year of dreaming and saving for my moose killing rifle, a 340 Weatherby Mag. Now what am I gonna do?

Buy it a Moose Rifle is what you can afford and feel comfortable shooting.

Patty, buy the 340, I love mine.

a $150 sks works just fine as does a $100 mosin nagant....................
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

Remote village natives take down countless moose with .243s. It's all about shot placement.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    Remote village natives take down countless moose with .243s. It's all about shot placement.
    My best friend's wife out in Dillingham takes a moose every year with her .243 lever gun. She feels comfortable with it and it works. Her husband is there with his back-up .270 just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Her husband is there with his back-up .270 just in case.
    Good one...!!!

I had a friend that went after a brownie on Kodiak and his "backup" was a kid with a 257 Roberts.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Good one...!!!

I had a friend that went after a brownie on Kodiak and his "backup" was a kid with a 257 Roberts.....

My backup on Kodiak took a .270

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    My backup on Kodiak took a .270
    Can't say if it's true or not, but years ago I heard that the natives up north would sneak up on polar bears and pop them behind the ear with a 223....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Every moose I've hot was with my 7mm and were all 1 shot kills. Last year I thought I was upgrading to a .300 RUM but that was a mistake. I know it's a great caliber but last year I took my sheep and caribou with it and had to put two rounds in each one. I also tried to take a grizzly but even after hitting it in the boiler room(at least that's where I thought I hit him) it got away. I was shooting barnes TTSX bullets that I loaded. I wasn't too happy so I sold the rifle.

I just bought a lightweight .338 Lapua and we will see how that does. If that doesn't do it I'm getting out the old 7mm again.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Can't say if it's true or not, but years ago I heard that the natives up north would sneak up on polar bears and pop them behind the ear with a 223....
    Actually I think it is the 22 mag that they are most fond of. I know a guy that has shot polar bears with his 22mag. I know that sounds crazy and I didn't believe him at first but then he proved it to me. I was humbled and very impressed. I just wonder how many have gotten away with just a bad headache.

Your moose rifle is the same rifle you take brown/black bears, sheep, goat, blacktails, and every other big ge animal in North America with.

Threads like this one,..are just darn refreshing,...

OP, I'm With Ya,...

we need some balance now and then, against the, "Magnum Cannon Mania,"...
    (wouldn't it be interesting, if somehow, we could see the percentage of, "Total Moose Taken," with calibers less than .30
    in all of Alaskan History ??)
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Going to field this year with my family will be a 308, 7-08, 280ai and maybe a 6.8SPC. I have a couple magnums but I doubt that they will make it out of the safe beyond their annual cleaning and maybe a range day.

I Agree with you guys on shot placement being the absolute in almost every case. I have a 7mm Roy just because it was a good deal for me and I like the range on it. Im not saying I need it as a 243 will probably kill anything you want but I also believe Murphys law and anything that can go wrong will so its nice to have a little extra speed or range to help with distancing errors or when you hit the shoulder even though you wanted to stick it right behind. I feel the 7mm Weatherby is pretty close to my 30-06 in recoil and I like that as well. I did just get a 375 Ruger and had an H&H for a while I really liked. I prefer those for brownies just because I wanted a gun that will punch thru from any angle and if the bullet doesnt expand it still will leave a .375 cal hole vs a smaller hole.

Well I think I might just take my muzzle loader or bow this year and save on those expensive bullets

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast