Thread: winter/spring steelhead

Default winter/spring steelhead

has anyone been out fishing for any spring steelhead recently?

Been considering trying for some Steelies on the KP in the very near future. Anyone catching any? Been many years since I fished Kasilof/Crooked Creek. I'd like to try Anchor River too but I don't see much updated info/INTEL. I still need to check the regs too but it's my understanding this fishery has gone to catch and release only.

Anchor, Deep & Ninilchik are all closed to fishing currently and don't open until Memorial Day Weekend.

Guess I'm completely confused then because I can convince myself the Anchor opens May 18.
    Page 43 of regs.

Quote Originally Posted by cmo1977 View Post
    Anchor, Deep & Ninilchik are all closed to fishing currently and don't open until Memorial Day Weekend.

A friend caught 2 small ones, (around 20") last week down here on the KP.........sorry but I can't tell you where.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    Guess I'm completely confused then because I can convince myself the Anchor opens May 18.
    Page 43 of regs.
    i believe u are correct that Anchor does open on the 18th. This yr Memorial Day falls on the wkend of the 27th and the Anchor usually opens one week earlier than the rest of the KPs lower rivers.
    That being said, I would urge restraint in targeting the steelhead at this time of year. They drop out in the spring after there necessary habits of reproduction. Hopefully they will be allowed to return to the sea, regain their strength and spawn yet another time or two.
    The past few yrs steelie runs have been down from some previous good yrs, much like the king runs.
    And yes, the KP rivers have been c and r for decades now for steel.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Fully understand not wanting to disclose the location. The only major artery currently open would be the Kasilof [Jan 1 - June 30] the way I read the regs. Unfortunately I've deleted my 2012 regs and can't find anyhting but 2013 even when I search for 2012. I know there must be other places to catch steelies or there wouldn't be a limit of 2 per year.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    A friend caught 2 small ones, (around 20") last week down here on the KP.........sorry but I can't tell you where.....

Quote Originally Posted by cmo1977 View Post
    My bad on the date for Anchor, I keep on forgetting about that early weekend. I would guess it might not be very fishable anyways on the 18th.

You might check the EO's for god save the kings.
    Page 43 of regs.

Fully understand not wanting to disclose the location. The only major artery currently open would be the Kasilof [Jan 1 - June 30] the way I read the regs. Unfortunately I've deleted my 2012 regs and can't find anyhting but 2013 even when I search for 2012. I know there must be other places to catch steelies or there wouldn't be a limit of 2 per year.
    Best to not keep Steelies on the KP. They get hammered on pretty hard. There is technically one place you can keep 2 Steelies a year over 20". I wouldn't do it if you have any kind of Soul.
    Piscor Ergo Sum