Thread: River ice

Default River ice

Any ideas on when the big su @ deshka landing will free itself from the ice? I'd like to try and get on the river as soon as possible to see if I cant get lucky and stumble across a bear. I don't have much experience with the river and ice out, I generally don't go out until fishing season. Is there is F&G hotline to call about river ice?

The rate the Big Su looks right now June there was some folks still riding sleds down it yesterday when I drove over
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Check out this link for current pictures of the landing: http://www.deshkalanding.com/ Based on my experience I think it will not be boatable until the 10th of May or so this year. Having said that, rivers can go very quickly with the right weather.

It will be late this year. Saw three snowmachiners here on Alexander Creek that came down from Deshka landing yesterday. We are still going across to town no problem and it is the 25th of April. When the mouth of Alexander goes out it is usually a week before the Sue goes. I'm guessing that we will be pushing our record here at the creek of May 6th before the ice even starts moving here. Don't hold your breath!

Any updates?

As of today, May 2nd everything is locked up tight on the Susitna. All the Geese are hanging out in the few open leads on Alexander. Still crossing the Big Su and going to Point Mac. if you can believe it. I'm thinking the mouth of the Alexander will go out around the 6th or 7th depending on weather which is not supposed to be very good. I'm guessing the Sue wont even start flowing ice until the middle of May now!DSCN1246.jpg