Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving to homer

Default Moving to homer

I will be moving to homer ak and was wondering what kind of hunting opportunities I will have. Both big game and small game and what kind of permit or draws will I need to apply for or what can be bought over the counter?

Also what kind and how is the trapping in that area

thanks!
    josh

Hey josh, big game hunting's kinda been in the crapper here the last couple years.....due to tight regulations....the good news is, it's getting better. By the time you get your residency, it should be pretty sweet, with an open season on black/brown bear and moose all at once. There's a cow moose tag that's very nice to draw, basically a sure thing. Lynx, coyote, and fox in the hills, goats across the bay, and of course, amazing fishing!
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

....and some of the best locally concocted Mead in the State, great folks, good coffee shops, and cafes, and.....oh yeah, cdubbin covered the rest.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Josh88,

Let me start by welcoming you to Alaska. You are gonna love it up here. I assume you are landing in homer because that is where your job is up here. The fishing is very good as mentioned by previous posts. The black bear hunting is also very good, especially if you have a boat and can maneuver around to lightly pressured areas. For most other big game, homer is not an ideal destination. You will quickly realize there are better opportunities for moose, caribou, griz, blacktails, sheep, and birds in other parts of the state. Just plan on being willing to drive or fly quite a ways from your new home in homer and your big game hunting opportunities improve dramatically.

I do agree that the mead in homer is quite good.

Pretty broad spectrum of questions there Josh. I'll try and answer some of them... first off I would check out the Alaska Department of Fish and Game website and look at unit 15C. They will have all the drawing information and seasons and bag limits. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.main
    Small game hunting consists of primarily of varying hare, spruce hen and there is an abundance of pheasant in the area with no limit or closed season because they are considered an invasive species. Waterfowl hunting is pretty good at the head of Katchemak Bay, but be careful of the tides and silt, so go with someone from the area the first time if possible.
    Coyotes and wolves are in good numbers and you can hunt or trap them during the various seasons.
    Big game is moose, black bear, goat and brown bear for the most part. Moose is getting scarce for a legal bull... people do get them but you need to work for them but the harvest tag is free for a resident. Black bears are a bit more common and a resident can get three in this unit. Notice I say resident... you will need to have lived in Alaska for one full year before you can make that claim and hunt in most of these hunts without paying an arm and a leg to do it. Same with fishing...
    Check the regs often because they can change them on a whim with emergency orders and such. Most folks will tell you the same thing that I'll tell you... you need to put in the time when you get here and be respectful and clean up after yourself. Most locals are not going to just hand you their prime spots and advice. Those of us who moved here like you are doing had to go through the same thing or if we were lucky, befriend a local who will show you the ropes.
    I haven't done much trapping, but my friends are pulling in nice lynx this year and a few other critters.
    Keep in mind this is very different country than you are used to and demands respect and skill in order to traverse without mishap. That being said, welcome to Alaska and good luck participating in our bountiful harvest!

Mountaintrekker

I know about being there for a year for being a resident. I was planning on my first year just getting a small game license and exploring and trying to learn the area a little bit.

My reaso for moving up is its been my dream to live in Alaska and I have decided that I need to make it happen. I have settled on homer bc of its on the coast and close to great fishing and the ocean. Also it seems homer doesn't get as much rain as other costal towns or cities. I would like to have good hunting close as well but if I have to drive or fly I can. I do have my pilots license and plan on taking bush flying lessons once I am there.

But if you guys have any other suggestions on places to look into I am more than willing to hear them! I want to be on and close to the coast and ocean, but not have a 150" of rain yearly.

Also how is The freshwater fishing in that area, like any grayling, dollys, char, or lake trout?

Thanks for all the input guys!

Quote Originally Posted by josh88 View Post
    I know about being there for a year for being a resident. I was planning on my first year just getting a small game license and exploring and trying to learn the area a little bit.

My reaso for moving up is its been my dream to live in Alaska and I have decided that I need to make it happen. I have settled on homer bc of its on the coast and close to great fishing and the ocean. Also it seems homer doesn't get as much rain as other costal towns or cities. I would like to have good hunting close as well but if I have to drive or fly I can. I do have my pilots license and plan on taking bush flying lessons once I am there.

!
    Where at in PA? I moved here 3 years ago for the same thing from NE of philly.
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

About an half hour from Erie pa

I've heard people say all sorts of nice things about Homer, but I've never heard it described as being dry. If there's no job waiting for you in Homer, look closely at Glennallen. Better weather, better hunting, and better fishing. Possibly fewer jobs, but that's debatable. Better Thai food too... and fewer tourists.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    I've heard people say all sorts of nice things about Homer, but I've never heard it described as being dry. If there's no job waiting for you in Homer, look closely at Glennallen. Better weather, better hunting, and better fishing. Possibly fewer jobs, but that's debatable. Better Thai food too... and fewer tourists.
    Yeah I heard something about all the Homer charter outfits moving to Glennallen because the fishing's so much better
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by josh88 View Post
    About an half hour from Erie pa
    Nice. I have a buddy up there. He tears up the perch and walleye on the lake. Welcome to Alaska. Enjoy!
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

Hoomer is beautiful and wet about 11 out of 12 months a year. Lol coastal life is always wet, foggy, and wonderful. Work down on the kp can be limited. I would definitely come with a job or not come at all. The state is big and I mean really big. It's more like 4 states in one so plan on traveling for activities. Moose by Fairbanks caribou by Paxton and bear, Well they are everywhere. I am learning that almost all h2o in the state has fish. So read some regs and put a line in the h2o. I will say I'm newish to AK and love this place.

I know homer gets some rain but from what I've researched not as much as some places. And does he run charters on Erie?

What kind if fishing/hunting available in glennallen?

Glennallen has it all but you will work for it. Moose bear black and brown caribou is closer (ram and goat idk about). I just took a nice black bear on a drive down the Glenn a few days ago. Don't tell anyone they are up. Lol fishing is good short drive to Valdez then a boat ride to amazing fishing and black tail dear.

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Yeah I heard something about all the Homer charter outfits moving to Glennallen because the fishing's so much better
    i sprayed my beer on the keyboard....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

yeah, those charters are going to get rich, putting folks on tazlina lake for halibut, and mendeltna creek for salmon shark. word has it, that guys are slaying the shrimp in gulkana river.....right off the highway.

If you want coastal, you're going to get gray and dreary weather much of the time even if it's not measuring the amount of rainfall that Southeast gets. The short version of the "where should I move" answers is that you have to prioritize and thereafter be willing to drive. If you want saltwater fishing with some freshwater thrown in, Homer or other coastal locales are great. If you want to hunt big game other than black bear, look inland and north. If you want freshwater fishing with a drive to the coast for saltwater action, the same is true. Homer, Kodiak, Cooper Landing, Talkeetna, and many other places would be awesome to live in, but each has it's drawbacks. As for Glennallen, it's a great place to get fuel and Thai Food. That's about it, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    yeah, those charters are going to get rich, putting folks on tazlina lake for halibut, and mendeltna creek for salmon shark. word has it, that guys are slaying the shrimp in gulkana river.....right off the highway.
    Ok, so there's no substitute for shrimp or lings. I'd argue the case for a pike over a halibut any day though. Obviously Thai food is the biggest draw to Glennallen.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    I'd argue the case for a pike over a halibut any day though..
    Not when it comes to eatin' them.........imo.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I'm going to piggy back off of cddubins post in that moose hunting is kind of in the crapper, but I'm not as optimistic on the future. The regs were restrictive for a reason, there are not as many good bulls as there once was. DM549 cow draw pretty much is a sure thing though, as long as you are familiar with the private property. The moose pop. Is improving due to the current restrictions, but as soon as they are relaxed, I envision the droves coming back. As a former western PA resident, I remember hundreds of orange vests gathered in parking areas around state reserves. The Homer area is much like that during normal (less restrictive) moose regs.

Couple years ago, I was living almost full time in my cabin NE of Homer. I went out for my daily walk at roughly 0600. About 1/2 mile down my normal trail, I literally ran into a traffic jam of ATV's. I quickly remembered that it was first day of moose season. Keep in mind this is a 25 mile drive from Homer, and 5 miles from the road. The past few years, I haven't even bothered hunting, since the pressure is so high around here.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast