Thread: advice on an 870 .12ga

Default advice on an 870 .12ga

Having trouble with my old rem 870. I suspect that the fore-end arms are out of alignment (bent or worn) or there is something wrong with my ejector. When I rack the slide, the action jams at the point where it wants to eject spent hull and cycle a new round into the chamber. The result is much resistance and a little nip being taken out of the lip on the brass. I have stripped and reassembled the shotgun after a thoruogh cleaning but the problem persists. This problem is not on every round but frequent enough to cause a total lack of faith in the weapon's reliability..... a bad thing as this is my bear defense gun. Thanks in advance to anyone with advice on a solution to this problem.

dodger
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

Make sure the forend is not loose on the tube. The forend nut should be tight. The action bars are probably ok. To check them, remove the trigger housing, bolt and carrier and install them alone and check for binds. Possibly a burr at the rear of the chamber. If the ejector and ejector spring are intact, then they are ok. If I had your gun in my hands, I could tell you what it is in a minute or two. Over the net, this may take some guesswork.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by akdodger View Post
    Having trouble with my old rem 870. I suspect that the fore-end arms are out of alignment (bent or worn) or there is something wrong with my ejector. When I rack the slide, the action jams at the point where it wants to eject spent hull and cycle a new round into the chamber. The result is much resistance and a little nip being taken out of the lip on the brass. I have stripped and reassembled the shotgun after a thoruogh cleaning but the problem persists. This problem is not on every round but frequent enough to cause a total lack of faith in the weapon's reliability..... a bad thing as this is my bear defense gun. Thanks in advance to anyone with advice on a solution to this problem.

dodger
    I had the same type issue with a Harrington and Richardson Pardner shotgun which is a chinese clone of the 870. Anyhow it ended up being that the shell latches that are staked into the receiver were not properly shaped and needed to be replaced. I sold it after I got it fixed just because it made me angry that a new gun was goofed up. Anyhow I have 2 older 870 wingmasters now that run great. Check your shell latches on each side as they are what controls the rounds coming out of the mag tube and what stops the next round so it only feeds one at a time. If they dont sit right when the handle is pumped and the foreend tube assembly arms hit the latches to acutate them it will jam. Mine kept trying to go behind the shell latch and would cause a partial ejection but would jam up on me and sometimes it worked fine sometimes it wouldnt. Usually its the latches or the ejector causing problems. The ejector can be swapped as well as the extractor with no issues. the shell latches however are staked in place and you will need a special tool or some home made tool to be able to stake them back in if thats the problem. I would talk to Alaska custom firearms and have Steve fix it for you. Really any decent Smith with some pump gun knowledge should be able to help you. Sorry for the long winded post and I hope it helps.

Thanks for the replies gunbugs and yota. I spent the morning going over my ailing 870 and tried everything suggested to no avail. I guess its time to consult a professional.

Thanks again,

dodger
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite