Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Su water level

Default Big Su water level

Can anyone tell me what the rivers up in the valley are looking like? I know the persistent winter is keeping a lot of snow up on the mountains and water out of the drainage's. I just want to get my boat out there and start playing.

Thanks for any info.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

call the landings, deshak, williow island resort, susitna landing, montana creek camp ground. You can search all of them on the web. Last I was told the creeks should start opening up this week to weekend.

Big Sue is still solid below the Deshka
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the rivers up in the valley are looking like? I know the persistent winter is keeping a lot of snow up on the mountains and water out of the drainage's. I just want to get my boat out there and start playing.

Thanks for any info.
    The water level is about 3 feet below the snow level..LOL.

There are pools and some small channel sections of open water, but mainly, it is locked up tight...

It will be a late breakup this year. Still solid ice and still traveling by snowmachine with no problem. Don't hold your breath it will be awhile yet. I am guessing closer to the middle of May before the ice is gone this year!

not at all what I had hoped to hear but I kind of expected it. Looks like summer is gonna be very short if at all this year.

not at all what I had hoped to hear but I kind of expected it. Looks like summer is gonna be very short if at all this year.
    Cheer up, it is melting I can finally see dead grass in my yard (though still half of the yard still under snow) It will melt but I think its going to be a late break up. Its my fault, I bought a canoe in March. I should have known I was cursing myself LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by AllAlaskan View Post
    Cheer up, it is melting I can finally see dead grass in my yard (though still half of the yard still under snow) It will melt but I think its going to be a late break up. Its my fault, I bought a canoe in March. I should have known I was cursing myself LOL!
    Its all gone in my yard thats why I had a little hope. Im sure I didnt help either. I spent the entire winter completely refurbing my boat. New seat motor, paint, floorboards, re-done trailer, built a tool box. Im dying to get it on the water and that is why winter wont let go.

And here this whole time I thought it was me, now that I know who to blame……..thanks guys!!!!!!! LOL I actually don't remember if there was open water on the Su by this time last year or not, but I think it is around the same time???? Usually about the time the Kenai closes we start fishing up north. So I guess maybe it will be a little later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    And here this whole time I thought it was me, now that I know who to blame……..thanks guys!!!!!!! LOL I actually don't remember if there was open water on the Su by this time last year or not, but I think it is around the same time???? Usually about the time the Kenai closes we start fishing up north. So I guess maybe it will be a little later this year.
    I was able run a boat on the Su by the 4th of May last year. Of course that is down here at Alexander which is only six miles from the mouth of the Su. We are still driving snowmachines on the Su. Going to go across for some more break up groceries today. This is the latest I have ever run across to the trail head by far. The latest the mouth of the creek has broken up is May 6th since we have been here, (25 years). It will rival or beat that this year. Usually the Su goes out a week later so could be a looooooong wait!

IMG_4830.jpgDSCN1181.jpg The first pic is April 26th last year. The second pic is April 26th this year! I wont even show you the pic of the boat in ice free water last year and still 2 foot of snow this year, don't want to make you even more depressed!

Ya I cant remember a time I didnt have my boat on the Big-Su by the ten of May I dont think it will happen this year man that sucks Alexander good photos
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

In my yard at the house which is 7 mile wasilla fishhook you cant see any grass I still have two feet of snow

This is depressing

1 to 3 feet of snow in yard, in Wasilla. Except for the part that was a lake a hundred feet across 3 days ago - we just about got the canoe out to paddle around the yard in. Wonderful sun lately though eh? Gotta love that.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    1 to 3 feet of snow in yard, in Wasilla. Except for the part that was a lake a hundred feet across 3 days ago - we just about got the canoe out to paddle around the yard in. Wonderful sun lately though eh? Gotta love that.
    You still have that much in Wasilla?! I only have about 6-8 inches here in Biglake unless counting snow burms from snow plows. Shoot, half my yard is already melted in front with patches of bare ground showing in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAlaskan View Post
    You still have that much in Wasilla?! I only have about 6-8 inches here in Biglake unless counting snow burms from snow plows. Shoot, half my yard is already melted in front with patches of bare ground showing in the back.
    I do. Though my 3 foot deep section is a problem of my own making. I plowed the snow to the wrong spot this year and now have this large section of 3 feet deep snow blocking in my toys (camper, trailers, boat,......)

Also I'm a few miles north of the Parks; we often get 2-3 times what Wasilla proper gets.

DSCN1191.jpgDSCN1194.jpgMade it across three channels of the Susitna and the Lil Su and couldn't even make it a hundred yards down the road at the end of the trail head! Not a town driver by any means. The second pic is of the East fork of the Susitna below Flathorn Lake. as you can see it is April 28th and the ice is just now receding from the bank. Alexander has opened up some what in the last day and the swans have showed up so there is some hope!

I wish it would go faster its been a long winter LOL

This is depressing

Im planning on camping out this upcoming weekend at sheep creek slough. I can only hope there is some open leads at the mouth, but I'm prepared to admit defeat.....

Release Lake Trout

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast