Thread: Mini Airboats/Ultra Lights in Alaska

Default Mini Airboats/Ultra Lights in Alaska

Are there many mini airboats/ultra lights in Alaska? I own a 12x7 with a 65HP Rotax, but rarely see anything smaller than 20' on the river.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    Are there many mini airboats/ultra lights in Alaska? I own a 12x7 with a 65HP Rotax, but rarely see anything smaller than 20' on the river.
    Mines 15' but not a mini, I know Lenord has built some mini's with rotex power. I think most airboaters up here want to be able to haul a moose. Bud
    Wasilla

Agreed. I'm in the same boat but not ready to let go of my Sport Jon or other toys just yet.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Hey AlaskanOutdoorsman....post a pic of your boat if you can.

My Dad owned one of Alaska Airboat's ultra lights for a long time. He repowered with 912 rotax which made the boat come alive. I put hundreds of hours on that boat over the course of 10 years, definitely a fun little boat.

Leonard and Randy are using Ecotex motors in their ultralights these days.

Here is an 8 footer in Fairbanks...

http://eielson.baseforsale.com/?cont...d=145880&day=1

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Here is an 8 footer in Fairbanks...

Thats kinda a neat little sled to duck hunt out of if it has enough power to go anyplace. biggest problem would be limited to one person. Bud

http://eielson.baseforsale.com/?cont...d=145880&day=1
    ##################################################
    Wasilla

Wow... I'm not sure if I feel better or worse after seeing that pic! The photo up loader won't work again so here's a link: http://tinyurl.com/a72axsm

Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    I have an ultralight Leonard and Randy built, currently for sale. Private message to me your email address and I will email to you pictures. I can't seem to work with photo bucket.

It is 3-years old, 12' long 6' wide w/a 110 hp 2-cycle Hirth ultralight aircraft engine, has the state of the art bottom covering. These boats are made of riveted and ribbed aircraft aluminum. It is the super cub of airboats. Gross pay load is 1000 #.

With 2 people and 22 gallons of gas it will do 22 to 26 mph at 4200 to 4600 rpm with a 3-blade prop, average 5-gallons an hour (4200 rpm) with this load and do just about 4 hours of running time (I never run it too low). The boat has 90 hours on it. I bought it new, it was the prototype.

Randy and Leonard are using the inline vortex marine engines right now (ecotec?) (probably so) and also offer the Hirth. Several boats have the Hirth and they work great. They tried the new rotax but it just wouldn't lineup or reduce right and it cost a lot, they bagged the rotax and tried the vortec.

Mine is a true ultralight. Size to weight it is the most powerful. But to get more HP and not deal with 90:1 mixing of oil and gas Alaska Airboats decided to also make the same size ultralight boat with the inline 4-cylinder engine. The power plant is quite abit heavier but also has more power. It runs like a champ so far. It is pretty quite too, like mine.

My boat is a dream to operate. My wife loves driving it. Unlike the Sport Jon, when you want to drive over an obstruction like a tree or beaver dam or go through a marsh (cant do that in a Sport), you slow down and drive over it under control, rather than speed up and fly over it out of control. Big difference.

My boat works great for hunting. If I don't sell it this year I hope to take it up the Ivishak or Ribdon for caribou. I bought it for guiding but due to other business and job opportunities I am not guiding on my own hook at this time. Thus, the boat is for sale. Contact me by email and I will deal in person.
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!