Thread: When do you put your plants in the greenhouse?

Default When do you put your plants in the greenhouse?

Do you use heat? Do you bring the plants in? What sort of plants do you take out first? My tomatoes need more room. It seems like I should be able to take the pansies and snapdragons to the greenhouse now. Btw this is my first spring with a greenhouse so bear with me. Also, I am a bit colder than the anchorage/valley area. My forecast is 45 high and 31 low for the week. It is 70 in the greenhouse now and it's noon. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon3464 View Post
    Do you use heat? Do you bring the plants in? What sort of plants do you take out first? My tomatoes need more room. It seems like I should be able to take the pansies and snapdragons to the greenhouse now. Btw this is my first spring with a greenhouse so bear with me. Also, I am a bit colder than the anchorage/valley area. My forecast is 45 high and 31 low for the week. It is 70 in the greenhouse now and it's noon. Thanks!
    I don't have any heat in my GH.
    Last year I moved some tomato plants into the GH the last week of April, but this year It will be in May before I risk any tomatoes.
    It has registered 36 in my GH the last 2 nights now, but that's due to the cloud cover we've had.

What do you think about the pansies and snapdragons? I put some of them out today. The low should be 31 tonight. They will be inside the greenhouse on a heat mat on a timer that is inside a smaller plastic greenhouse to trap the heat. They are to big for the humidity dome on a regular flat so I thought a mini pop up greenhouse might provide more frost protection. Plus, they are cool season plants, unlike my tomatoes which will probably not go into the greenhouse until mid to late May. Peppers won't go in until June unless the weather cooperates. It seems like cold tolerant flowers like snapdragon and pansies should do well in a greenhouse right now even without the heat mat, but....well, I guess we will see!

Default hardy plants

Both types of flowers are pretty tuff and in the fall will be living under a light snow sometimes. Watch out though, one night can ruin everything if a front moves through from the north. You would be better off to take them in at night where it's warmer, no plant actually likes cold weather, well most anyway I had better clear that statement up ith wiggle room. lol May 15th used to be my goal to for overnight in the GH but sometimes it still gets darn cold at night, but it seemed cold all summer last year, as far as that goes.

I put 4 more tomatoes in the heated soil boxes yesterday.
    Covering at night. Looking good so far. This AM soil was 65.
    A midnight power failure might be deadly though.

No cuc seeds sprouted yet. May dig in & see if they are getting close.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    I put 4 more tomatoes in the heated soil boxes yesterday.
    Covering at night. Looking good so far. This AM soil was 65.
    A midnight power failure might be deadly though.

No cuc seeds sprouted yet. May dig in & see if they are getting close.
    my hi-low thermometer said it got down to 7 in my GH last night.. I have one tom plant in the GH
    and I covered it with a bucket just before I went to bed and that saved it.

I would really like to move some of the starts out of the south window and into the GH
    pretty soon.

My greenhouse was at 26 last night. The flowers are doing great. I gave away 7 tomato plants today to make room for the ones I have left. It seems like quality is more important than quantity with tomato starts so I am trying to give them lots of light and room to grow. I think I may move some linaria and calendula out next if the weather here holds.

My flowers are still doing great. I now have snapdragon, pansy, linaria, calendula, larkspur, and, as an experiment, zinnia in the unheated greenhouse. I am still not moving any tomatoes out but they are flowering and, in the case of the Tiny Tim, setting fruit and the more annual flowers I put in the greenhouse the more room I have inside for the tomatoes and peppers. I feel like the weather has been very cooperative and my lowest temperature has been 26 at night. Tonight is supposed to be a low of 34 and I am interested to see if the zinnia make it. They are the only thing out there that is not known for being cold hardy.