Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KRSA, Ricky Gease op-ed, you have got to be kidding me!

Default KRSA, Ricky Gease op-ed, you have got to be kidding me!

This really deserves its own thread. From the article:
    http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...capement-goals

Because history is repeating itself, and immediate gains in a commercial fishery are being put ahead of the fish. Despite conservation bells ringing out across Alaska for kings, some want you to believe everything is fine on the Kenai and there is no cause for concern for these majestic fish. But when basic principles of fishery management are ignored and violated, it is a significant setback for king conservation and a true cause for alarm. It cries out that people take notice, demand accountability and call for action.

Kenai River Sportfishing Association (KRSA) is doing just that. Our recent activities to educate the public and legislators about former Alaska Board of Fisheries (BOF) member Vince Webster were fact-based and truthful, centered and focused on the conservation of Kenai kings. Within days, a KRSA call to action garnered more than 10,000 Facebook views.

The public listened and many contacted their legislators asking that Webster not be confirmed. KRSA’s well-reasoned and researched stance resonated among sport and personal use anglers who fish Upper Cook Inlet (UCI), and they let their voices be heard unlike any time before. Many of these legislators took notice and listened to their constituents. On a close vote, Webster was not confirmed.

Our concerns regarding Webster’s confirmation spotlighted the fact that basic principles of fishery management were not being followed. These included:

• His failed leadership to provide adequate board oversight regarding an alarmingly low new interim escapement goal for Kenai kings, which drops the minimum number of king spawners needed by one third to 12,000 (using Didson sonar counts);
    • His advocacy to set an optimum escapement goal even lower than the new minimum so commercial set netters could keep on fishing; and
    • His failed attempt to shift the burden of king conservation solely onto one user group, the personal use fishery, when no other group faced restrictions. These and other similar past actions added to the foundation and argument that he should no longer serve.

I honestly can't believe that Gease/KRSA is doubling down on the outright disingenuous misinformation they spread about Vince Webster. Never before have I seen such blatant misrepresentation of facts. I can only think that KRSA was taking flak for what happened, and that is why they are now doubling down on the lies. If you tell a lie over and over and over again, I guess it eventually becomes the truth.

I don't normally go this far, but Ricky and KRSA, SHAME ON YOU!

Wow.

As someone who holds both a Guide and a Commercial Crewman license, it's embarrassing to think bottom feeders like that are allowed to speak for so many. The saddest part is, most of the masses are too ill informed to see through G(r)ease(y)'s huge pile of bovine excrement.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Supporting Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    . . . I honestly can't believe that Gease/KRSA is doubling down on the outright disingenuous misinformation they spread about Vince Webster. Never before have I seen such blatant misrepresentation of facts. I can only think that KRSA was taking flak for what happened, and that is why they are now doubling down on the lies. If you tell a lie over and over and over again, I guess it eventually becomes the truth.

I don't normally go this far, but Ricky and KRSA, SHAME ON YOU!

I'd be interested in seeing a point-by-point, factual refutation of KRSA's accusations against Webster.

Ricky once accused Soldotna of being an unsafe place for a BoF meeting and had to crawdad on that bit of calumny. If those who, as they assert, know differently would show KRSA's charges against Webster for the BS they're claimed to be, maybe KRSA would backwater on that too?

It's easy to just claim KRSA's charges against Mr. Webster are lies. Explain, with proof, why such charges are lies.

Been awhile since I weighed in on anything. The politics of fish management isn't a pretty thing is it. Us against them never works. Maybe we need to change one basic thing. You can't participate unless you are willing to bring to the table what your special interest can change or sacrifice to improve the situation. Finger pointing may win arguments but it won't win wars. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by gotfish? View Post
    Been awhile since I weighed in on anything. The politics of fish management isn't a pretty thing is it. Us against them never works. Maybe we need to change one basic thing. You can't participate unless you are willing to bring to the table what your special interest can change or sacrifice to improve the situation. Finger pointing may win arguments but it won't win wars. Cheers
    The saddest thing would be, that if things keep going the way they are, there won't be any fish left to fight over.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Supporting Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    The saddest thing is, that if things keep going the way they are, there won't be any fish left to fight over.

Not too much chance of that, Tearbear, there always has been and likely always will be lots of fish—reds, pinks, silvers, rainbows, etc.

There just may not be enough kings, especially whopper hogs and she-pigs, to satisfy the seemingly insatiable appetite of the in-river, sport and commercial fishery.

Of course, that's nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Of course...I was referring to the King salmon runs specifically in my post. Given some more time with mismanagement, overfishing, and polluting the resource, and other salmon species may follow the fate of the kings.
    "Grin and Bear It"

The legislators who led the attack now admit the whole thing was a "hatchet job" led by KRSA. Read it for yourself:

Quote from the article:

"Senator Lesil McGuire, an Anchorage Republican and ally of the charter guide industry, attacked Webster at an April Fool's Day hearing. Claiming the Senate Resources Committee had received 'quite a bit of correspondence' on his appointment, McGuire suggested Webster alone was responsible for the escapement cut. No other member of the committee received the e-mails, and McGuire, after the hearing, refused to release copies. Sound like a hatchet job?"

"OK, it's a hatchet job. I've got bigger fish to fry." McGuire said when I asked her for an interview.

So, it was a last minute campaign led by KRSA, which the governor has publicly stated was based on misinformation. Now the legislators promoting the effort to block him refer to it as a 'hatchet job' (their words), and it's been revealed that much of the discussion was based on correspondence that never even happened. KRSA cites this as an example of the public process at work.

So, decide for yourself, was this a 'Hatchet Job', or was this the public process at work?

Article: Inlet Wars Flare up in Juneau for Fish Board Confirmation
    By: Bob Tkacz, Pacific Fishing, May, 2012

It's sad that these guys keep talking about the data that we don't have, but they fail to acknowledge the data that we do have. We have no data from the Kenai in the bottom of the escapement goal range - that's true. But we have plenty of data in the mid-upper escapement goal range and beyond. While past sonar counts can't be trusted, reliable indepent sources like Sport/Comm CPUE and total harvest were also used to reconstruct past escapements. What it shows is that these fish are density dependant. Large escapements don't bring large returns - ADFG has stated that past large escapements are very likely part of the reason for current low returns. NOT ONCE has KRSA acknowledged this. In fact, they are pushing for a management strategy that encourages large future escapements. The management plan they are pushing is to restrict all fisheries when escapements are predicted to be lower than the midpoint of the goal, and only liberalize the inriver fishery in the event that escapements are predicted to exceed the goal. Yeah Ricky, fish come first.

Also sad that his article implies ADFG is favoring Comm fish with their new escapement goal, like the broke setnetters paid off ADFG or something. Actually, it's the sport fish division of ADFG that has a conflict of interest financially speaking. Comm fish division is not funded dependant on the success of commercial industry. BUT... ADFG sport fish division is directly funded from sport fishing license sales!!! Oh the irony!

I'm having a hard time understanding why a nonprofit organization 'dedicated to ensuring the sustainability' of our resource would be campaigning for a strategy that would seek to allocate even more fish to an already overcrowded and polluted river. Why are they focusing on lying and misrepresenting the facts and ADFG's science when we have so many signs that the environmental health of our river is in peril? There's no reason to think that the Kings won't bounce back, so long as we don't destroy their nursery. Has anyone heard them express concern over issues like the pollution that the PU fishery is creating, or the fact that the Kenai exceeds EPA standards for Turbidity? If their mission was as they state, wouldn't they be leading the charge on these issues? Shouldn't their six figure earning ED be writing articles about how it's unrealistic to think that we can allow unrestricted growth of commercial industry and powerboat traffic on a relatively small and incredibly special river without risking serious environmental damage? Will the Kings really be better off if we ignore these issues and destroy the setnetters instead?

Supporting Member

Question What now . . ?

". . immediate gains in a commercial fishery are being put ahead of [Kenai kings]. . . Webster's . . failed leadership to provide adequate board oversight . . his advocacy to set an . . escapement goal even lower . . so that commercial set netters could keep on fishing . . and his failed attempt to shift the burden of [Kenai] king conservation solely onto . . the personal use fishery. ADF&G . . rushed a new . . escapement goal for Kenai kings at a strikingly low . . level . . the motivation . . seems simply to reduce the likelihood that . . the commercial set net fishery would face restriction this year."

—Ricky Gease/KRSA, Peninsula Clarion, Voices of the Peninsula, 4/25/13, (emphasis added)

Is KRSA now claiming collusion on the part of ADF&G and the Board of Fisheries to put Kenai kings in jeopardy solely for the benefit of the East Side set-net, sockeye fishery?

Not too much chance of that, Tearbear, there always has been and likely always will be lots of fish—reds, pinks, silvers, rainbows, etc.

There just may not be enough kings, especially whopper hogs and she-pigs, to satisfy the seemingly insatiable appetite of the in-river, sport and commercial fishery.

Really, there are lots of fish?? Silvers and Reds,I guess you have never fished in the mat-su. Littte Su have missed its Coho EG 4 of the past years and sockeye are a stock of concern. Care to share your insight on the Lots of fish statement for Mat Su residents??

Supporting Member

Thumbs down Misdirected sarcasm . . .

Quote Originally Posted by SkwentnaMan View Post
    Really, there are lots of fish?? Silvers and Reds,I guess you have never fished in the mat-su. Littte Su have missed its Coho EG 4 of the past years and sockeye are a stock of concern. Care to share your insight on the Lots of fish statement for Mat Su residents??

Sarcasm to the contrary, my remarks were directed at the Kenai fishery, nothing more.

None of this is any of my business, but it wouldn't be the first time I stick my nose where it doesn't belong.

In my view, it's rather short-sighted of KRSA to take the actions they did. They have zero authority to nominate the next BoF commissioner to fill Mr. Webster's now vacant seat. That's the Gov's job. Given that the Gov wasn't happy with the "public process", he might be even more inclined to nominate someone who is considerably farther from KRSA's agenda than Mr. Webster (who didn't appear to me to be all that radical). And the Legislature may be inclined to ignore KRSA if they object to the future nominee. So the entire episode may backfire.

Even worse, it seems that KRSA spent their political chips on eliminating Mr. Webster. In my view, that's a really bad political choice. Most organizations would choose to use their political chips supporting a nominee who supports their views rather than using them to ensure the rejection of a sitting commissioner, based on questionable motives.

If I were to guess, it appears that KRSA doesn't have any political chips to play with either the Gov or the Legislature on the next BoF nominee. So if the next nominee is farther from the KRSA agenda than Mr. Webster, and if I were a KRSA member (which I'm not), I would be asking some really tough questions on the political strategy by KRSA. Or lack thereof.

The other shoe will drop when the Gov nominates the next potential BoF commissioner.

Sarcasm to the contrary, my remarks were directed at the Kenai fishery, nothing more.
    Well I guess if the other fish species are fine on the Kenai , who cares about any fish bound north from their.

Well I guess if the other fish species are fine on the Kenai , who cares about any fish bound north from their.
    I do...yet this thread is about Kenai salmon, might want to start a different thread for the Mat-Su salmon, and the lack of returning fish.
    "Grin and Bear It"

I do...yet this thread is about Kenai salmon, might want to start a different thread for the Mat-Su salmon, and the lack of returning fish.
    The point that I'm trying to make is that management plans for Kenai bound fish effect Mat-su fish. Like last year the ESSN were restrictied but the drifters fished more. Dont you think that might of had an impact on Northern bound salmon? Like maybe Coho and sockeye.

The point that I'm trying to make is that management plans for Kenai bound fish effect Mat-su fish. Like last year the ESSN were restrictied but the drifters fished more. Dont you think that might of had an impact on Northern bound salmon? Like maybe Coho and sockeye.
    Yes, I'm sure all the species of salmon returns in the valley rivers are effected...I won't be fishing for kings this year, as I didn't last year, every fish that escapes the nets & lines to spawn, will be a benefit to future returns.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Supporting Member

Wink Strategy . . . . or lack thereof . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Cohoangler View Post
    None of this is any of my business, but it wouldn't be the first time I stick my nose where it doesn't belong.

In my view, it's rather short-sighted of KRSA to take the actions they did. They have zero authority to nominate the next BoF commissioner to fill Mr. Webster's now vacant seat. That's the Gov's job. Given that the Gov wasn't happy with the "public process", he might be even more inclined to nominate someone who is considerably farther from KRSA's agenda than Mr. Webster (who didn't appear to me to be all that radical). And the Legislature may be inclined to ignore KRSA if they object to the future nominee. So the entire episode may backfire.

Even worse, it seems that KRSA spent their political chips on eliminating Mr. Webster. In my view, that's a really bad political choice. Most organizations would choose to use their political chips supporting a nominee who supports their views rather than using them to ensure the rejection of a sitting commissioner, based on questionable motives.

If I were to guess, it appears that KRSA doesn't have any political chips to play with either the Gov or the Legislature on the next BoF nominee. So if the next nominee is farther from the KRSA agenda than Mr. Webster, and if I were a KRSA member (which I'm not), I would be asking some really tough questions on the political strategy by KRSA. Or lack thereof.

The other shoe will drop when the Gov nominates the next potential BoF commissioner.

Wow . . very good point. It will be fun, with the above commentary in mind, to see where this goes from here.

What fun . . .

Yes, I'm sure all the species of salmon returns in the valley rivers are effected...I won't be fishing for kings this year, as I didn't last year, every fish that escapes the nets & lines to spawn, will be a benefit to future returns.

I agree with you. ADFGs goal is to cut sport king harvest this year buy 80% but I still think the burden should be shared by all users of the resource. Are the Northern district comm. king guys going to see the same cut? I dont know, has comm. fish came out with their plan for this summer?

I'd be interested in seeing a point-by-point, factual refutation of KRSA's accusations against Webster.
    It's easy to just claim KRSA's charges against Mr. Webster are lies. Explain, with proof, why such charges are lies.
    Crickets...

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast