Thread: Trim tab woes

Default Trim tab woes

I just ordered another electric actuator from Lenco Marine for my trim tabs. I replaced the port side one two years ago. It was under the 5 year warranty. The starboard one is now past the 5 year mark and is costing me $184.00 plus shipping. If I had a Bennett hydraulic set up it would have been $64.00 for an actuator. So when I get rich and get a bigger boat then this 26' Hewescraft Ak. Sea Runner I will go with hydraulic trim tabs. Anyone else think hydraulic is better?

Default Hydraulic over electric

I installed hyd.tabs on my Almar in 1986 and have not had a problem since. Seems to me that in just about any application that I can think of, hydraulic systems are usually stronger and longer lasting than the electric competition.

Default Elec Trim Tabs

I was thinking of getting some for my boat. Who else has had problems with the elec.? Shoudl I stay away from them? Looks like they will run around $400 or so.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

I have bennet tabs on my boat. They are old and out of warrenty, one piston started to leak. I called bennet tech support and they sent me two complete rebuild kits free!!! of charge and I had them in less than a week. I am very impressed with them and will give them nothing but a good word. Hydrolic is a simple system, and easy to maintain.

Default Trim Tabs

Never had electric ones, the Bennets hadraulic ones I have, always work great. In my experience electrical componets and salt water don't mix.

Default Trim Tabs

My Hewescraft came with the electric trim tabs. If I had a boat with out them and had room for the hydraulic pump I would go with the Bennett trim tabs. I have only heard good things about Bennett. My experience with the electric ones is not that good.

Default Had Lenco electrics on my HewesCraft

for 10 years w/o a problem.