Thread: New mooring buoy (kind of) in Bettles Bay

Default New mooring buoy (kind of) in Bettles Bay

We anchored in Bettles Bay this weekend with a couple of other boats that we did not know. There was still a pretty good size sheet of ice in there, so that limited space somewhat. Adding to the annoyance was that there was a blue buoy in the middle tied to an old rope. It was more of an old fender than a buoy. My guess is that someone dropped something in there and used it to tie up to. What is the proper thing to do about this? It really complicated anchoring since you have to worry about tangling with this or getting it wrapped in the prop overnight since it does not move like a boat does. Should I just cut this off, or report it to someone? I would never attach to something like this since I have no idea what is on the bottom of it or how it will hold.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I would just leave it alone. It might make anchoring there more difficult for you, but it isn't yours so don't touch it.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I wonder if it could be someones temp anchor they use while they are out pulling pots or looking for a bear. If it's there for the weekend is one thing, but all summer is another and I think it should be gone.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

It had a rope on it that had dirt and marine growth on it. My guess was that it was put in last fall and survived the winter. I brought up this specific one as mainly a topic for discussion to see what others thought about these home made mooring buoys.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Personal moorings are illegal, I believe. At least if they are meant to be permanent. I don't know about temporary ones. Either way, I don't like them because in my opinion it's kind of like someone putting an orange cone in their favorite parking spot and making it so that nobody except themselves can use it whenever they want. If I were you, I would just report it to F&G or whoever the appropriate entity should be. I'm guessing that someone put it out last year and never got a chance to go back and retrieve it.

Just curious.. Is this in Bettles Bay Lagoon, or in Bettles Bay proper? The back lagoon is so shallow, I can't imagine why anyone would bother dropping a mooring when it's so easy to put down the hook.

In terms of the ethics of removing someone else's float or line, I come down on the side of Leave It Be unless it's a direct danger or serious inconvenience to other boaters (i.e. dropping a "marker ball" in the middle of the Bettles Bay Lagoon channel!)
    "Money may not buy you happiness, but it will buy you a big enough boat that you can get close enough for a look."

It is back in the lagoon. Right in the 40ft area where you would want to anchor.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Hmm. It wasn't there in January unless it was buried under the ice that was there. Me and AKLUVR95 anchored up there for the day. Half the lagoon was iced over but never saw a bouy there. But what a beautiful place.

27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

It could be somebody's gear stored for the winter. Back when there was a commercial shrimp pot fishery in PWS, I ran into a number of coves where the commercial guys had dropped their pots, behind Mink Island was one. Just stay clear of it until they come back and get it IMO.

So I wonder if its ok for somebody to just stop along the road and store their stuff for the winter. Makes me wonder why a fisherman should be able to store his stuff in a public cove. Just a thought.

Since Bettles Bay is a State Marine Park, DNR has jurisdiction. I don't know if this applies, but:

11 AAC 12.235. Anchoring and mooring
    (a) A person may not anchor or moor a boat or floating structure on saltwater in a state park for more than 30 days per calendar year, except as authorized by the director under this section, 11 AAC 18.010, or as otherwise provided in 11 AAC 20. If the director determines that an anchorage or moorage may be damaged or is subject to unusual demand, the director may limit anchoring or mooring in that area to a period 30 days or less per year as necessary to address those situations. The division shall post signs and notices of a time limit of less than 30 days at local harbors, boat launches, and on nearby shores.
    (b) A person may not anchor or moor a boat or floating structure on saltwater in a state park where a sign prohibits such use.
    (c) A person may not leave an anchored or moored boat or floating structure unattended on saltwater in a state park for more than 72 hours unless the person is primarily engaged in recreational activities on a daily basis within the state park or on public land adjacent to the state park where the boat or floating structure is anchored or moored. Unless advance arrangements are made with a state park officer, a boat or floating structure left unattended at anchor or moored to a buoy or shore in a state park for more than 72 hours may be impounded by a state park officer if the officer determines the owner is not engaged in recreational activities in a state park or on public land adjacent to a state

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf1 View Post
    Since Bettles Bay is a State Marine Park, DNR has jurisdiction. I don't know if this applies, but:

11 AAC 12.235. Anchoring and mooring
    (a) A person may not anchor or moor a boat or floating structure on saltwater in a state park for more than 30 days per calendar year, except as authorized by the director under this section, 11 AAC 18.010, or as otherwise provided in 11 AAC 20. If the director determines that an anchorage or moorage may be damaged or is subject to unusual demand, the director may limit anchoring or mooring in that area to a period 30 days or less per year as necessary to address those situations. The division shall post signs and notices of a time limit of less than 30 days at local harbors, boat launches, and on nearby shores.
    (b) A person may not anchor or moor a boat or floating structure on saltwater in a state park where a sign prohibits such use.
    (c) A person may not leave an anchored or moored boat or floating structure unattended on saltwater in a state park for more than 72 hours unless the person is primarily engaged in recreational activities on a daily basis within the state park or on public land adjacent to the state park where the boat or floating structure is anchored or moored. Unless advance arrangements are made with a state park officer, a boat or floating structure left unattended at anchor or moored to a buoy or shore in a state park for more than 72 hours may be impounded by a state park officer if the officer determines the owner is not engaged in recreational activities in a state park or on public land adjacent to a state
    I don't think this applies to a buoy, the way I read it they are talking about boats, barges, etc. I don't think it is cool to leave gear in a heavily used area, but no one knows the circumstances of why it is there. Therefore, to me it isn't ok to just cut something off because you don't like it.

As I recall there has been some discussion over the years regarding leaving buoys to mark our territory. If a boat is planning on staying in the area for the weekend is it appropriate for them to leave a mooring buoy out, just for the weekend, thereby claiming a parking space? I for one don't see the harm in it. But only for a reasonable amount of time, I know; there's the target statement, i.e. what is reasonable, right? But serously, is it any different than someone camping on the beach and leaving a tent up for the weekend. If / when I pull in a cove and find a buoy I respect that someone is there before me and either give them the appropriate space or relocate all togther. What say you?

Quote Originally Posted by Avid outdoorsmen View Post
    As I recall there has been some discussion over the years regarding leaving buoys to mark our territory. If a boat is planning on staying in the area for the weekend is it appropriate for them to leave a mooring buoy out, just for the weekend, thereby claiming a parking space? I for one don't see the harm in it. But only for a reasonable amount of time, I know; there's the target statement, i.e. what is reasonable, right? But serously, is it any different than someone camping on the beach and leaving a tent up for the weekend. If / when I pull in a cove and find a buoy I respect that someone is there before me and either give them the appropriate space or relocate all togther. What say you?
    Well said.

This discussion reminds me quite a bit of a similiar one that was on the waterfowl forum last year. Had to do with folks setting up thier decoys and leaving them for days on end in a favorite spot and what to do when you come across them-just sit down and hunt over them, collect them and put them in a pile on the side of the pond or just move on. Guess that's why I've always made the effort to get as far away from the crowds as I can. Most folks are pretty reasonable but unforutnately 1 out of 100 can make things difficult for everyone else. I figure I deal with enough of that kind of behaivor during my work week and I don't need to see or even think about it when I'm out enjoying AK.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Avid outdoorsmen View Post
    I was the one who started the discussion a year or so ago about whether or not people should be able to leave a buoy in a cove that they can come back to anytime they want. My opinion was (and is) that it wasn't right and I used the example of it being like leaving a cone in a parking spot. In the end, there were some people who thought that it was not right, and there were some people who thought that it was ok.

Default Generally Allowed Uses of State Lands

Anchoring a mooring buoy in a lake, river, or marine waters, or placing a float, dock, boat haulout, floating
    breakwater, or boathouse in a lake, river, or in marine waters, for the personal, noncommercial use of the upland
    owner, if the use does not interfere with public access or another public use, and if the improvement is placed within the
    projected sidelines of the contiguous upland owner’s parcel or otherwise has the consent of the affected upland owner. A
    float or dock means an open structure without walls or roof that is designed and used for access to and from the water
    rather than for storage, residential use, or other purposes. A boat haulout means either a rail system (at ground level or
    elevated with pilings) or a line attached from the uplands to an anchor or mooring buoy. A floating breakwater means a
    structure, such as a log bundle, designed to dissipate wave or swell action. A boathouse means a structure designed and
    used to protect a boat from the weather rather than for other storage, residential use or other purposes.

State Parks are a different story
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1