Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brand new Suzuki 2.5 4 stroke arrived today...

Default Brand new Suzuki 2.5 4 stroke arrived today...

I just got the motor that I'll be using on my 17' Coleman scanoe today. Now if only the ice would go out in these lakes....

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Wow that showed up quick!

Quote Originally Posted by AllAlaskan View Post
    Wow that showed up quick!
    No kidding, it came via Fed Ex and shipping was all of $95. I've never heard of Fed Ex shipping to AK like that before.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Sweet little engine. It's surprising how well it will push. Only hassle for me is refueling without spilling. You'll be doing that often with the tiny fuel tank if you're running full speed, so plan ahead. Don't know any real good answers for you.

Thanks for the tip BrownBear, I'll carry a funnel with me. Hopefully that will mitigate some of the spilling.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    Thanks for the tip BrownBear, I'll carry a funnel with me. Hopefully that will mitigate some of the spilling.
    It will help, but the big problem for me is seeing the fuel rising the last little bit before topping out. The last few tablespoon fulls really jump it up to the lip, and you overflow. Be sure to hold the funnel up a bit and watch close.

Been thinking about using some kind of small jugs to "premeasure" a tank full. That would be best.

Just take an old Nalgene bottle along for measuring.

The tank in the 2.5 Suzuki holds 0.26 gallon of fuel, or 0.98 liter, which just happens to be the same volume of a 32 ounce Nalgene. Minus 0.02 L of course.

We are a pretty advanced people to be overfilling gas tanks of known volume

Throw a Nalgene sipper in the top, you may not even need a funnel.

-Dan

If you would, shoot me a PM and let me know how the motor runs on your canoe, your general impression, how easy it fires up, etc.. I am planning on buying two of them for my the NuCanoe Frontier kayaks I just bought for my wife and I.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post

Throw a Nalgene sipper in the top, you may not even need a funnel.
    That's the best idea of all. Thanks!

keep the small internal tank filled as a reserve, and buy a 3 gallon suzuki tank with fuel hose. When the 3 gallon tank gets low, you can switch to the internal tank. Constantly relying on the little internal tank will soon become a silly endeavor.

Can those little motors accept a line in for an external tank to where you can run them off an external tank and skip the internal all together if you wanted? I am sure eventually I will be buying one be it this summer, fall or winter.

Good ideas all, Dan - I'll make sure I get a review up whenever I get to take it out. I need to find a big trash can in the mean time so I can go through the break - in process before I get it on the water. It would be a pretty tedious endeavor on a lake. I have plenty of empty 32 oz. gatorade bottles laying around - I guess I could use those for pre-measure.

ALLAK - I would imagine you could just pull the fuel line on the carb and attrach the line from one of those pressurized tanks. I don't see why that wouldn't work.

I honestly think these things will run for quite a while on a tank though, depending on what kind of load they are pushing. The motor won an award for the most fuel efficient four stroke outboard in the world. One of them went something like 67+ nautical miles on a single tank, or single gallon - can't remember which but I would guess gallon. For a day trip on a lake going after some fish I probably wouldn't have to re-fuel unless I was trolling all day. Of course - I'll still always carry extra fuel though.

I honestly think these things will run for quite a while on a tank though

56 minutes at wide open throttle. Pretty darn impressive for a 1/4 gallon of fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    56 minutes at wide open throttle. Pretty darn impressive for a 1/4 gallon of fuel.
    So roughly just under 4 hours at WOT on one gallon of gas, not bad at all! Now just think trolling with that motor at just a hair throttle.

I was talking to a friend of mine the other day about this motor. He said his friend has a 10 foot zodiac style boat with the Suzuki 2.5 and he said that they used it out deer hunting. His friends dad dropped them off on an island coast with two guys (one being 175 the other like 250 I think he said) all their hunting gear and two 12 packs of beer. He said they putted around that Island (Prince William sound) all day on one gallon of gas and then when they shot two deer they had them in the boat also and he said the little motor was surprisingly powerful pushing that boat back around the Island to meet up with his buddy's dad. And at the end of the day they still had gas left over (remember they were putting around not wot) when they met up with the big boat.

After talking to him and reading around I think when I have the money to buy a gas motor for my canoe its going to be one of those little Suzuki 2.5hp outboards.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAlaskan View Post
    ...a gas motor for my canoe its going to be one of those little Suzuki 2.5hp outboards.
    Only hassle with them, but something to consider, is the "reverse" gear. You have a shifter for forward and neutral, but you have to spin the motor around backwards for reverse. Dunno how easy or awkward that would be on your particular canoe, but something to consider.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

ALLAK - I would imagine you could just pull the fuel line on the carb and attrach the line from one of those pressurized tanks. I don't see why that wouldn't work.
    Do these motors use a diaphram fuel pump in the carb, or do they rely on gravity feed from the fuel tank to the carb?

Gravity feed. They told me to hook up a external tank to my 3 1/2 merc I would have to install a 4h/p carb set-up.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Congrats..cant wait to use it.. I mean see it
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Do these motors use a diaphram fuel pump in the carb, or do they rely on gravity feed from the fuel tank to the carb?
    Considering the location of the carb in relation to the fuel tank, I would say it probably has the diaphragm fuel pump. Maybe it wouldn't need a pressurized tank....

At any rate, here's a pic of it running. I filled a trash can with water to run it through the break - in process. It's running like a swiss watch so far!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I had planned on waiting till late summer to pick up two of these Suzuki 2.5's for our Nucanoe Frontier kayaks.

You are making it difficult to wait that long

-Dan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast