Thread: Under shorts

Red face Under shorts

I read on an old thread that someone recommended going commando under whatever you wear as a next to skin layer to help with chaffing.

Anyone got any suggestions on maybe clothing or methods to help with chaffing

Quote Originally Posted by ozhunter View Post
    I read on an old thread that someone recommended going commando under whatever you wear as a next to skin layer to help with chaffing.

Anyone got any suggestions on maybe clothing or methods to help with chaffing

Maybe try these..

http://www.rei.com/product/746327?vc...S_CLOTHING_TOC

I ordered some terramar underwear form campmor last year. They are great.
    They Fit excellent as well as wick water away and keep that area dry. Helped tremediously with my chafing. In Fact they are so nice I went ahead and bought a dozen pair and wear them daily now. they are on sale now for 9 dollars a pair at campmor.com

There are several brands of Drymax, Coolmax, and other microfiber under clothing available. You wouldn't wear cotton top layers out hunting. Under layers shouldn't be any different. Besides, the pair you wear plus one spare is all you need. Synthetic fabrics rinse and dry so easily that you can "do laundry" every night or every other night. I prefer capilene socks for the same reason.

Default Cheaper

I just buy the synthetic underwear at the normal clothing store. Much cheaper and easier to find. Once cotton underwear gets wet it stays that way for a long time and causes chafing. The synthetic ones dry very quickly and are also very slick and allow the outer clothing to slide over them.

Default Duh...

I never thought of it that way..no I wouldn't wear cotton any place else, so no I wouldn't wear cotton under britches.

Thanks for the wake up

oz

I wear a set of Under Armor bottoms, commando-style, under whatever pants I'm wearing. I've used them for snowmachining, fishing, and hunting trips. They are comfortable and warm without being sweltering hot. Good stuff!

Under armor, chafing is gone !

Default Under Armour

Is under armour readily available in Fairbanks or Anchorage
    il vaut mieux Ítre bon que la chance

I've seen it around in Fairbanks. Probably find it cheaper online though.

I will look at buying online, but it still might be cheaper to arrange some through a store in Fairbanks and pick 'em up when I get there, because of shipping costs

What stores do you think would be worhtwhile looking at in Fairbanks?

You can find underarmor at Sportsman's Warehouse for sure. I think I have also seen it at The Prospector.

Thats good. I will most likely leave it and buy a couple of pair when I get there

Just a heads up.....

The Anchorage Costco (on Dimond) has Under Armor tops for $25. They are not they tight-fitting, cold weather versions, but rather a long-sleeve T-shirt style. I have two, and they're great. I wear them in the summer and winter.

Thanks Dan, they will probably be $75 by the time I get there, but I will look them up if I get to Anchorage.

Based on the posts in this thread I have been trying something with what we call bike pants, they are lycra with no padding like true bike pants, and built along the same shape as the under armour that was posted. So far working a treat, no chaffing, no moisture retention and as Mr. Pid pointed out they are easy to rinse and dry PDQ. They don't add bulk under my Icebreaker long johns either.

I will see how they stand up to constant work.

Oz

Default My take

Oz, I will play the Devil's friend on this one. It sounds like you are doing so already, but you may want to experiment with something similar to UA before actually relying on it. Some guys love it and some hate it. For me, it is great for working out in cold weather, as long as I am running or my heart rate is up and fueling the furnace. But as soon as I am on my cool down and walking the last bit, it's like turning on the AC and I am soon an ice cube. That is my experience with the tight fitting stuff. The loose fitting stuff I like much better! And my overall choice is Patagonia wear.

As for undershorts...I'm a free-baller I just where my longhandles and that eliminates overheating in that area and chaffing. Might propose a problem if mr. grizz catches me off gaurd But I imagine I would be washing more than just my undershorts anyway

Default Powder

Get a travel size bottle of powder. Works as a good wind indicator too. Just give the boys a shot in the morning. Helps keep moisture down.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullcurl View Post
    Get a travel size bottle of powder. Works as a good wind indicator too. Just give the boys a shot in the morning. Helps keep moisture down.

hee,hee,hee,hee. Had a good chuckle over that Fullcurl. The powder would have to be unscented wouldn't. Makes sense though.

BnR - The britches I have been trying are very thin and don't hold any heat or moisture but they are darn slippery. Can't keep any pants up that I wear over them. Next training hike, I might just try setting the twins free and go comando and see what happens
    Last edited by ozhunter; 05-25-2007 at 05:11. Reason: get rid of ****