Thread: not to code but?

Default not to code but?

I got a uncle that lived in the upper peninsula of Michigan. he worked for the county road comish. he built a cabin on a slab no footings nothing. He "got" procured- some limestone gravel and put down about a 10" base and then a plastic sheeting vapor barrier and poured 71/2" of concrete (the width of a 2x8) and built a small house on it. Hear in Michigan your rat walls are suppose to be 48" .This was about 33 years ago but the house still appears to be in good shape, even though he's long gone. how do slabs make it in AK, parking lots and such? I poured cement in my pole barn about 4" and it has cracks and some small shifting of height at the cracks. no big deal its just a barn. just wonerding.

Most slabs are done as a monolithic slab.Detail35a.jpg

4" slab with 12x18 edge footers on house I'm working on right now was poured in 1948... Slab is least of its problems.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by kudu View Post
    I got a uncle that lived in the upper peninsula of Michigan. he worked for the county road comish. he built a cabin on a slab no footings nothing. He "got" procured- some limestone gravel and put down about a 10" base and then a plastic sheeting vapor barrier and poured 71/2" of concrete (the width of a 2x8) and built a small house on it. Hear in Michigan your rat walls are suppose to be 48" .This was about 33 years ago but the house still appears to be in good shape, even though he's long gone. how do slabs make it in AK, parking lots and such? I poured cement in my pole barn about 4" and it has cracks and some small shifting of height at the cracks. no big deal its just a barn. just wonerding.
    I've seen a few done like that round here, most look like crap after several decades of freeze/thaw. There's so many variables that go into a pour, it's an art form, for sure. Soil type, ground water, snow cover, winter/summer temps, type/compactness of fill, the batch/mix, type of reinforcement, ambient temp/humidity during cure, etc....these all factor in to the equation in interconnecting and complicated ways. I've poured many foundations of many types over the years (mono slab, stem wall/slab, quad lok, sonotube, footers, stepped) and I still feel like there's a lot to learn.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg