Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mooching Silver in Seward

Default Mooching Silver in Seward

What is your favorite rig for mooching silvers in Seward? Do any of you use a hoochie with a piece of herring? Colors?

Absolutely nothing special and I have no problem catching limits of fish. All I do is use about a one inch long chunk of herring cut at an angle and a single hook through it. Simple but very effective, at least on my boat.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

3-4 oz bannana sinker, ~36" leader, green/white hoochie, two hooks and either a piece of herring or a Berkley Gulp shad. You can usually get 4 fish on one of the shads before they are too chewed up to stay on the hook and sometimes Gulp will dramatically outfish herring.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

pretty same as these guys. I plug cut a herring and hook it to a mooching rig. I have also just used a brads cut plug the same way and caught them.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Cut plug herring on one rod, buzz bomb on the other and see what hits most.

I've had success with one of 3 rigs for mooching. Most of them mentioned already. 3 on Banana sinker with 24" leader and a filet of herring cut in a dimond pattern on a hook. They spin well cut that way. Same hookup of banana lead and leader with a green hoochie or white with pink dots hoochie. Last but not least is a Silver Zzinger which is made by the same company as buzz bombs but IMO work much better. http://www.buzzbombzzinger.com/zzinger.html No matter how picky they get, one of these will work if you in the fish.

Now that we have some ideas for rigging, how about a little info on mooching rod types? Length, weight, brand?
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Rob

I really don't have a "Special Mooching Rod" to to speak. Most of my Rods are Lamaglas Kenia Special or Ugly Stick Med/Heavy Rods with Abu Garcia 6500's and my personal reel is a 7000. I am a fan of level winds vs spinning rods for Ocean Fishing. One Halibut Rod and Salmon Rod per passennger with a spare is all I carry.

That's sort of what I was thinking too. I usually have a couple large halibut rods and other heavy speed jiggers for both halibut and rockfish, but I dont' have much of mooching type stuff other than my 9' salmon rods. I have 2 Abu Garcia Record No. 60's with no rods to go on, so I'm doing a little searching now. Mooching/downrigger rods? If there is such a thing that's even close.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Got my hands on one of these at the sportsman's show in Portland this year. Gary Loomis, himself, was there showing and talking about these rods. Should have picked one up then. PM me, I have a discount code for these.

http://www.edgerods.com/product/smr-905-2wim

I don't have specialized mooching rods, but my salmon/rockfish rods are a pair of shimano 8 1/2' medium scimitars with shimano charter special 1000 reels and 30# braid, the other pair are shimano clarus 9' medium weight rods with avet sx reels and 55# braid. I also use buzz bombs or 2-4 oz crippled herring, point wilson dart, etc type jigs with them. I find a longer rod that can load up and keep tension on the hook is important as they can run every which way and with braid all the stretch comes from the rod. Check the leaders and hooks if you have any gear from last year. Silvers do chew up the mono and hooks need to be sticky sharp. It's not a bad idea to change leaders after a few hookups due to the line getting chewed up.

I'd say sonar is probably your most important piece of equipment as silvers are not terribly picky about terminal tackle in most conditions, though if it's one of those rare bright sunny days and they are running shallow they seem to be harder to catch. Make sure you can mark what depth the schools are running at so you're dropping your rigs where they are running.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

We usually get into them shallow enough that I prefer mooching with a medium weight spinning rod, I tend to stick to really light lead too, 2oz usually. Makes for a really fun fight! Like others I've done we'll with plugged herring, whole herring, big spoons, pencil jigs. A forum member kasilofchris (I think), makes some nice looking jigs. Once you find them their typically not tough to catch.

Are you guys fishin in the bay? I'll have a 19 foot river boat, can I access any rockfish or silvers outa Seward with my set up?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

It doesn't take much of a breeze to kick up a 2-4' chop in the bay. If your boat can safely handle such conditions then it's suitable.

Thanks. Soons I posted that I realized I was thinking about Valdez and not Seward! Lol
    Master guide 212

Your river boat will be fine for Valdez - hopefully the silvers will come in better this year.

Be nice, excited to try some
    New things
    With the family. Any little halibut or rock fish to be had close to Valdez?
    Master guide 212

If the silvers are fairly abundant, the small chunk of herring is perfect. If the fish are more scattered, I like to use a whole herring (smaller size, maybe 4-5 inches) on a sliding, 2-hook leader.

I've been hearing good things about the Gulp grubs/shad. There are quite a variety of shapes, sizes, and colors...what, specifically, are you softbait guys using? I't like to keep some of them handy to try out.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    I've been hearing good things about the Gulp grubs/shad. There are quite a variety of shapes, sizes, and colors...what, specifically, are you softbait guys using? I't like to keep some of them handy to try out.
    You're right- there's a bunch of them. Not Seward, but in the Berkley we've had great luck with the 5" Jerk Shads, any of the chartreuse version plus the mullet, anchovy and blue pepper neon. But that's the tip of the iceberg. The Boss Baitfish and Hand Poured Drop Shot Worms from Basspro are at least as good. Even better when the silvers are closer to the surface are the Calcutta Flashfoil Swim Shads and Tsunami Holographic Swim Baits because they're weighted a bit and you can fish them bare with no other weight on the line. Basically anything close to fish shaped in a reasonable size is going to connect if you match the color of the day or the color of the hour. Heck, a guest on our boat had some pink steelhead worms in his pocket and tried those. Flat smoked anything fish shaped we put in the water. We use assorted plastics and soft baits a lot for silvers because they're a whale of a lot cheaper than hoochies and they come in a lot more colors.

Mooching with a 3/4oz Hoochie and a sliver of herring works but if you really wanna party... Bring a 9 or 10wt Fly Rod with a 10-15ft section of T-14 or bigger and some Clouser Minnows in Chartreuse/ White, Pink/White, Blue/ White, Black/White. You will never turn back!
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast