Thread: Eating a skate...

Default Eating a skate...

So me and a buddy were talking about how much we loved scallops, and it got me thinking about the different times I've heard "a skate wing tastes like scallops." Supposedly you take a pipe and hammer out circles....?

so I ask, is there any truth to this? Any first hand experience? I have been on boats that have caught some monster skates, and it would be nice if they had a purpose....

The two main skate in the Alaskan waters up here are big skate and alaska skate. These are not the same species of skate they use for "New England scallops"... Sadly. I have not tried alaska skate yet but big skate is not only hard to fillet with little actual meat, but is sub par in the flavor and texture categories. The flavor is overly mild, nothing to write home about, and the texture is disconcerting and stringy, it turns into a million little fibers in your mouth. One of our party of 6 enjoyed it but the rest of us were convinced she was wrong, haha, and couldn't bring ourselves to kill another to try again.

I would suggest trying it yourself though... Go for it. But they are not alternatives to scallops.

by the way spiny dogfish shark is very enjoyable deep fried with lemon, if your looking for something else to try, just make sure you clean it directly after catching! It is suppose to get a ammonia flavor if not cleaned early, cannot verify that though as we have cleaned all ours while they were still kicking right after bleeding.

Quote Originally Posted by J2theD View Post
    So me and a buddy were talking about how much we loved scallops, and it got me thinking about the different times I've heard "a skate wing tastes like scallops." Supposedly you take a pipe and hammer out circles....?

so I ask, is there any truth to this? Any first hand experience? I have been on boats that have caught some monster skates, and it would be nice if they had a purpose....
    Unfortunately I found it not worth the effort......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I like'em. Grilled with an Alaskan Amber Glaze, Yum but as BRWHUNTER stated the texture is pretty stringy. Here is a link with a few ideas and recipes http://www.garbagefish.com/recipesskatemain.htm

We had this discussion just last year I think. I put one on the grill last year and not only did it stink bad, it's taste was not so hot either. Our cats, who love any fish, wouldn't touch it. Somewhere along the line I will have to try another but I'm not expecting much different.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me! I have eaten and liked many things from the ocean and other places that some avoid, and now and then you find a winner! Scate? In AK? Those scallop stories had me fooled, more than twice, I just couldn't believe there is not a way to find something resembling seafood in something so big...but NOT. With a lot of work around heavy cartilage that riddles the entire "fish", we got a little something that didn't taste too bad, but like a teaspoon per 5 gallons of skate! Don't bother, certainly not worth killing one, although that is somewhat satisfying when a rookie on your boat wants to believe they are battling a halibut, and you know better after a few minutes...

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Unfortunately I found it not worth the effort......
    second that!
    spent hours sharpening a piece if 1 1/2" galvy pipe, brought the wings back, skinned tham, spent an hour punching and prepping the "pho scallops"
    sauted them nicely, felt and tasted like i was sucking the bottom of a clam hole out, yuk!!
    never even thought about wasting the time or energy to do it again.

While this is what I suspected, I am a little let down. I was hoping the rumors were true. I do thank everyone for their advice/experiences.

I spent sometime working in Akutan some years back. Trident Seafoods has a very large processing facility there. I remember that they were producing several types of imitation scallops there. On type was made out of surimi. THey took a long flat section of surimi and rolled it up like a fruit roll-up and then sliced to scallop sized rounds and coated it with breading. They looked and smelled pretty good when we ate at the galley, but didn't taste nearly as good as they looked. Besides if you pulled the breading off and unrolled it, it looked not unlike a giant tapeworm. I only tried those once. The other imitation scallop they were making was somehow made out of the skates that the pollack trawlers brought in as by catch, I think they did some sort of processing to it above and beyond just cutting circles out of the skate wings, but even those weren't very good. Only tried both varieties once and decided that while the other choices in their galley for food weren't great, they were alot better than any of the imitation seafood they had to offer.

My son brought several bags of it home after spending a summer deck handing for heavenly sights. I wasn't too happy about it occupying my limited freezer space....I think that there is still a bag or two in there somewhere. He made some chowda out of some of it (of course mixed with clams and halibut) that was pretty good actually. I never asked him how hard they were to process.

You would be surprised how many people stick a knife in them and toss them back....I have seen a couple to three guided charter boat hands do this.....

I'd rather eat a skate than to eat a skate.

A few years back we got one in our beach net off of clam gulch. It was so big it's wings and tail stuck up out the truck bed like 2 ft on each side. Measured out at the market in clam gulch 84" wide from wing to wing, from nose to ass it was 66" and the tail was another 38". Tipped the scales at 120 lbs. no one wanted it, no one at all! Lol we ended up leaving it at the ninilchik river campground beach figuring it would give someones kids a good spook.

and the topper of it all was the old gent who ran the market said to us oh you got a decent sized one!!!! Apparently they get bigger!

Release Lake Trout

I caught one that big on a ripping fast outgoing tide. We had to pull anchor and chase it down. We couldn't budge it otherwise. In retrospect I should have just cut the line.

Sent from my iPhone on tapatalk
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem