Thread: Ferry Trail riding

Default Ferry Trail riding

I have never rode the Ferry Trail, but it seems to be the consensus the max width to cross the bridge is 45.5". Has this changed at all recently? I thought I remember someone mentioning that the dings and indents were pounded out at some point.

I'm pretty sure my Honda 500 is too wide at 46".

For those that ride the trail, what kind of wagon do you pull behind?

Well since this is the hunting forum, I better put some hunting relevancy in here. The wife drew DM770, so we're planning a couple trips up there this summer and fall.

We used an Otter Trailer, works great. Also a couple homemade trailers too.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by iusckeeper View Post
    I have never rode the Ferry Trail, but it seems to be the consensus the max width to cross the bridge is 45.5". Has this changed at all recently? I thought I remember someone mentioning that the dings and indents were pounded out at some point.

I'm pretty sure my Honda 500 is too wide at 46".

For those that ride the trail, what kind of wagon do you pull behind?
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...l-bridge-width

It is rather unnerving when you are on the walking/wheeler bridge about mid river, and a train is coming at you...
    We could see where full size trucks were using the train bridge to get across, you would have to be crazy to do something like that...besides having lots of money for a fine, and willing to spend some time in jail.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    We used an Otter Trailer, works great. Also a couple homemade trailers too.
    BK
    Which style? It looks like the bigger ones are 46" wide. Did it rub much?

I think it's the medium size. It has a trailer kit as an option that we put under it. I did not realize that the larger sizes had trailer kits as well. On the trailer the thing has a release to make it a dump bed as well.
    In the winter, we remove the trailer under carriage and add a tongue to tow it behind the sled. It serves year round duty, great set-up.
    BK

Is there another way around the bridge I remember someone saying something about it?
    Does anyone have pictures of the bridge and more importance the walking bridge?

Not to my knowledge unless you know somone at the mine to get in the back way through the gate.
    The walking bridge is the one we are discussing. It's just like the one in Talkeetna.
    BK

Default Ferry Trail Bridge

http://www.personal.psu.edu/drf5063/ferry.html

Ferry Trail Bridge.jpg

The only way around the bridge is when the river is frozen up good and solid. Or unless you know someone at the mine, like bkmail said. Or if you can float...

When I crossed it was a little tight and my rims got stuck at one of the narrow spots, it really sucked since I was already out over the water, and had to climb over the back of the wheeler, get it back off the narrow spot, and lift it up a little, and forward to get it through. They are doing some kind of wind power project over there, ( it's been a few years since I've been out that way ) they may have fixed some of those narrow spots.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    I will add that this link belongs to Dan Farley at Alaskan Camping & Riding Adventures. Thanks Dan!
    "Grin and Bear It"

If you have independant suspension in back you can lift it by the rack and strap between wheels to skinny it enough to pass

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    http://www.personal.psu.edu/drf5063/ferry.html

Ferry Trail Bridge.jpg

The only way around the bridge is when the river is frozen up good and solid. Or unless you know someone at the mine, like bkmail said. Or if you can float...

When I crossed it was a little tight and my rims got stuck at one of the narrow spots, it really sucked since I was already out over the water, and had to climb over the back of the wheeler, get it back off the narrow spot, and lift it up a little, and forward to get it through. They are doing some kind of wind power project over there, ( it's been a few years since I've been out that way ) they may have fixed some of those narrow spots.
    Thanks "Tearbear" that was a wonderful site you posted REPS headed your way. Roland

Quote Originally Posted by 64moosecall View Post
    If you have independant suspension in back you can lift it by the rack and strap between wheels to skinny it enough to pass
    No luck... solid rear axel. If it doesn't fit, I'm planning on turning my rear wheels backwards to fit over the axel more.